What's new

Best cheap burr grinder?

Looking for a grinder to give me grounds acceptable for the following:
  • Paper filter drip
  • Metal mesh filter drip
  • French press
  • Turkish

I’d like to spend $50 or less and have it last for several years with moderate use. What do you recommend? Even better, what should I avoid?

I would recommend hand grinders at the budget. I would recommend at a minimum the Timemore C2 (at $55), but I think you should look into upping that budget to $100 by getting the 1Zpresso Q2 with the Heptagonal burrs($99). I haven't personally tried the C2, but I've heard good things about it. The Q2 heptagonal is really good for its price. I've tried my friend's and it produces pretty even grounds. I have the K-Plus that I use for travel and it's really really good, but that's way over the $50 budget. I would avoid the ceramic grinders as their grinds aren't the most consistent. Also, at $50 it would be hard to find an electric grinder. Good luck on your research!

Where you will have a problem is with the Turkish coffee. Turkish requires a very fine grind that cheaper grinders don't typically achieve. I have a Krupps burr grinder that is good for drip and French press, but wouldn't be great with Turkish. I paid less than $40 for the Krupps several years ago, though I think the price has increased a bit since then.

I went through the same search FoolishMortal.... Your problem is the powder grind for Turkish -Greek -Middle Eastern grinds. The only solution is a real brass Turkish grinder. Even at $150 you will not find an electric grinder that produces a true powder. If you do buy a brass grinder you must first spend about 45 minutes cleaning out the factory grease. If you do buy one I will be glad to advise you on cleaning . Maintaining is simple, Minute rice ( it's soft, won't dull burrs ) and a toothbrush .
TCW-0025A-2.jpg

I'm probably going to give this a try:

What I like (based on the description):
  • Price
  • Size - SWMBO is not about to have another appliance on the counter
  • Portable - I can take this (and whole beans) camping and on getaways
  • Ceramic burr
  • Stainless steel frame
  • Easy adjustments - no wrench, no pliers, no guessing
  • Available replacement parts
  • Customer service - seems to be available and responsive
What scares me:
  • There seem to be some plastic parts involved
  • I've read reviews of inconsistent grounds for a grind size

If I order it, I'll report back once I have received and used it. If I don't like it too much, I'll gift it to a buddy who is not especially particular. :cuppa:

However...

I went through the same search FoolishMortal.... Your problem is the powder grind for Turkish -Greek -Middle Eastern grinds. The only solution is a real brass Turkish grinder. Even at $150 you will not find an electric grinder that produces a true powder. If you do buy a brass grinder you must first spend about 45 minutes cleaning out the factory grease. If you do buy one I will be glad to advise you on cleaning . Maintaining is simple, Minute rice ( it's soft, won't dull burrs ) and a toothbrush .View attachment 1500922
Malocchio, which one is that? I looked for "brass turkish coffee mill" and there's a dizzying array of choices.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Looking for a grinder to give me grounds acceptable for the following:
  • Paper filter drip
  • Metal mesh filter drip
  • French press
  • Turkish

I’d like to spend $50 or less and have it last for several years with moderate use. What do you recommend? Even better, what should I avoid?

A few years ago, on the recommendations of various B&B fellows, i got one of these:

1659990208614.png

Made in Japan, decent price, and has kept working for ages. Okay yes, you do have to crank the thing manually rather than just push a button. But I can live with that. (I forget how much it cost me years ago, and have not looked for current prices.)

IMHO at your $50 budget, you will do far better with manual rather than powered. (For $200, you will do far better buying a bicycle rather than a motorcycle.)

Anyhow, hope that helps.

... oh, and you might want to ask this question in "The Café" where talk is all about coffee and tea, rather than here where everyone is talking food and cooking.

... oh, and you might want to ask this question in "The Café" where talk is all about coffee and tea, rather than here where everyone is talking food and cooking.
I thought there was such a forum, but I didn't see it. If you can move the thread, that would be appreciated; if not, I'll cross-post.
[Duh - it's right under the Mess Hall. How did I miss that, you ask? The answer is easy: not enough coffee!]

And thanks for the recommendation. Does that grinder give the super-fine powder needed for Turkish coffee?

