What's new

Reformulated L'Occitane Cade shaving soap?

Just noticed L'Occitane website has updated the Cade line and the shaving soap's ingredients list looks completely different. Does anyone have more insights?

The new formula is much shorter than the original one, but to be honest it does not look that good and I hate the fact that it now contains Shea Butter.... I guess I will have to enjoy my current puck and when it's gone it won't be replaced

Old formula, full of good stuff (** means organic origin) and no greasy shea butter as additive:
1592587283852.png

New formula from US/UK/France websites:
1592587312322.png

Last edited:
I'm wary too of (super) fats like shea butter, but sb isn't necessarily a negative (case in point: T&H Apsley hard soap formula).

I'd be more wary of the sodium sunflowerate; hopefully, the sodium cocoate is proportionally adequate.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Sad. Where's the wood? That was the scent component I loved.

I have used a few pucks over the years, all from the previous formula, even before the first one listed (2008?)

There’s already a review on the L’occitan website questioning what they did. Says the lather is weak and dissipates quickly. I’ll never understand why companies do stuff like this.

+1! Sad when folks tamper with a good/great product!! :a19:

Looks like they were trying to reduce or eliminate the palm kernel oil. Glad I have an old puck in my stash.

The Europeans have a bee in their bonnet over the environmental cost of palm oil despite the fact that every other alternative is much less efficient in terms of production from the land use and this fact is acknowledged by the environmentalist groups themselves.

That's a shame. I guess it will be Provence Sante next refill.
I've never tried Provence Sante. I looked them up and saw they only have 2 scents--I've never had a green tea scent, and the Verlaine seems like it might be a bit floral? I'll have to look up some reviews. How do they compare to PdP soaps?

I've never tried Provence Sante. I looked them up and saw they only have 2 scents--I've never had a green tea scent, and the Verlaine seems like it might be a bit floral? I'll have to look up some reviews. How do they compare to PdP soaps?
Provence Sante has a lot of similarities with Pre de Provence, being a hard, vegetable-based soap with shea butter. I like Provence Sante a little more. It leaves your skin feeling nice after a shave; very clean but moisturized.

Scent is mild and does not linger. Somewhat like good soap you might find in an upscale hotel. There is a powdery note to it. There are some floral or herbal notes, but it is a gentlemanly type scent. It is not Grandma's bathroom. People will think you smell nice.

The soap is not too expensive since it lasts a long time. I've seen it around $10 or so. I think it's worth trying as one of the best vegetable-based soaps out there.

Green tea scent is fantastic. The other is too powdery/floral for my nose through many like it.

In my opinion PS performs better that Pre de Provence on all dimensions. It’s not as hard and doesn’t last as long. Like and use both soaps.

Green tea scent is fantastic. The other is too powdery/floral for my nose through many like it.

In my opinion PS performs better that Pre de Provence on all dimensions. It’s not as hard and doesn’t last as long. Like and use both soaps.

Jeff speaks the truth, IMHO. Provence Sante is the best of the French shave soap products. But if you don’t like Shea Butter, you’re stuck with MdC for French soaps, since it’s a staple in most all of them (including Institut Karite).

Top Bottom