What's new

Reducing Redness

I have quite pale skin which is rather sensitive, so redness really shows up very badly.

I have had skin cancer, I'm fine now, but I have to avoid tanning so I can't darker my skin that way.

Is there anything I can do to help reduce the awful redness I get (primarily due to ingrowns)?

I use Zirh Erase which isn't perfect but works pretty well. It's made just for what you describe and it's main ingredients are: Algin, Carnosine, Chamomile Extract, Cucumber Extract, Grapefruit Extract, Linden Extract, Rose Extract. Kind of expensive, though, at $29 for abut 6oz.

My own regimen is to keep things simple: mostly just a mild splash (like Speick or Floïd) followed by some skin food or a balm (first splash, then balm). IME using alum, hydrosols, rose water sprays, styptics, multiple balms etc. causes just more redness. Later in the day I will use some Proraso P&P which will reduce burn or irritation even further.

My own regimen is to keep things simple: mostly just a mild splash (like Speick or Floïd) followed by some skin food or a balm (first splash, then balm). IME using alum, hydrosols, rose water sprays, styptics, multiple balms etc. causes just more redness. Later in the day I will use some Proraso P&P which will reduce burn or irritation even further.

I'm going to use that regiment on my next shave, thanks for the advice, Frederik.

Glad to hear you're fine now, Tim

Couple of points:
Since I switched to straights I have only gotten 2-3 ingrows over six months (but I don't shave every day.) I was getting more ingrowns with a DE
Redness: sometimes I get it, more often from reaction to soap (sensitive skin here too) but sometimes from hasty and aggressive approach. Most times Coral Skin Food works great for me

@ Frederik: re Alum

I use alum most of the time. When I have not been aggressive I almost don't feel it. Other times - I feel it burns pretty bad.

When it burns, any mild redness from shaving I might have had intensifies greatly - temporarily. I rinse the alum and apply CSF. In some time all redness is gone. It might be 15 - 30 or more minutes, depends on condition, I guess.

I always thought the alum actually helps the skin against later consequences, whatever the damage. Do you, Frederik, find this to be false?Honestly, if alum doesn't help the skin deal with irritation from soap or aggressive shaving - I don't need to be so macho, on the days when I know I have been aggressive I can easily skip the alum.

Cheers
Ivo

Try Brave Soldier Code Blue - very nice aftershave (kind of a little expensive) but has a nice scent, and helps with the redness ALOT. At least in my experience.

Glad to hear you're fine now, Tim

Couple of points:
Since I switched to straights I have only gotten 2-3 ingrows over six months (but I don't shave every day.) I was getting more ingrowns with a DE
Redness: sometimes I get it, more often from reaction to soap (sensitive skin here too) but sometimes from hasty and aggressive approach. Most times Coral Skin Food works great for me

@ Frederik: re Alum

I use alum most of the time. When I have not been aggressive I almost don't feel it. Other times - I feel it burns pretty bad.

When it burns, any mild redness from shaving I might have had intensifies greatly - temporarily. I rinse the alum and apply CSF. In some time all redness is gone. It might be 15 - 30 or more minutes, depends on condition, I guess.

I always thought the alum actually helps the skin against later consequences, whatever the damage. Do you, Frederik, find this to be false?Honestly, if alum doesn't help the skin deal with irritation from soap or aggressive shaving - I don't need to be so macho, on the days when I know I have been aggressive I can easily skip the alum.

Cheers
Ivo

I have found that the Alum does the same for me in regards to the redness and use it everyday.

You might consider finishing your aftershave routine with an application of Talc. Besides acting as a covering agent, I find it quite soothing. It is especially helpful on my neck when I am going to be wearing a collared shirt and tie.

You might consider finishing your aftershave routine with an application of Talc. Besides acting as a covering agent, I find it quite soothing. It is especially helpful on my neck when I am going to be wearing a collared shirt and tie.
Does the talc increase the risk of pore blockage for you?

Do you mean an overall tenderness/pinkness or patchy stuff that only happens right at the follicles?

I've gotten through all of the types of blades in the infamous letterk sampler pack, and only Derbys invariably give me a shave that is completely devoid of the dreaded facefire™. I've found that redness = too aggressive in the first place, either due to my being overzealous or the blade being quite hungry (or both). I don't get along with Feathers too well... :blushing:

So, for me, it's less about trying to calm the fire than not causing it in the first place.

I've using Frederick's suggestion of after my rinse going straight into the aftershave regiment (without alum or DVH2O) and it's really helped reduce my redness tremendously.

Thanks!

I'm glad things have worked out for you, Tim!
Not that I'm against using hydrosols and/or alum per se, but I do believe overstimulating freshly shaven skin with numerous products can't be good. After all, AS treatments are intended to calm/cool things down.

Hi Tim,
I've got the same problem here. Sensitive skin, very pale and it doesn't tone at all, no matter how long I expose it to sunlight. I also get redness in my face after every shave, however gentle it may have been - even a 1-pass shave with the grain with very little pressure brings some degree of redness with it.
I also found the combination of an aftershave splash (I use the Swiss Pitralon and the Spanish Floid) followed by an ASB (Trumpers Coral Skinfood, QED ASC) to be the best stuff for mopping up after the shave. The red spots left after that are something I'll have to live with - when I go out in the evening talc works great to hide it ;)

Tim,

Do you have a heavy or fast growing beard? Have you considered shaving at the end of the evening vs. shaving in the morning?

Randy

What about razor bumps? Same thoughts on this or is this different, Just on my lower neck and up the sides of the neck.

Top Bottom