What's new

Reccomend me a pen!

I have carried several Parker pens that have simply stopped working, and somehow decide to 'eat' then cartridge. Even after several attempts with parker cartridges which all broke. Three 'click' ballpoints that stopped functioning, and two 'twist' pens that would not twist back after 1 month of use, instead twisted the ink cartridges apart.

I like the appeal of a fountain, but since I carry my pens in my pocket the majority of times I think I would prefer a ballpoint. I am strongly considering getting some replacement cartridges for my cross century pen if I can find it again as it is a great performing pen despite the thin profile.

If you are having trouble with the pens not writing (eating cartridges?) that is not a pen problem, that is a cartridge problem. I am not suprised that you have had bad luck with twist mechanisms as they are less durable than the click technology (the shell part can come apart from the inner/business part of the pen).

If you are breaking the click part of a modern metal Parker pen, then you are so rough on pens that I would be very reticent recommending a fountain pen to you.

Possibly not really what you're after, but by far the best disposable pen I've come across is the Mitsubishi uni-ball micro; they're lightweight but very pleasant to write with, with good smooth ink flow and decent-looking results, and they seem to last a fair while. They are unequivocally made of plastic, but don't look as tacky as most do.

I agree with Psychofish on the zebras. I am a Paramedic and my pens definately take a beating and get used a lot. I like the way the Zebras write, they are very durable, and pretty inexpensive. I prefer either the 301 or 701. You can get the Zebras at Wal-mart or Target in a small pack if you wanted to try them. Not quite as durable, but they still last me quite well are the Signo uni-ball. One of my favorites has always been the bic click pens. They aren't very durable, but I love the way they write.

http://www.zebrapen.com/products/steel

Ryan

Last edited:
If you are looking for something inexpensive to see if it meets your standards, may I suggest a Lamy Safair. It is my "old faithful", and I take it everywhere with me.

One of my favorite pens, regardless of price, I've got a half-dozen or so. They're priced reasonably enough that if it falls out of your pocket out in the field, you don't have to cry over it. But get a yellow one anyway, just in case - you won't want to lose it just because it's so good.

I used Sheaffer White Dot Fountain pens, on a daily basis for about 30 + years, before I retired. My career involved a lot of writing and I found that ballpoints tired my writing hand quite quickly.

I tried different brands of fountain pens , but after a period of trial and error found that White Dots, with gold tipped nibs worked best for me. I had 4 of these pens. One was stolen, one was lost and two I still have.

At any one time I would have two. One I would carry on my person or in my briefcase, to use when I went to meetings. The other I would use as my main desk pen.

I would never allow anyone to try out any of my fountain pens. Early on I was told that the nibs wear according to the pressure of the individual owner and one should never allow another to use their fountain pen.

Whether this is true or not, I don't know, but I adhered to it.

If someone wanted to borrow a pen...I would carry a ballpoint to lend to them.

I really prefer writing with FPs. I've found that I get much less hand fatigue when I write with them than with BPs or roller balls. I bought about 30 pens trying to figure out what elements I really like, will probably sell off some later this summer that are good writers, but just don't do it for me. What I will say though, is that there are great FPs to be had from 3 bucks on up, though in my experience, the sweet spot seems to be between 70 and 120 bucks in terms of quality writing and not breaking the bank. If you don't abuse them, they should last for years. A few that I have found I particularly like

Lamy 2000
Pelikan m200
Bexley Simplicity (I'm sure their fancier ones are good too)
Parker 51 (These are all from the 40s and 50s, and mostly have held up great)
Pilot 78g (can be had for as little as 6 bucks on ebay, but add international shipping). No frills but they write well
Sheaffer 440/444 (they can be had new old stock, I think they are from the 70s)

These are just a few that I really like. There are plenty of others that work too. In the end, choosing an FP is pretty subjective, as it can depend on your hand size, writing style, weight and size prefs, etc. You just have to try some.

I also do a lot of writing and changed from a ballpoint to a rollerball about 5 years ago. Why dont you try one ? Start with a cheap one and see how it goes. I use a Dunhill AD2000 for everyday use and am pleased with it, refills are a bit expensive though (Dunhill or Montegrappa)

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
For a beginner fountain pen I would really recommend the TWSBI demonstrator pen. If you dont care about the price, and know you are going to stick with a fountainpen, I would say a Montblanc 146 or 149. Another wonderful option is an Edison pen. This is all in my humble opinion.

If you are still on the hunt for a ballpoint or rollerball, check out the offerings from Lamy. They are not cheap, but they are very good value IMHO.

+1 for Lamy 2000, ballpoint or fountain pen. The fountain pen doesn't use cartridges but instead has a built-in pump.

I would have said Cross but I stopped using my sterling silver ballpoint (a Century 2) ever since cartridge production moved to China. I have nothing against China but quality has really gone downhill since they relocated. I miss the Rhode Island era!

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
A montblanc meisterstuck legrande ballpoint is a must have.. They run in the $350 range... Check out fountainpenhospital.com
John:
+ 1 and I'm so very satisfied with my Rollerball "Starwalker" pen!!! :thumbsup:

Christopher
proxy.php
"Soulmakers for 100 Years".

Last edited:
Man, Chris, you really have done it this time, haven't you? You had to go and ask that question, didn't you? Now everyone will want to offer their favorite starter pen advise. :lol::lol: Heck this thread could go on for ages! The problem is that there are so many pens both modern and vintage to choose from. I guess you need to ask yourself, what am I going to be using this for, how many times a day, and what am I willing to pay.

Everyone has offered very good advice and I suspect that all of these (except for a few hit and miss Chinese pens) are adequate. I would suggest you start sifting until you find a pen that meets you needs best.

Hey OP, you still looking?
My advice is to look at the Cross Townsend if you like Cross pens.
It's very similar to the century but bigger.

I love mine!

Top Bottom