What's new

Red DOT on my Govt issue 1911.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I am going to put a RED Dot on my 1911 I bought from CMP. I am wondering if it is cheaper to buy a slide already machined for an RMR red dot or to buy a slide and have it done? Anyone have any experience with this?

I can’t speak to the 1911 platform, but I checked on the same thing for a P365. Milling the slide was about $125 and Cerakote was $60.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Why do you want a red dot on a GI mil-spec pistol? You’d be better served buying a 1911 with an extended beaver tail, better trigger, and tighter tolerances. I’ll be in Texas in April. If you absolutely want a 1911 with a red dot I’ll buy your CMP 1911 for what you paid for it and you can buy another 1911 with some bells and whistles with the money.

Also, 1911 slides aren't always “interchangeable” like a Glock slide is. The barrel will more than likely need to be fitted to the new slide and the slide may need to be fitted to the frame.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Why do you want a red dot on a GI mil-spec pistol? You’d be better served buying a 1911 with an extended beaver tail, better trigger, and tighter tolerances. I’ll be in Texas in April. If you absolutely want a 1911 with a red dot I’ll buy your CMP 1911 for what you paid for it and you can buy another 1911 with some bells and whistles with the money.

Also, 1911 slides aren't always “interchangeable” like a Glock slide is. The barrel will more than likely need to be fitted to the new slide and the slide may need to be fitted to the frame.
That gun is insanely accurate, I just have trouble picking up the sights. Can't see them worth a crap through my bifocals. My original plan was to put the red dot on my Colt. Easy enough to do, I even have the mount for the rear dovetail. I don't have the tools to get the Bomar style sight off. I guess I could have a smith do it.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Personally for me, I would get a new slide so you could keep the original GI slide intact. Have a smith fit the new slide and install the RDS at the same time. You can probably find a slide that’s already cut for a RMR. Then it just needs to be fit to the pistol.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
+1 not to alter a CMP pistol ... I wouldn't reblue or refinish a Rock Ola M1 Carbine, either.

There are tons of 1911/red dot options; though heavy and bulky it could might be. Dunno.

I sold a 1911 GI slide once, for that reason: cannot see that "thumbnail clipping" front sight and tiny rear notch.

Crimson Trace grips? Unsure but won't alter pistol permanently.

AA

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Crimson Trace grips? Unsure but won't alter pistol permanently.
I was thinking this too. I have some in my LCR and they work well. The thing I like most about them is you don’t even need to be able to see the pistol to hit what you’re aiming at. My only complaint is the laser washes out pretty quickly in bright lights.

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
If you have your heart set on an RMR for your 1911 I would go with this little part...
Press out rear sight out of dovetail, press plate into dovetail, attach RMR and zero. That way you don't have to machine the slide and if you ever want to return it to stock it's easy! No permanent modification required.

P.S. I won a $25 gift certificate from EGW at a PRS match. If you decide to go that route you can have it. I doubt I will ever use it, Scott. Gets you down to $21.95 plus tax, title, gills, guts, and feathers. :lol:

Last edited:

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Personally for me, I would get a new slide so you could keep the original GI slide intact. Have a smith fit the new slide and install the RDS at the same time. You can probably find a slide that’s already cut for a RMR. Then it just needs to be fit to the pistol.

That is why I asked if anyone had any experience with buying a slide and having it cut or buying it already cut. I would never do anything to the slide that came out of the Arsenal.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
If you have your heart set on an RMR for your 1911 I would go with this little part...
Press out rear sight out of dovetail, press plate into dovetail, attach RMR and zero. That way you don't have to machine the slide and if you ever want to return it to stock it's easy! No permanent modification required.

P.S. I won a $25 gift certificate from EGW at a PRS match. If you decide to go that route you can have it. I doubt I will ever use it, Scott. Gets you down to $21.95 plus tax, title, gills, guts, and feathers. :lol:
Do you need anything more than a sight pusher? I still think I would buy another slide and just change the slides out if I wanted to go back to the way it was.

I can't watch videos that have to do with firearms at work. I will watch a couple when I get home tonight.
Before you jump onto that raft, you might want to look at TruGlo TFO/TFX sights. I'm very astigmatic and wear bifocals. I tried several of the older RDS sights, but was incredibly happy when a friend introduced me to TFOs. No batteries, no flaring or washout, no wonky plates. I use yellow rear/green fronts and love them!

At least a couple of time a year, I debate about converting over to RDS, but I just haven't seen the quantum improvement(s) that would justify the expense for me, past age 50 (e.g., it would have to be waterproof, rechargeable without removing, lower profile and red or green dot options at the touch of a button).

FWIW, I found I can just ditch my prescription glasses and wear safety glasses. I can focus on the 1911 iron sights much better. The target becomes a little blurry, but I can still aim at it. Its worth a try. I do however, love the RDS on my 629 and the 22 target pistol.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
That is why I asked if anyone had any experience with buying a slide and having it cut or buying it already cut. I would never do anything to the slide that came out of the Arsenal.
I figured as much. I was having a hard time wondering why you’d want to cut into a GI slide.

I went back and reread your original post and realized I completely misread it.

Last edited:

I tried one of those on my M9 and it became a jam-a-matic.

Top Bottom