What's new

Recommended online sites for finding vintage guns?

I’m trying to find a Detective Special, but gun shows around here are highway robbery. Any recommendations for an online effort?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm not sure if they can do these things by mail order,
but whenever I watch PAWN STARS,
they are careful to specify that they only deal in Vintage firearms.

There is a Federally Mandated Cutoff Date ... somewhere around 1899,
that determines if a gun is vintage or not.

You could start by contacting places like this by telephone,
and tell them what you are looking for.
They can keep an eye out for you,
or even talk to other stores on the super-secret, highly classified Pawnshop Grapevine,
and see if anybody already has it in stock.
Remember, you'll still be paying commissions back and forth,
but it will probably beat the gunshow prices.

I’m trying to find a Detective Special, but gun shows around here are highway robbery. Any recommendations for an online effort?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

All of the online sales of firearms must be either extremely antique weapons and/or must actually be shipped to a current ffl holder/dealer and said dealer must transfer ownership to you. Most of them charge a fee to do this but usually will do it. It is good practice to make sure you ask said dealer first before just shipping something there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
A lot of people like Gunbroker, but I'm not registered and can't see the "sold for" prices. Some people put up items with the prices along the idea that "There's one born everyday."

I'm sure you have, but did you hit the gun shows on a Sunday afternoon before they started packing things up? I got a little Cobra a couple of years ago at a Dallas area gun show like that. The guy was asking $600 something for it and I got it for $500. As I was leaving I saw a 3 inch DS that I had missed before...it was tagged at $675 but the guy offered to let it go for $550.

I don't think I got hurt too bad for a Snake and it shoots great.

img_0003-jpg.853869

I have a number of Colt D frames, including a Detective Special. It looks like new. I paid $450. I think the least I paid was $275 for a first gen Agent. The most I paid was $650 for a NIB, unfired Detective Special II. Most been bought in person at gunshows, pawn shops, or just stumbled upon. You have to get out and look for collectibles in person. Finding smoking deals just laying around on the internet probably won't happen.

I have bought a gun or three from gunbroker and have had positive experiences.

Last edited:
There is a BEAUTIFUL DS in the case at Blue Ridge, GA Ace Hardware. Google and call. They will ship to a FFL. I think they are asking about $700. Gun is around 1975 vintage I think ....superb condition

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
The most I paid was $650 for a NIB, unfired Detective Special II.

Wow. Last unfired DS I saw at a show...third issue from '68 or so...was $1,200 with box and docs. I offered $900 and he said NO. Looks like you got a good deal on your DS II model.

Top Bottom