What's new

Baratza Virtuoso+ grinder French press and occasional espresso?

So I lived in Europe for fifteen years and got used to good coffee. When I came back to the states in 2012 I traded in my delonghi for a bialetti moka express. I used that for five or six years, but, because you have to wait for them to cool to dump the grounds and I don't drink coffee daily it would often get gross. Then I got a cheap blade grinder and a no name French press. The press was fine but the grinder was craptacular and a pain to clean. So I started buying ground coffee again and often drinking strong tea instead. Now I have a couple of ground coffees I like, but, I would much rather have fresh beans from one of my local roasters. I plan to keep using the French press, but, after eight years I am also thinking of replacing my beloved delonghi too. With that being the case I need a grinder capable of double duty. Money is no object, but, I would rather not get stupid about it. I already spend more on shaving stuff every month than is needed, I don't necessarily need to have the best of the best. I read that the Baratza Virtuoso+ is good for coarse grinds, but, not so good for fine. Is it passable at least someone with experience? I will likely use the press more often so the coarse grounds are very important. I found this grinder online for $249 and that sounds more than fair. I can double that if there is a grinder out there that can truly perform double duty with out flinching, but, if I don't have to I won't.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

So I lived in Europe for fifteen years and got used to good coffee. When I came back to the states in 2012 I traded in my delonghi for a bialetti moka express. I used that for five or six years, but, because you have to wait for them to cool to dump the grounds and I don't drink coffee daily it would often get gross. Then I got a cheap blade grinder and a no name French press. The press was fine but the grinder was craptacular and a pain to clean. So I started buying ground coffee again and often drinking strong tea instead. Now I have a couple of ground coffees I like, but, I would much rather have fresh beans from one of my local roasters. I plan to keep using the French press, but, after eight years I am also thinking of replacing my beloved delonghi too. With that being the case I need a grinder capable of double duty. Money is no object, but, I would rather not get stupid about it. I already spend more on shaving stuff every month than is needed, I don't necessarily need to have the best of the best. I read that the Baratza Virtuoso+ is good for coarse grinds, but, not so good for fine. Is it passable at least someone with experience? I will likely use the press more often so the coarse grounds are very important. I found this grinder online for $249 and that sounds more than fair. I can double that if there is a grinder out there that can truly perform double duty with out flinching, but, if I don't have to I won't.

Just buy a can of Madaglia d'oro, get out your moka pot and be done with it. By the time you are done with your Americanob the pot will be cool enough to disassemble. Just rinse it with warm water. Done.

One more step in the Baratza line is what you are after. Vario-W with ceramic burrs

proxy.php

Hmm. $569.00 on Amazon. I can afford it. I'll have to think about it. I suppose I could get that next month and the delonghi in March. I should probably get new tires first though. I can do two things in a month but not all three. The tires are going to be pricey. Low profile run on flats.

That pic was from a few years ago. I no longer have a Vario-W or the Virtuoso/Escatto combo.

The brute on the right is a modified Super Jolly. I still have the Mazzer, along with 2 Forte BG units. Vario-W uses the same burrs as the Forte. Both have built in scales which is a "must have" feature.

Latest coffee wall

proxy.php

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
That pic was from a few years ago. I no longer have a Vario-W or the Virtuoso/Escatto combo.

The brute on the right is a modified Super Jolly. I still have the Mazzer, along with 2 Forte BG units. Vario-W uses the same burrs as the Forte. Both have built in scales which is a "must have" feature.

Latest coffee wall

proxy.php
I wish I was allowed your real estate @Mick

I built the kitchen with coffee in mind, just like I built the bathroom with shaving in mind

proxy.php

proxy.php
Sir, you do some great work and that is one hell of a coffee setup. I think the vario is a great choice as well, but I don’t often find the necessity for an integrated scale because at home you really only single dose. Weigh the beans and then pop them in the grinder until the beans stop grinding. If you primarily do the moka or other fine grinds I’d also look at the sette, which is a bit cheaper. No matter what you do though, the baratza lineup is easily the best home electric grinders on the market.

I have the Vario with Ceramic burr without the scale as I also only do one or two espressos daily. Also Rancho Rancillo espresso machine. Excellent pair.

Mike

Top Bottom