What's new

Rediscovered Gillette Red Tip - WOW!

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Just got back from a 4-day trip to Pennsylvania for a buddies wedding and decided to bring the Red Tip SS along...I was looking goooooooood at the wedding thanks to this mighty fine little razor.

1958 (D-3) HD Red Tip SS w/ nickel plating...picked this razor off the BST ~3 months ago and couldn't be happier with it. Though, I might have to pick up some red paint at some point...I do miss the paint on the end. I'm sure this has been asked before, but any recs on paint type / color that would match the original color?

View attachment 351075

Speak of the devil .......

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/355021-Red-tip-repaint

Where were you in PA? I split my time between Chicago and the family home in suburban Philly.

And @Kingfisher, just got a FB to play with! I'll let you know what I think!

Forgive a noob here, but what's the easiest way to distinguish a SS from a Rocket? Look for a gap near the TTO mechanism?

Also, did the "heavy/HD" version of the Red Tip always have the two plus marks, or are there some with only one plus mark?

I never knew that the RED TIP came in a HEAVY/HD configuration. Would someone care to elaborate.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
I never knew that the RED TIP came in a HEAVY/HD configuration. Would someone care to elaborate.

Actually, the Red Tip is the heavy configuration... of the Super Speed family.

This photo shows all three entries in the family. The plain silver Super Speed in the middle is commonly referred to as the "Flare Tip" because, well the part you twist flares out on the bottom. The Blue Tip was a version of it with a little different checkering that had less blade exposure and was considered milder. The Red Tip came last and had a fatter, heavier handle, more aggressive checkering and more blade exposure and was considered more aggressive.

View attachment 351129

Here is a period commercial for the line of razors, they call the Blue Tip "Light", the plain Super Speed "Regular" and the Red Tip "Heavy", but refer to all of them as Super Speeds. Hope that helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-gmoyG2PT8

Speak of the devil .......

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/355021-Red-tip-repaint

Where were you in PA? I split my time between Chicago and the family home in suburban Philly.

And @Kingfisher, just got a FB to play with! I'll let you know what I think!

Harrisburg, matter of fact. Awesome state capitol building!

Thanks for the thread on the paint btw, I'm just subscribed to this thread and haven't been keeping up in this forum as much as I'd like to. The Krylon sounds like the place to start!

Actually, the Red Tip is the heavy configuration... of the Super Speed family.

This photo shows all three entries in the family. The plain silver Super Speed in the middle is commonly referred to as the "Flare Tip" because, well the part you twist flares out on the bottom. The Blue Tip was a version of it with a little different checkering that had less blade exposure and was considered milder. The Red Tip came last and had a fatter, heavier handle, more aggressive checkering and more blade exposure and was considered more aggressive.

View attachment 351129

Here is a period commercial for the line of razors, they call the Blue Tip "Light", the plain Super Speed "Regular" and the Red Tip "Heavy", but refer to all of them as Super Speeds. Hope that helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-gmoyG2PT8

I think that's right...I know that there are only "plus" signs on the bottom of the Red Tip SS, but not every Red Tip SS has plus marks. I think these heads were only marked on versions after a certain year ('56?). I'm not 100% sure, but it is probably redundant of me to say "HD Red Tip SS".

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
John, I'd say the ++ Red Tip was about the same gap as a Fatboy on about 4.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the Red Tip was harsh; I'm just saying that comparatively the Fatboy is smoother (for me).

Well, based on Kingfisher's comments I decided to find a user-grade Fatboy and try it, as I have never used one. Very nice razor!

When using a new razor, I discipline myself to use it for a full two weeks, no rotating, to get a good feel for it. I cannot tell if I feel the FB is smoother or not, I'll have to go back to the Red Tip afterwards, I've not used either for an extended period. But I will say I am very much enjoying the shaves with the FB!

At the suggestion of Clutch Cargo (who thinks he may have gotten the original advice from Ackvil), I am starting on setting 4 for the first pass and then going to setting 6 for passes 2 and 3. (The numbers can change, but going up in aggressiveness is the technique he shared with me. Clutch uses a Slim). I find I get a really nice shave, very comfortable that way.

