What's new

Refinished My Birthday Slim in Orange/Black

I ran across the instagram page for North Shore Razors, who specializes in colorful "gunkote" style refinishes of vintage razors. I have an M-4 Slim that I use approx once per year for my Birthday. I figured I would make it a little more special. My favorite color is Orange. And Black isnt too far behind. So I had the razor done. The process includes being able to specify the color choice for every individual part on the razor. They fully dissassemble and adjust the razor. It was an easy procedure, and the price was okay. I think it came out fine. Looks good. The coating on the doors is just the slightest bit uneven, but it is totally acceptable quality. Check it out.

View attachment 1241633

View attachment 1241632
So, you basically went for the aircraft black box colour design. Flight recorder - Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flight_recorder :biggrin1:

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
It's hard to tell looking at the doors, I do know it is a spray-on type application.
If you feel the doors with your finger, there is the smallest bit of roughness there. And there is one spot on the edge of the door that looks a little uneven. But it really is a good job. Aesthetically the refinish looks 100%. I want to be totally realistic so that expectations are in perspective should someone be so inclined to have one done based on my posting. It’s a great job, but not flawless. I also know that positive results of any plating or refinishing job are very dependent on the condition of the razor prior to the work, and my Slim was in excellent condition. If a razor is submitted with any surface imperfections, it will affect the outcome. I am very pleased with the work done by North Shore. The process was orderly, and the results were very good.

If you feel the doors with your finger, there is the smallest bit of roughness there. And there is one spot on the edge of the door that looks a little uneven. But it really is a good job. Aesthetically the refinish looks 100%. I want to be totally realistic so that expectations are in perspective should someone be so inclined to have one done based on my posting. It’s a great job, but not flawless. I also know that positive results of any plating or refinishing job are very dependent on the condition of the razor prior to the work, and my Slim was in excellent condition. If a razor is submitted with any surface imperfections, it will affect the outcome. I am very pleased with the work done by North Shore. The process was orderly, and the results were very good.
From what I understood as they explained some of the process when I had mine done. The parts are media blasted with aluminum oxide, the gunkote needs a profile and the coating is microns thin like plating, my finger tips are not so sensitive to really pick that up but I suppose someone with soft hands could. Like you I found the work to be really good and yours looks great!

They do nice work - I'm an M3 by 9 days and never even thought to have one of my birth quarter collection done. I have a Red Tip and Fat Boy he worked on a couple years ago.
I like the SG in orange; it's not a usual colour scheme for them. The hardware isn't coming through but if it's gold, well done too! I'm fond of it on my Gretsch and Reverend.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I like the SG in orange; it's not a usual colour scheme for them. The hardware isn't coming through but if it's gold, well done too! I'm fond of it on my Gretsch and Reverend.

Thank you. That guitar is a refinish. Its a 1979 "The SG" which has a walnut neck and body. Ebony fretboard. And a side jack. All extremely unique and desirable things to have on an SG. But "The SG's" look very plain, similar to the Firebrand series. This one was a complete wreck, and I needed to save it. So I had it completely redone. The color is 1970's Dodge "Go Man Go" Orange. The hardware is original chrome. I have a fondness for SG's for some reason. If I played more rock-a-billy I would buy and orange Gretsch in a minute.

2013-05-07 13.35.13.jpg

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I ran across the instagram page for North Shore Razors, who specializes in colorful "gunkote" style refinishes of vintage razors. I have an M-4 Slim that I use approx once per year for my Birthday. I figured I would make it a little more special. My favorite color is Orange. And Black isnt too far behind. So I had the razor done. The process includes being able to specify the color choice for every individual part on the razor. They fully dissassemble and adjust the razor. It was an easy procedure, and the price was okay. I think it came out fine. Looks good. The coating on the doors is just the slightest bit uneven, but it is totally acceptable quality. Check it out.

View attachment 1241633

View attachment 1241632
That is really nice! Beautiful results! 😍

Top Bottom