What's new

Redness

I've been getting redness in area 7 on the diagram here.
I'm really lost, I've always had redness in that area. I've used a cartridge razor, electric and safety, the area gets red after one pass, the redness isn't painful but just noticeable.

That has been the only area on my face that gets red after shaving even when I used a cartridge or electric razor.

Is this caused because of my shaving angle/pressure or is it just genetics screwing me over?

I'm using a Gillette slim on setting 4, Astra sp blades and Nivea sensitive skin shaving cream.

I only do a with the grain and across the grain pass, but I only do a with the grain in the area I mentioned above.

the mapping diagram was just something nicely labelled I found online and is not a mapping of my growth but my growth in that area is downwards.

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

If you are getting redness in one pass, it could be simply really sensitive skin. How long have you been using a DE? Technique takes a while to really get down. You could try adding a shaving oil, which some folks find helpful. You could also go down a notch on the slim to see if it helps.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I've only been using a DE for roughly 3-4 weeks now, yeah I might try adjusting the setting to to see if it helps.
It may clear up as you improve your technique. Also, sticking with one razor, soap, and blade for a month can help you with getting the technique down, although you may already be doing that. I'm sure others much smarter than I will have some thoughts to help.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Have you tried an aftershave balm like Nivea.

Not nivea, but I'm using a post shave face lotion from Everyman jack.

Would you recommend I dump the Everyman jack for the nivea post shave balm or would I have experienced similar results with either?

I also use a cetaphil moisturising lotion after too

Welcome @3/4/17

Since you've had the same problem using carts and electrics, I'm guessing area 7 might be on the opposite side of your dominant hand? If so, it is possible that the shaving rash is caused by poor technique in that area. That part of the face where the cheek meets the jaw can be a little challenging, especially when you need to hook your arm across to shave the opposite area of your face.

A few tips:

- Pay extra attention to your angle when shaving area 7 and use only the lightest possible pressure. Its important you maintain the correct angle, otherwise you risk scraping, rather than cutting, which can cause irritation.
- Ensure your lather is not dry - don't be afraid to add a little more water to your lather, which will ensure better glide and protection. If your lather dries-up a little by the second or third pass, make sure you dip your brush in water to moisten-up your lather a little.

As mentioned by @matwho , some balm or moisturiser will help sooth it and reduce the redness. Cetaphil is a good glycerin based moisturiser for sensitive skin and is often recommended by many dermatologists - Its unlikely to cause any skin reactions. Try dabbing on some witch hazel prior to applying your balm or moisturiser as this should help tone/smooth that area down.

Last edited:
The redness is present on both sides of the face, but yeah I'll try focus more on the amount of pressure I apply and go lower in the settings. I try to get the correct angle before going to that area too.

I'll try adding more water lathering tomorrow.

Last edited:
Some good tips above. In addition, some other suggestions.

I have found that using the two fingers and my thumb to hold the razor with another finger resting on the tip of the handle. This results in holding the razor very lightly with no pressure on the razor. You want to hold the razor as lightly as you can without it falling from your hand. I have found that using the right grip on your razor goes a long way in keeping pressure off of the blade. The wiki deals with holding a razor and may help you. You may have to click on each photo to load it.

Some additional suggestions.
1. Be sure your lather has sufficient water in it. This makes your shave smoother.
2. Be sure your face is sufficiently hydrated whether you use warm or cold water. If your face is wet before you apply lather for each pass, IMHO, your shaves will be better.
3. Take a washcloth and dip it in cold water and then place it on your face after your last pass.
4. Use WH on your face after you do step 3 above. Use an after shave balm that is a good moisturizer.
5. At night, before retiring apply a good quality moisturizer to your face. I use CeraVe but there are other good ones out there, too. Look for a product that has ceramides and hyaluronic acid.

Not nivea, but I'm using a post shave face lotion from Everyman jack.

Would you recommend I dump the Everyman jack for the nivea post shave balm or would I have experienced similar results with either?

I also use a cetaphil moisturising lotion after too
I have never used the everyman jack product so I can"t really comment on it.

I'm going with you just have sensitive skin. You can try and rectify the problem by using a Aftershave Balm Aqua Velva 7 in 1 has had many praises. My suggestion is pick up some Prorasso Pre shave for sensitive skin and let that sit on your face for a bit before you apply your lather. It works great for me and I have seen little to no irritation since I began using it.

I have found that using the two fingers and my thumb to hold the razor with another finger resting on the tip of the handle. This results in holding the razor very lightly with no pressure on the razor. You want to hold the razor as lightly as you can without it falling from your hand. I have found that using the right grip on your razor goes a long way in keeping pressure off of the blade. The wiki deals with holding a razor and may help you. You may have to click on each photo to load it.

1. Be sure your lather has sufficient water in it. This makes your shave smoother.
2. Be sure your face is sufficiently hydrated whether you use warm or cold water. If your face is wet before you apply lather for each pass, IMHO, your shaves will be better.
3. Take a washcloth and dip it in cold water and then place it on your face after your last pass.
4. Use WH on your face after you do step 3 above. Use an after shave balm that is a good moisturizer.
5. At night, before retiring apply a good quality moisturizer to your face. I use CeraVe but there are other good ones out there, too. Look for a product that has ceramides and hyaluronic acid.

Sweet I'll try hold it the way mentioned on the wiki and I'll look more into building a good lather.

I'm going with you just have sensitive skin. You can try and rectify the problem by using a Aftershave Balm Aqua Velva 7 in 1 has had many praises. My suggestion is pick up some Prorasso Pre shave for sensitive skin and let that sit on your face for a bit before you apply your lather. It works great for me and I have seen little to no irritation since I began using it.

I'll think about getting a preshave if the tips given above doesn't work since I'd ideally want to solve the issue without spending anymore money, I've read coconut oil works as a preshave so I might give that ago since it's laying somewhere in my house.

I have a very sensitive skin as well. My suggestion would be to shave with the grain the next weeks untill your technique improves. For me it is very important to do everything spot on, applying good lather and shave at the right angle with absolutely no pressure. Beleive me, at first I had the same problems but I can do a three pass shave now for 5 days in a row without any redness or irritation. It took me a while to find the razor/blade combination that suits me best. Gillette Slim at 4 would not have worked for me in the beginning, my suggestion is to bring it down to 2 or 3 for now.

my suggestion is to bring it down to 2 or 3 for now.

Yeah I switched to '2' and changed to the grip to what @ackvil recommended, the redness is still there but I did notice less redness after today's shave.

I also added coconut oil as a pre-shave since I had it laying around.

make sure you arent reacting to a product, i had painful skin after using an after shave balm. also it just takes time, so be patient

Coldwater reduces redness swelling irritation...

I had a similiar problem but with my lower lip area long ago(four months ago hahah)when I was cartridge shaving and what help me was moisturizing my face everyday with face lotion and with de shaving I don't have any redness anymore. hope it gets better for you

Top Bottom