I may end up having both the Fatboy and the Red Tip refinished soon. Thanks, Kingfisher! Two great razors, for sure!

P.S. non-scientific, no measuring, but the Red Tip feel a bit more aggressive than a Fatboy on 4. Could just be me, though. You've got gap, angle and exposure going on here, so I doubt you can get a FB to really feel exactly like a Red Tip, anyway.

Aside from the three examples above here is also the 40's style Superspeed, my favorite of the group. Sub-variations of which include the black tip, in steel or aluminum, take your pick. And don't forget the black handled silver tip,if you want the whole line.

Aside from the three examples above here is also the 40's style Superspeed, my favorite of the group. Sub-variations of which include the black tip, in steel or aluminum, take your pick. And don't forget the black handled silver tip,if you want the whole line.

How do the '40s SS and the black tip and black handled vary from the flare, red and blue. The differences between those three are defined, but I am curious how the others shave.

Red Tip's are the best Super Speed's IMO

full

I think these are just about the most gorgeous razor out there. Such a shame they're too aggressive for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, after reading through all the posts I'm taking up my own item of the week challenge and breaking out my '56 Red Tip! I just wish I had a Red Personna to go with it.

How do the '40s SS and the black tip and black handled vary from the flare, red and blue. The differences between those three are defined, but I am curious how the others shave.

The Super Speed isn't my regular shaver, something to keep in mind about my response, and of course YMMV.

I would say that the 40's models gave a shave similar to that of the Red Tip, despite the differences in size/weight. I found the flare tip, as well as the black handle silver tip to be much milder than the 40's design. The early 40's model (Starting with 1941's Ranger Tech) has a slightly different head design than later 40's models. Some can tell the difference in the shave, I can't say I could tell. While I prefer an open comb, I really like the 40's style Super Speeds. Were I to have one TTO in my rotation it would be either a Red Tip or early (pre 50's) Super Speed.

One of the Black Tip models has an aluminum handle. I've never used i, but I would assume its lighter weight would give it properties to the Blue Tip, a milder shaver. The other has a steel handle and base plate.

Last edited:
I just got one in a trade and it is an interesting comparison between it and the DR I got a couple weeks back. The feel is totally different, large handle & head, but the shave is wonderful. This is a really nice razor.

I have a red tip I've really tried to like but it just makes my face raw. However, I can get a good, comfortable shave with a "normal" flair tip. I also have a Fat Boy but hate it. How about the later black handled SS? How do they compare?

I found my red tip at a flea market and in pretty good shape. I also thought it was a good shave but nothing special. Well last week I decided to give it a whirl and my goodness I was impressed. What a smooth shave.

I just had that moment when you shave, when you realize that you are using the perfect blade in that particular razor.

I used my Red Tip today after a long hiatus, since I wasn't impressed at all with it the first time I used it. I had it loaded with a Feather blade, fresh from the pack, and it made quick and effortless work of my five days worth of whiskers. One of the smoothest shaves that I've ever had, honestly. It rivaled the shave I get from my FaTip Grande, even.

The first time I used it, I had it loaded with a Personna Lab, which usually is wonderful for me, but I had to keep going over spots two or three times to get it decent. Figured I'd file it away and try it with a Feather at some point, and I'm glad that I did! Apparently my personal Red Tip prefers the sharper blades to really show me what it can do. And after that shave, that razor is going into regular rotation!

What blades work best for you guys with your Red Tip?

Couldn't find the gap wiki?? duh... sorry but Are the USA made Red Tip and the Made in England Red Tip(not the Rocket) pretty much the same or is there a difference?? I do know there are the roman numerals III on the Made in England one...

I have 5 razors now, and my Red Tip loaded with a Gillette Super Platinum is my best combination right now!
Mine was an NOS, even had the price tag on it ($1.00), and yes, I paid much more than that.

Top Bottom