What's new

reconsidering Speick

Ok, gentlemen, I may, repeat, may -- and the jury is still out on this -- owe an apology to any Speick lovers I may have offended with the following post a while ago:

Am I the only one who doesn't like the smell of Speick? This may get me thrown out of B&B, but I tried the splash today and found the scent to be just horroble. To me, it just screamed "old man" more than anything else I've ever smelled, even in the company of old men. I imagined smelling it in the locker room of some old fashioned gym with the medicine balls and the vibrating belt machine.

Apparently I'm outnumbered 8,562 to 1 in this regard, but I feel that all perspectives on this important subject need to be presented.

Vibrating belt machine photo:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/44165698@N00/50323609/

So this moring I'm in Pasteur Pharmacy in NYC and I see the tester of Speick splash, and, for some reason, decide to try it again. Lo and behold, the stuff doesn't smell half bad and, actually, smells kinda good (albeit in a bit of a different way). So, I bought a bottle and we'll have to see if it pans out. If my face and my wife like it, you may have a convert on your hands. Please don't gloat.

Maybe it's just that you are getting old(er) :wink:.

No, seriously, I absolutely love the Speick scent, nevermind it's healing abilities.

It's not heavy and doesn't linger around too long. Like all alcohol-based after shaves I like to use it with a medium wet face (almost dry).
Great that you reconsidered.

Like when I first got my bowl of Tabac. Man, did it stink but everyone on the forum told me to give it a week and that it would grow on me. Well, after using it for 2 weeks I've sold almost all of my Mama Bear scented soaps in favor of using only Tabac. As with anything else with a scent, YMMV

when i rediscovered that i liked the smell of Tabac, i considered myself growing as a person.

congrat's on gaining life experiance, that's what it's all about.

How much does a bottle run? I have a friend traveling to Germany and may have him pick up a bottle

I find that a lot of a scent's overall impact can depend on what you just may have sniffed immediately before you try it. I have a sample of Mr. Taylor and some Speick. When I sniff the Mr. Taylor's and then immediately sample the Speick, the Speick has a more medicinal quality to me . . like the Mr. Taylor has preoccupied and nullified some of the sensors in my nose. If I wait a while and then sniff the Speick, it's full aroma comes through with all its complexity. I love the stuff.

I was initially the same way about Speick. I ordered the whole Speick lot a few months ago. The cream is great. The balm is...meh. The splash smelled very much of alcohol and I didn't take to it at all. After a week though, man I really loved it. Now it's one of my top two splashes. I just got a shipment of Provence Sante from Shaving Essentials so we'll see if Speick can stay on top.:biggrin:

First of all, I'm not getting older - I'm getting older and fatter.

Leaving that aside, I have to say that I'm pleased with the performance of the Speick so far. I used a balm this morning and my face actually doesn't feel quite as good as when I used the Speick splash yesterday.

In general, I have to say that until I found B&B I would not have thought there were all these splashes out there with skin-friendly ingredients to counterbalance the alcohol and therefore not destroy my sensitive skin. I'm looking forward to trying some more of them this summer. I find balms too heavy to use in hot weather, and never felt I had another good option. So, thanks guys.

P.S. I finally gave into the hysteria and bought a (glass) bottle of Aqua Velva today. We'lll see if the glycerin provides enough of a gentle touch.

Obsessed
Regardless if you stay with the Speick or feel it necessary to move on to something else down the road I applaude you for sticking with it long enough to give it a fair try and assessment.

For me Speick is number one followed very closely by TABAC. Don't you love it ? This is one of the best parts I really enjoy with other B&B members. It's what works and doesn't for each of us and it is all relative. Thanks for sharing!

I do enjoy the scent of the shaving cream, but I can't stand the splash. It's simply too much for me to take - the cream, toned down by my beloved Tüff aftershave, is mighty fine. The aftershave however - it's too much of a cheap manly discounter fragrance.

I do enjoy the scent of the shaving cream, but I can't stand the splash. It's simply too much for me to take - the cream, toned down by my beloved Tüff aftershave, is mighty fine. The aftershave however - it's too much of a cheap manly discounter fragrance.

I love Speick but now I must try this Tüff, thanks a lot.:001_smile I have a bit of ASAD.

Cheers,
David

Top Bottom