What's new

Recent discovery about the price of spirits

I like the $40-$70 Rums a whole lot better than the $10-$20 Rums. Even my amateur taste buds can tell a difference.

But I can’t tell the difference between a $10 bottle of wine and a $70 bottle. To me it all just tastes like wine.

I once read that a winery often produces a lot of $10 wine in their quest to produce a $70 wine. Thus, there are some excellent wines that can be had for $10 a bottle.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Some people get a bit snobby over these types of drinks. There are a lot of terms used to jack up the price like double barrel, master’s choice etc etc. in the end we have to use common sense. Don’t think there are many of us that empty 1000 dollar bottles every month. There is the stuff you drink on special occasions and the stuff you drink daily. Monkey Shoulder or Buffalo trace won’t offend anyone. A step up could be Redbrest 12. Won’t break the bank with that one. If vodka is your game, can’t go wrong with some Grey Goose. If you like cognac and feeling a little crazy then a bottle of Martell Cordon Blue should do. There is a lot of good stuff out there to be tried.
Martell Cordon Bleu is a great example. I have been going back and forth for several months, watching the Ambre disappear, wondering about a bottle of Delamain Vesper, Hine Triomphe, the Martell, or taking a chance on a small one about which I know nothing. You may have swayed me.

I have been slowly moving towards quality over quantity in my last couple decades. I have learned a few things.

1. Quality bourbon is not a guarantee over $75. Try to find out if high prices are due to scarcity before spending big bucks.

2. I need to drink more wine to decide what I really like. I also have trouble discerNing between cheaper and pricy bottles.

3. I like good tequila and port wine (not together) much more than any of my friends.

4. I rarely enjoy rum drinks, but really like sipping it neat. Better rum is a must.

5. Never leave your nice bottle of scotch out when you know you will be drinking all night. Always pull a cheaper bottle to get into after a pour or 2. Nothing makes a hangover worse than discovering you drained a $150 bottle of scotch in one sitting!

Martell Cordon Bleu is a great example. I have been going back and forth for several months, watching the Ambre disappear, wondering about a bottle of Delamain Vesper, Hine Triomphe, the Martell, or taking a chance on a small one about which I know nothing. You may have swayed me.
Great stuff you just mentioned. Life is short. So much to try. 👍

About wine..When Covid started I go into home wine making in qt mason jars talk about cheap and good. I got the juice free and at about .03 cents for the yeast..Talk about good or I don’t know wine…

The most notable quality/price ratio improvement, IMHO, is when you go from buying Johnny Walker Red to buying Glenlivet 12.

Above that, it's the law of diminishing returns. Yes, I do go down that rabbit hole a ways ... I find my comfort zone in terms of how much "more quality" I want to pay for, and of course there are different paths to follow (Speyside? Islay? Sherry or peat? &c). Yes, there is an additional challenge of seeking and occasionally find products that "punch above their weight" in terms of delivering more quality than their price would lead one to expect ... and the challenge of avoiding those products that are selling a name and reputation from yesteryear rather than today's quality (*cough*themacallan*cough*).

My comments are scotch-based. The OP was focused on cognac and rum ... but ... same thing applies in either case.

Generally speaking ... yes, the $1000 bottle is better than the $100 bottle, but it's not 10x better. But the $50 bottle IS three times better than the $25 bottle.
I agree with all of this. Although I would say that in my experience Scotch and Cognac makers, over all, have it down as far as charging high prices for their best stuff. (I agree that Scotch makers sell some not so great stuff for high prices, too.) In my experience it is hard to find a true bargain in Scotch, much less in Cognac. Rums, tequilas, bourbons, certainly gin, sometimes have true quality at lower prices. (Actually, that may be more in the past for tequila.)

In Norway there is no cheep option😀

I used to work for a company with offices in Aberdeen and Bergen (amongst other locations) and spent one week of the month working in the Bergen office. I used to always buy a bottle of rum and some wine at the airport duty free in Aberdeen when flying out. Other than that I only drank when the company was paying 🤣
When the Norwegians visited Aberdeen they always checked in a bag on the plane so they could stock up on alcohol amongst other things for their return flight 🤣

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I appreciate fine spirits, but under my kitchen sink among the liquid soaps and cleaning fluids you'll generally only find Old Overholt rye, Dewar's scotch, and Powers Irish. And more likely only one of those three at any given time.

Great topic. As a rum fanatic, paying for the good stuff is necessary. I drink fine wine...although the pricy stuff is not always better...Subjective I know.my favorite red cost about $40/bottle for a blend. Straight from Napa though.

Yup. I’ve tried some. I have some! It all tastes like wine. Red or white. I think I can pick out the Merlots and the Cabs and the Rieslings but not by price point. A $15 Cab tastes the same as a $80 Cab
For me, what makes the big difference is how I feel the next morning. I find the cheap stuff always leave me feeling hungover. Not so with expensive wine.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
@owen Old Overholt might be inexpensive, but it's some mighty good stuff (and the BiB is really something to talk about)!

The most notable quality/price ratio improvement, IMHO, is when you go from buying Johnny Walker Red to buying Glenlivet 12.

Above that, it's the law of diminishing returns. Yes, I do go down that rabbit hole a ways ... I find my comfort zone in terms of how much "more quality" I want to pay for, and of course there are different paths to follow (Speyside? Islay? Sherry or peat? &c). Yes, there is an additional challenge of seeking and occasionally find products that "punch above their weight" in terms of delivering more quality than their price would lead one to expect ... and the challenge of avoiding those products that are selling a name and reputation from yesteryear rather than today's quality (*cough*themacallan*cough*).

My comments are scotch-based. The OP was focused on cognac and rum ... but ... same thing applies in either case.

Generally speaking ... yes, the $1000 bottle is better than the $100 bottle, but it's not 10x better. But the $50 bottle IS three times better than the $25 bottle.
Completely agree

I personally fo not like Old Overholt at all, even in BinB expression.

I think there's a place for the amazing stuff, and a place for the really good. Let's take rye as an example.

The best rye I've ever had was the Sazerac 18 year. That has become 4-figure unobtanium, but I paid $75 for some bottles lingering on the shelf of a local liquor store. I don't need to taste it again, but it is wonderful that I did. I feel very lucky, and it enriched my life.

Old Overholt is unfortunately below my "good enough" threshold. Rittenhouse will do for mixing. The regular 6-year Sazerac is my go-to. Not hideously expensive, and completely worth its price to me.

Every so often, very seldom, though, I will spring for something like Whistlepig Old World Cask. It's nice to have a special treat from time to time. I don't feel any craving to have it all the time, though, which is good, because I can't really afford it. The regular Sazerac suits me very well.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
@owen Old Overholt might be inexpensive, but it's some mighty good stuff (and the BiB is really something to talk about)!
In 2007 I still paid only $16 for a full liter of Old Overholt, and I was just about the only guy who bought it from the local liquor store. Then the hipsters 'discovered' rye, and the price jumped nearly every month.

Top Bottom