What's new

recommended burr grinder for French press ??

Greetings -

I'd love to spend less than $200, but I don't want to spend even a dime on a toy.

Used is fine, but my concern is those nasty flavored beans. That would, of course, render a machine unusable for me.

Looking for a cost-effective tool that will allow me to reliably grind coarse enough for French press, adequately fine for drip, and not make me curse about static.

We don't make espresso.

Recommendations welcome.

Thanks kindly.

- Richard

I bought a refurb Gaggia MDF for $150. It had never seen a bean in its life, essentially brand new. I picked that as I do espresso more than I do french press or drip. It can do reasonable espresso grinds and opens up for drip or french press. The unit is a bit quirky in that it has a doser to dispense the ground bean. If you think you might do espresso as well as other formats the MDF is worth thinking about.

I have a Krups burr grinder - works well, multiple settings for diff grinds. My only complaint is that it's a bit of a pain in the *** to clean.

Buy my zassenhaus grinder...

Splendid notion. But no.

When I need a mug o' Joe in the a.m., I need it now. And I'm likely tired & cranky. Which means I don't wanna crank. :redface:

What do you do when the e-lec-tri-ci-ty goes off? Time for hand-crank grinders and camp stoves.

WRT to the horror of flavored beans: run a cup of white rice through your grinder (hand- or electric-operated) -- it'll clean out any remnants of "chick coffee", and give you an opportunity to fiddle with the grind w/o wasting precious coffee beans.

YMMV :smile:

What do you do when the e-lec-tri-ci-ty goes off? Time for hand-crank grinders and camp stoves. ...
I put some water in the kettle, put it on the stove, light a match, turn on the gas, adjust the flame and boil the water for my tea. :001_tongu

...mutter, mutter ... one in every crowd ... mutter, mutter ...

I don't have personal experience with it, but I've seen good reviews for the Kitchenaid Coffee Mill. I wanted one of their old '30s style ones, but they don't seem to make 'em anymore.

What do you do when the e-lec-tri-ci-ty goes off? Time for hand-crank grinders and camp stoves.

WRT to the horror of flavored beans: run a cup of white rice through your grinder (hand- or electric-operated) -- it'll clean out any remnants of "chick coffee", and give you an opportunity to fiddle with the grind w/o wasting precious coffee beans.

YMMV :smile:

This won't gum up the burrs? I once saw someone grind almonds in their coffee mill with extremely unpleasant results. It seems like putting rice through might be something like swallowing a spider to catch a fly...

This won't gum up the burrs? I once saw someone grind almonds in their coffee mill with extremely unpleasant results. It seems like putting rice through might be something like swallowing a spider to catch a fly...

Dry uncooked rice grinds up into granulated-sugar-like powder, which absorbs the coffee oil off of the burrs. Leaves the grinding burrs looking almost like new again, with a light corstarch-like dusting all over the inside.

Works fantastic - the tiny amount of rice powder left on the mechanism has no impact on the first pot of coffee you make after cleaning.

I've had a Maestro Plus for about 5 yrs. and think it is a very easy to use, durable, quality grinder!

I've also been very pleased with my Maestro, had it for 5 or more years. Grinds evenly and leaves a small amount of sludge in the cup for french brewing.

I recently bought new burrs for it and the design has changed slightly. I used to be able just to pop the top burr off for cleaning by grabbing it but now it's really held in there securely. I have to use a pair of pliers to get it off, a minor inconvenience.

Make sure to use instant rice because it's softer. Urnex also makes a product called Grindz designed for cleaning out grinders but it's about 100x more expensive than rice.

And I would recommend not running flavored beans through a grinder at all. I had a grinder that a girlfriend ran some through and no amount of cleaning ever took away this funky maple syrup odor that it had.

I know I'm quite late in responding but...

If you're on a budget the "Starbucks Barista" grinder can usually be had through ebay for >$50 US. The word is that it's not up to the task of grinding beans for espresso but I've used mine for over a year for French press brewing with great success.

On a budget, I'd go with a Skelton hand grinder, personally.

If you *must* get the best deal possible on a decent enough grinder, I would probably go with a Capresso Infinity. I wouldn't use that for espresso, but for your purposes, I think it would work well.

My mother uses a Bodum Antigua and an Aeropress every morning.

I have a Super Jolly and a plethora of brew methods, but it's my job, so I guess I would.

I bought a Rancillo over ten years ago and have been very pleased with it. You can change the grind with amazing precision from extra coarse to extra fine. Other than cleaning it, I have done nothing to it. The bur grinders are the originals.

Top Bottom