What's new

Recommend me a zippo lighter?

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I like both cigars and pipes, and want to get a zippo that could be used for both.

I see on the zippo website that they have both butane

1691703473519.png

And pipe specific

1691703573326.png

I am fully confused. Which would be best for lighting either a pipe or a cigar? I don't want to burn the tobacco so a low temperature flame might be best.

Help is appreciated!

I'm of the "get the right tools for the job" camp, and the ideal lighter for pipes is not the same as the ideal lighter for cigars.

However, if you are dead set that you want the One Zippo to Rule Them All, i would go with the fluid-burning pipe lighter. It's not ideal for cigars, but it will get the job done, while the torch lighters burn too hot, and will scorch your pipes.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I'm of the "get the right tools for the job" camp, and the ideal lighter for pipes is not the same as the ideal lighter for cigars.

However, if you are dead set that you want the One Zippo to Rule Them All, i would go with the fluid-burning pipe lighter. It's not ideal for cigars, but it will get the job done, while the torch lighters burn too hot, and will scorch your pipes.
Thank you!

I found this webpage:

Pros​

Because soft flame lighters burn around 1400 degrees, the flame is less intense than a torch. You’re less likely to sear your cigars and impart the unwanted taste of butane into the blend. It takes a little longer to light a cigar with a soft flame, but a cooler and slower light preserves the natural flavor of the premium tobaccos in a fine handmade cigar. Most cigar-makers swear by soft flame lighters for this reason. You have more control over how hot the end of your cigar gets because you have to draw on the cigar to ignite it when you’re using a soft flame. Some soft flame models feature a double flame – one that is extra wide for lighting cigars, especially bigger ring gauges.

Excluding disposable brands like BIC, soft flame lighters can last a long time. If your lighter takes a flint, changing it is fast and easy. Soft flame lighters generally require less maintenance because they have fewer components that can malfunction. There are no jets to clean. Many ultra-expensive, high-end lighters are soft flames due to their low maintenance and longevity. Soft flame lighters are easy to travel with. If you accidentally leave your torch in your jacket pocket on your way to the airport, prepare to have it confiscated due to TSA restrictions.

Thank you!!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I'm with @Price
If you're only getting one, then the butane lighter insert yellow flame is the way to go.
A pipe lighter with the hole on the side is not ideal for cigars. While the soft flame butane with the hole on top works for pipes, you do have to do some manipulating.
The one I have and use (from Zippo) does not have an adjustable flame.
The flame height is fine for me, but I don't know if you'll find it so.

I didn't know there was a butane pipe lighter insert. That's pretty cool!

I agree with Phil, yellow flame butane insert is best if you're only getting one.

This. I love my Zippo with the fluid pipe insert. Even in a fair breeze you can light your pipe and not worry about toasting the rim.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Thanks, all of you, so much. I apologize in advance for my basic questions. I know next to nothing.

From the discussion, it seems like the ideal lighter for each is different. In terms of priority cigars are more familiar than pipes.

Are any of the zippo lighters suitable? I love the zippo ping when your open it.

From my admittedly basic research, soft flame cigar lighters take longer but don't risk burning the cigar.

Would any zippo work for me? Or should I give up on zippo entirely?

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Thanks, all of you, so much. I apologize in advance for my basic questions. I know next to nothing.

From the discussion, it seems like the ideal lighter for each is different. In terms of priority cigars are more familiar than pipes.

Are any of the zippo lighters suitable? I love the zippo ping when your open it.

From my admittedly basic research, soft flame cigar lighters take longer but don't risk burning the cigar.

Would any zippo work for me? Or should I give up on zippo entirely?

Just buy two brother :). They are pretty cheap and are really cool to have. Or you can buy one and buy an extra insert.

One with a soft flame pipe insert, and one with a butane torch insert. I would get them in different finishes or designs of your liking so you can tell them apart.

That’s what I would buy, but in the end get what you would think you would use. No wrong choices.
Yes, what @Kentos said. Keep in mind that the pictures you posted in your original post are just the inserts. If you buy an actual Zippo "lighter" it will be a case with either a standard insert or pipe insert that uses lighter fluid. The butane inserts are designed to replace the lighter fluid insert that comes in the lighter. I might be wrong, but I don't think you can get a case with a butane insert already installed.

