What's new

Rediscovering the MMOC

One of the first SEs I bought was a MMOC, but at the time I was not fond of it and ended up selling it.
Fast forward 3 years, I got curious about it and saw a nice one on BST so why not.
Also, after a year of using straight razors, my technique did improve.
This time around I treated it as an open blade on a stick. The safety comb is there and it would prevent the blade from digging into the skin, but not from scraping.
Zero pressure is the keyword here.
Also flat angle but the biggest factor - the direction of the movement. The blade should really glide gently in paralel to the skin. If it gets stuck or it "plucks", than the angle is too shallow and the direction of which force is applied is too ""digging in"".

It has been over a week now with the MMOC and the same blade. The blade is also keeping a fine edge beause the angle and direction helps the blade go straight throuh the whiskers, not accross.

Shaves have been terrific - very smooth, almost BBS (i never go for true bbs otherwise I can't shave every 24 hours) and no irritation.

It is not a razor for a fast shave where I am in hurry. It also requires more concentration than other razors. But if I had the time and mental space, which is the case in most mornings, it is a very rewarding tool.

If I had to say what razor I rely on most it would be the Gem MMOC. I have a very dense/tuff beard and a first pass with the MMOC clears most hair leaving the 2nd and 3rd(if I go for it) pass with a DE as really just touch up. I really like the durability of the SE blades and if I use a DE on that 1st pass it gets chewed up really fast.

The MMOC was my first SE, and remains my favorite. I'm a sucker for open combs but, I must say, the Schick E type and Ever-Ready 1914 and 1924 are giving it a run for its money...

I had the E and the 1924.

There is a shift in the opinions here about the 1924. 3 years ago it was not well regarded on this forum but most of the folks that were active here then are not as much or at all.

I still use the 1914 in rotation, and it used to be my top SE pick.

Love my MMOC gives me great shaves with the Gem blades that last at least 8-10 shave. My ER 1912 is my second go to SE.

I've been revisiting mine too. I got it pretty early in my SE journey and it was giving me problems compared to my 1912s so it sat on the shelf. I 've since acquired a 1914, 1924, and Vallet VC1 and they've all worked great for me. I thought it was time to give this one another shot. I've used it 3 times the first was with a used blade I only had 1 small weeper but not a very close shave not bad just not great either. For shave 2 I switched to a new blade and got a very nice DFS with no issues. Today was a true BBS with no issues. This is a great shaver once you get the angle down.

Top Bottom