What's new

Refill Vintage Injectors?

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Some Schick injectors don't look like they were made to be tossed when empty. I was wondering if anybody refills theirs. I tried with one and the process is a PITA. I just stuffed them one at a time right back in the way they come out, with a paper clip holding the spring thingie down. Doesn't look like there is an easy way to open it up. Here is an example...http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-SCH...umAXwxUcYl2HB2iB48rYk%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Doesn't look like you would want to toss the injector. But, it is useless when empty, right? Confusing.

If you're going to toss your vintage injector after one use, I'll take it. On second thought, if you've been man-handling it with paper clips and other tools of torture, I'll pass.

Seriously, the name "injector" refers to the blade-loading device that the blades come in? The razor itself says "insert key" -- and that doesn't mean a paper clip. Any other method can damage the razor and/or blade.:w00t:

See this:

Hopefully, we've kept a vintage razor from the landfill.

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems you are asking how to refill the magazine, not how to put a blade in the razor. I agree, it's a pain but unavoidable if you want to use the old magazine.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Some Schick injectors don't look like they were made to be tossed when empty. I was wondering if anybody refills theirs. I tried with one and the process is a PITA. I just stuffed them one at a time right back in the way they come out, with a paper clip holding the spring thingie down. Doesn't look like there is an easy way to open it up. Here is an example...http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-SCH...umAXwxUcYl2HB2iB48rYk%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Doesn't look like you would want to toss the injector. But, it is useless when empty, right? Confusing.

I am assuming you mean the magazine? Are you trying to fill a good magazine so you don't have to mess with the crappy plastic ones? If so I have finally given up it is a huge pain.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I am assuming you mean the magazine? Are you trying to fill a good magazine so you don't have to mess with the crappy plastic ones? If so I have finally given up it is a huge pain.

Yes, of course the magazine. This one looks too nice to toss, but is useless when empty. They shouldn't make something disposable look too good to dispose of.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Yes, of course the magazine. This one looks too nice to toss, but is useless when empty. They shouldn't make something disposable look too good to dispose of.

I agree.....maybe someone else has a good idea. I have tried and tried the same type of method you are using.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
If you're going to toss your vintage injector after one use, I'll take it. On second thought, if you've been man-handling it with paper clips and other tools of torture, I'll pass.

Seriously, the name "injector" refers to the blade-loading device that the blades come in? The razor itself says "insert key" -- and that doesn't mean a paper clip. Any other method can damage the razor and/or blade.:w00t:

See this:

Hopefully, we've kept a vintage razor from the landfill.

I am many things, but not a moron. I never mentioned tossing a razor, or using a paperclip on one. Even though I am no expert on these razors I do own a few E and G types and I do know how to change a blade.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had to do it because one of the junk Personna cartridges I used (the modern day plastic ones, not vintage) fell apart. It is a pain. I loaded a few into an empty Schick cartridge at one time and will load a few more down the road. But mostly it argues for buying Chicks not Personnas for modern day cartridges. Thank God I also stocked up with about 90 vintage Platinum Plus blades. Those should last me forever since I'm primarily a DE shaver.

I am many things, but not a moron. I never mentioned tossing a razor, or using a paperclip on one. Even though I am no expert on these razors I do own a few E and G types and I do know how to change a blade.
Sorry if I misinterpreted your post. In fairness, your link brought up photos of the razors not the blade dispensers.

I had to do it because one of the junk Personna cartridges I used (the modern day plastic ones, not vintage) fell apart. It is a pain. I loaded a few into an empty Schick cartridge at one time and will load a few more down the road. But mostly it argues for buying Chicks not Personnas for modern day cartridges. Thank God I also stocked up with about 90 vintage Platinum Plus blades. Those should last me forever since I'm primarily a DE shaver.

The Chicks shave better and last longer anyway.

I am not a Personna fan when it comes to injector blades.

The Schick + Plats are great! Used one in my J3 today and after a week long experiment with a band razor, it was a real pleasure to use a quality blade and razor. The +Ps are awesome....especially compared to a band razor.

after a week long experiment with a band razor, it was a real pleasure to use a quality blade and razor. The +Ps are awesome....especially compared to a band razor.
Could you start a separate thread discussing your experience with a band razor? I'd be interested in hearing what you found, even if the overall results were negative.

I have a couple Techmatics and Schick band razors in my collection that I've never used, because everything I hear about them says they were awful shavers.

Even so, they are a part of shaving history, and it would be neat to talk about them.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Sorry if I misinterpreted your post. In fairness, your link brought up photos of the razors not the blade dispensers.

Oh I thought I posted the link to a closed fleabay auction for a set that included a nice gold plated dispenser. Sorry

Could you start a separate thread discussing your experience with a band razor? I'd be interested in hearing what you found, even if the overall results were negative.

I have a couple Techmatics and Schick band razors in my collection that I've never used, because everything I hear about them says they were awful shavers.

Even so, they are a part of shaving history, and it would be neat to talk about them.

Yeah that would be cool, but first I wanna try the Techmatic.

So far I've only tried the Schick, got a nice Tech to try but I wanna give my face a chance to get back to normal. I'll give the Tech a try in about a week, then I can compare the two.

First impressions aren't completely negative, very much like a typical shave you would get from a DE razor, at least from the Auto-Band. We'll see how the Tech does.

Last edited:

You can reload the Dispenser's or Magazines ..That said the Older Ones are harder to do that with..The springs were stronger in them & its harder to reload them without damaging the blade..They also have a sorta coated finish and they can corrode which cant be seen by the naked eye causing roughness..I never use a Dispenser that was made before the 1950s at least probably 1960s..Some Dispensers don't fit some of the later Models either..:w00t:

Billy

Last edited:
Top Bottom