Last edited:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
How did I miss that, you ask? The answer is easy: not enough coffee!

Been there done that.

Does that grinder give the super-fine powder needed for Turkish coffee?

It's manually adjustable by tightening a main screw sort of thing. (Not all that different from a manual-gring pepper mill idea.)
1659999038190.png

So if you tighten it "enough" you get the grind you want. I have never tried to make turkish coffee, so don't know how fine that grind is, nor if the Hario goes that fine. But I make great coffee with a Moka Pot with this grinding the beans.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
The Hario Doc recommends above is great .. way better than the electric whirlybirds. But some folks are physically incapable to the extent that everything has to be electrically performed for them,

The Hario Doc recommends above is great .. way better than the electric whirlybirds. But some folks are physically incapable to the extent that everything has to be electrically performed for them,
Understood. I ride motorcycles, chop firewood and cut stuff with a chainsaw, so I feel confident that, given a capable tool, I can grind some beans by hand, even if it takes a while. :)

I have a whirly-blade that's been going forever, and may out-live me, but I'm finally fed up with the inconsistent grind. It certainly doesn't (easily, consistently) support my desire to have the right grind for the application.

I just want to get something that is reliable, consistently consistent, and capable of grinding to the powdery requirements of Turkish coffee, which will make it very easy to use at the office and when camping (less clean-up required); on weekends, the French press comes out. I also don't want to spend $100+ if I can help it.

Maybe I'm asking too much... :(

We have this one. Is it the best out there? Not according to people who know a lot about them. It is quite loud. But we've had ours for 6 years this December and it was a significant upgrade from the little Krups twirly blade grinder we used for years. There are very few days when it isn't used.

I got this one in-house Friday for under $60, I believe.
Works great so far; assuming one applies the top to the acrylic catch box after washing...

I only pour-over (Med) and French Press (Med Coarse), so cannot reply on the Turkish Grind.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I got this one in-house Friday for under $60, I believe.
Works great so far; assuming one applies the top to the acrylic catch box after washing...

I only pour-over (Med) and French Press (Med Coarse), so cannot reply on the Turkish Grind.
LOL on the lid replacement.

I went through two of that model or similar. There was not much to the burrs - when the second failed that is when I moved on. Lasted several years and I was happy. If you try to grind fine/Turkish you are going to likely gum it up and need to clean by disassembly. Coffee would occasionally get stuck in the back crevice and have to be brushed away or the hopper would not line up. Better than a propeller whirl blade; but not for espresso or Turkish.

lasta

Blade Biter
If you can get the Timemore C2 for $55, then go for it. General consensus is that it's equal to the 1Zpresso Q2, which is within 2% of the $350 Commandante grinder.

I've used the plastic/ceramic Harios for years. There is a big difference switching to a stabilized metal grinder. But very little difference between the C40 I use at home and 1Zpresso JS at the office.

$55 Timemore will get you within 95% of the best on the market.

proxy.php

I'm probably going to give this a try:

What I like (based on the description):
  • Price
  • Size - SWMBO is not about to have another appliance on the counter
  • Portable - I can take this (and whole beans) camping and on getaways
  • Ceramic burr
  • Stainless steel frame
  • Easy adjustments - no wrench, no pliers, no guessing
  • Available replacement parts
  • Customer service - seems to be available and responsive
What scares me:
  • There seem to be some plastic parts involved
  • I've read reviews of inconsistent grounds for a grind size

If I order it, I'll report back once I have received and used it. If I don't like it too much, I'll gift it to a buddy who is not especially particular. :cuppa:

However...

Malocchio, which one is that? I looked for "brass turkish coffee mill" and there's a dizzying array of choices.
Go for the 8" ..... free shipping, good price ...... don't forget, it needs to be internally cleaned before use ! ..... Traditional Turkish Coffee Grinder Brass Coffee Mill - Etsy - https://www.etsy.com/listing/1135783863/traditional-turkish-coffee-grinder-brass?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=TURKISH+COFFEE+GRINDER&ref=sr_gallery-1-27&frs=1&sts=1&organic_search_click=1&variation0=2385963833

Top Bottom