What's new

Recommendations for a Small Brush

In an attack of SBAD, I'm looking at small brushes for travel or just to add to the rotation. Aside from the Simpsons Case, which I have in best, I've noticed these:
- Omega Mighty Midget (boar) and Mixed Midget (boar & pure (?) badger)
- Plisson No.8 (all their types of badger)
- Simpsons Wee Scot (best badger)
- Vie Long Pony (horse)
- Travel brushes that come apart (Simpsons, Vulfix, Plisson, Shavemac, Muhle, etc.)

What brushes have I missed, and what do you all recommend? Let's say that the brush should fit fully into a small Simpsons travel tube or its own tube.

If I traveled often there's no doubt I would own a Classic 1 or Classic 2. I have no need for a brush smaller than my Chubby 1 otherwise I'd own one.

I would also consider the Berkeley 46, especially if you face lather. Don't think the Colonel X2L will fit in the tube, but (especially if you bowl lather) you might consider that as well.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I try not to travel anymore but the brush in my Dopp Kit is an old Rubberset and so far I've never found anything I like as much.

proxy.php

But if I had to start out again today I would likely get a small synthetic with a resin handle.

Avoid any product that has the word "Travel" in its model name.
These tend to be UNDER-powered and OVER-priced,
especially the ones that twist apart like the Simpson Major.

The Simpson Case is a well-respected brush at a reasonable price.
It is available in badger and synthetic.
Some vendors include the travel tube, at others you have to purchase it separately.

If you have a brush that works well for you at home,
then buy a spare to take traveling with you.
A pill-bottle or golf-ball-tube makes a good container at little or no cost.

As for the Wee Scot ... it is in a class by itself.
It is often thought of as "just a travel brush,"
but it can hold its own against any of the 30+ brushes in my collection, regardless of size or knot material.
Every wet-shaver should have one of these classics, even if you never leave home.

Last edited:
I spun my wheels and wasted a few dollars looking for the best brush for travel. I tried the Omega boar but didn't like it so PIFed it. I got a Simpson Special and travel tube but didn't realize it was too big. I got a Stirling Lil Brudder but it was too stiff so I PIFed it.

I finally got a Wee Scot that I keep in a kit in my truck for last minute shift assignments. It's good but I wanted something a little closer to home Shaves when traveling.

The Simpson Case is good. And it became the travel brush of choice. Until I found this Frank Shaving 18mm brush (blasphemy!!). $5.53 shipped. Best Badger. It gives a much better Shaving experience. And dries quicker.

IMG_8230.JPG

Fits nicely into the famous tube.

IMG_8232.JPG

If the trip is longer and I take a bigger bag, this travel tube from Q Shave can hold a pretty big brush. Big enough to comfortably hold a RR Silvertip Plissoft.

IMG_8233.JPG

Wee Scot. Great for travel, great at home. A very amazing brush. I've had a couple other brands the same size that couldn't make enough lather for one pass, the Wee Scott can handle three passes. It does take a bit to learn to use that small of brush well though.

Simpsons Wee Scot is an excellent travel brush IHO, and one that gets used occasionally at home also. If you want to go just a bit bigger and denser, then the Classic 1 or 2 would be great options IMO!

Not necessarily for travel, but perhaps my favorite brush is a 21mm Shavemac Finest.
Shavemac’s Finest is 70% Silvertip, and 30% Pure.

For strictly travel, I’d probably go synthetic.

Avoid any product that has the word "Travel" in its model name.
These tend to be UNDER-powered and OVER-priced,

+2

I redid an older SB with a 16mm Finest and it might be my favorite. The ferrule unscrews from the handle to allow me to use a different handle(once I fashion one). I have come to the conclusion that the small the brush, the minimum size for a lather bowl diminishes too. Smaller also dries faster. That is my smallest knot and can be my smallest brush or one of my tallest, depending on the handle chosen.
Star Restore.jpg

I just re-knotted a Simpson that was shedding worse than my Golden Retriever, it was "The Duke". Small and compact, it can easily become a traveler, fitting inside a pill bottle, a travel container that I made from a fluorescent light shield, or actual SB travel container.
proxy.php

Finally, I have been on the look-out for a small, but good synthetic, again, less than 20mm to turn into a possible traveler.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
It depends. If the travel is one night in a hotel, plane trip, another one night hotel, plane trip, etc. then drying is a huge issue. Synthetic for sure.

For most travel what's the issue? Size? Concern about losing the brush?

I often just take one of my favorite brushes. Towards that end, you've listed two brushes - the Mighty Midget and the Mixed Midget - which are favorites, and small, and really fine brushes. At $7 the Mighty Midget is a great brush, and it would be a good deal (sorta) if it cost five times as much. It lathers like crazy and is easy to use. With minimal break in, it is useable and satisfactory, and I would say it's one of the better brushes at any price as it becomes softer and softer. I like the Mixed Midget a lot, too, but it is not quite as soft, and it costs about twice as much.

It doesn't kill me financially to lose a $20 dollar brush in a hotel room, but it still bothers me. It's easier to blow off a $7 forgotten shave brush than it would be for me to dismiss my thoughts about an expensive brush. That said, sometimes I'll take whatever my favorite brush as the moment is on a trip and just be careful with it.

Again, if drying is a big issue, a synthetic is the way to go.

Happy shaves, and happy travels,

Jim

Maggards sells a little Boker brush that is actually a rebranded Muhle. Its a silvertip fibre and is a 19mm, I believe. Its a little pricey at $40 but its probably the best little brush that money can buy.

Thanks for all the recommendations. FWIW, I'm just not a Synth guy. The one I tried (Whipped Dog 24mm) lathered fine, never shed and dried pretty quickly. But it just felt--synthetic.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Mixed Midget, I have; not a great travel brush as it take a long time to dry.

Whatever travel brush, think synthetic for quicker drying, IMHO.

Also, like the travel razor fallacy; how big is having gear anyways? Not very. Travel with a normal razor and brush, I say.

Ultralight backpacking might matter, but.

AA

You may want to take a look at the APShave 24 mm Tuxedo synthetic brush. I have the Blue handle. Got it on the BST. I used it for travel this past week and it is a real performer. Fits great in a No 40 pill bottle. Get the pill bottle and lid at your local drugstore at no cost.
Here's a picture of the brush:
APShave Brush.jpg

Mikey

My travel brush is a Progress Vulfix 2190 in pure badger which comes with a handy travel tube. It has the exact same size with the Simpson Duke 1 in pure at a fraction of its price . Very good backbone due to the bulb knot, excellent lather flow and very inexpensive. I use it also in rotation with my other brushes. Another brush to look is Progress Vulfix 2273 in super badger. Exactly the same brush as the 2160 but filled with super badger, it comes also with a travel case. Those two brushes have the most backbone of all Vulfix brushes. Both highly recommended. You can find them here: Shaving Travel Accessories - Diamond Edge
If you order them outside of EU, deduct 20% of the price.

I have one of the Muhle synthetic travel brushes. It takes up very ,tittle space and is quite nice. I've used it with creams & soaps and it always does a nice job.

Top Bottom