I have two Zippos coming from that big online shop, a Black Crackle with the regular insert and a wick pipe lighter that's cheaper than the insert itself (it's probably the ugliest of the stock pipe lighters, which it's why it's so cheap). I'm using the pipe insert in the Crackle, putting the regular insert in an a Wally World chrome that I've had laying around for a few years, then using the guts of the Wally World chrome lighter insert to rebuild the insert of a Zippo that belonged to my Dad.

All that said, it looks like the Zippo site is running a special where you get a free yellow flame butane insert with anything you buy directly from their site. That was a few days ago.

Let's not forget the fun part of Zippo life: doomscrolling eBay for custom and vintage lighter bodies that range from the obscure to the bizarre to the sublime.

I have a few different US Army Signal Corps themed Zippo bodies from different eras to accompany the one I bought at the PX when I was in AIT Fort Gordon oh so many, many years ago.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Just me, but I think a traditional zippo insert will be a better overall experience at that price point. Under $25 butane flames are very hit-or-miss and when they're wrong, they are a profound headache.

If you wait a second or two after ignition, the Zippo fluid is basically tasteless in my experience. And it's as dependable as the sunrise. You just need to refill it more often.

If Zippo gives you a butane insert for free, by all means, take it. Just remember you may be getting what you paid for.

I made my decision on which Zippo by purchasing both varieties of the fluid lighter.

You can still get the standard nickel-plated brass "flame out the top" lighter that burns fluid at Walmart for 10 bucks at any register. The pipe style Zippos are 20 bucks at most tobacco shops.

Either one is still a great value for a lighter made in the USA with a lifetime warranty.

I'm not a collector, but have a bunch lying around from my cigarette smoking days.

Still, for on-the-go, I carry a Clipper.

I like both cigars and pipes, and want to get a zippo that could be used for both.

I see on the zippo website that they have both butane

View attachment 1700194

And pipe specific

View attachment 1700197

I am fully confused. Which would be best for lighting either a pipe or a cigar? I don't want to burn the tobacco so a low temperature flame might be best.

Help is appreciated!
From what I've read, the wick pipe insert will allow you to hold the lighter sideways (regular insert doesn't do so well upright) with the flame raising through the hole in the top, draw into the pipe from the bottom, or remove the top plate to use upright like the standard insert, just not quite as wind-proof when you do it.

I smoke pipe and occasional cigarettes. If I smoked cigars (I don't), I imagine I'd just use the pipe insert held sideways as usual pipe fashion, and light from the top...only taking the cap off for maintenance or I needed to use the lighter upright...this is just to avoid wearing on the connection for the top cap.

Also consider the fact that the proper formula for Zippo lighters is always N+1, with N being the number of Zippo lighters you currently own. The plain-jane Zippos are cheap (basic chrome are $10), and the inserts aren't horribly expensive. You can have one of each...

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
From what I've read, the wick pipe insert will allow you to hold the lighter sideways (regular insert doesn't do so well upright) with the flame raising through the hole in the top, draw into the pipe from the bottom, or remove the top plate to use upright like the standard insert, just not quite as wind-proof when you do it.

I smoke pipe and occasional cigarettes. If I smoked cigars (I don't), I imagine I'd just use the pipe insert held sideways as usual pipe fashion, and light from the top...only taking the cap off for maintenance or I needed to use the lighter upright...this is just to avoid wearing on the connection for the top cap.

Also consider the fact that the proper formula for Zippo lighters is always N+1, with N being the number of Zippo lighters you currently own. The plain-jane Zippos are cheap (basic chrome are $10), and the inserts aren't horribly expensive. You can have one of each...

Once you get adept at it, any Zippo fluid insert can be used to light them all. A lot of gents still use standard Zippos with their pipes, and a pipe insert can light anything. Before the 80s, we all made do with the standard Zippo insert for the most part.

I wouldn't overthink it if I were the OP.

Top Bottom