What's new

Reccomend me a pen!

Hello Gentlemen,

I have had a fairly large problem as of late, I really desire a stylish pen that performs well and has a high level of durability. I've spent over $400 in the past year on Parker ball points, cross ball points and numerous others! I loved the Cross for the profile, and the parker for the classic style, but none have lasted the test of time.

I do ALOT of writing in my job, enough to go through a standard pen in as little as a month. Currently writing with a store-bought 1.0 medium tip ballpoint that performs great but is typical plastic fantastic garbage.

Should I venture into fountain pens or is there a reliable and durable quality ballpoint that I can hunt out? I am very shocked that parker ballpoints weren't even as reliable as a $4 plastic ballpoint :sneaky2:

Whats your suggestion gents?

If you are looking for something inexpensive to see if it meets your standards, may I suggest a Lamy Safair. It is my "old faithful", and I take it everywhere with me.

For FP I just got a TWSBI Diamond 530 and it seems to be great pen. I would recommend it and they are relatively inexpensive but well built. It was designed with input from members of "The Fountain Pen Network".

Tom

Hello Gentlemen,

I have had a fairly large problem as of late, I really desire a stylish pen that performs well and has a high level of durability. I've spent over $400 in the past year on Parker ball points, cross ball points and numerous others! I loved the Cross for the profile, and the parker for the classic style, but none have lasted the test of time.

Whats your suggestion gents?

Well before I suggestion something can you please explain "none have lasted the test of time". Do you mean you get tired of the pen or that the pen in some fashion breaks or wears out?

I am sure everyone is going to suggest their pen as the only pen you should consider but really there are a number of pens. You have mentioned a few American pens but what of the Asian and European pens? Let's see you want a stylish pen that performs well with a high level of durability. Here is my list of fountain pens:

1. Waterman Le Man 100
2. Pelikan 1000
3. Mont Blanc Meisterstuck 146 or 149
4. Sailor 1911 Large
5. Pilot Vanishing Point

Waterman has other excellent models that you might want to look into. Also Waterman, Mont Blanc and Pelikan all have excellent ball points to consider.

Well before I suggestion something can you please explain "none have lasted the test of time". Do you mean you get tired of the pen or that the pen in some fashion breaks or wears out?

Yes, this is important to consider. Fountain pens are regarded (by me, at least) to be less hearty than ballpoint tips. Drop a ballpoint on the tip and it's likely to keep writing. Not likely so with a FP. If it's simply the innards that have been breaking, perhaps we can find a suitable replacement.

I've got a Waterman Carene ballpoint pen that is quite nice. There are a couple plastic parts inside the pen, but the pen is made of lacquered brass. As far as ballpoints go, I quite like the Waterman refills to boot. They can be found starting at about $60 shipped on ebay.

I have carried several Parker pens that have simply stopped working, and somehow decide to 'eat' then cartridge. Even after several attempts with parker cartridges which all broke. Three 'click' ballpoints that stopped functioning, and two 'twist' pens that would not twist back after 1 month of use, instead twisted the ink cartridges apart.

I like the appeal of a fountain, but since I carry my pens in my pocket the majority of times I think I would prefer a ballpoint. I am strongly considering getting some replacement cartridges for my cross century pen if I can find it again as it is a great performing pen despite the thin profile.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Kwaka_Chris:
I for one, love Montblanc Pens and I have a Rollerball "Starwalker" pen (engraved with my name and been with me over seven [7] years...around $275-$300 range), which I enjoy immensely because of it's weight, large diameter and ease of writing and beleive that all persons regardless of gender...deserve 'the finer thngs' too. :thumbup:

proxy.php

proxy.php

Christopher
proxy.php
"The act of putting pen to paper encourages pause for thought, this in turn makes us think more deeply about life, which helps us regain our equilibrium". Norbet Platt

Last edited:
I'll be watching this thread. I recently bought an el cheap fountain pen, and fell in love with it. And just bought a few more to play around with. But my work pens are Zebra 701s, I work in a jail setting and need a pen that lasts and can take being thrown around and slammed into walls and such!

from a fp standpoint, i find mont blanc to be way overpriced for what you get...i mean maybe the material (i.e. platinum and 18k gold) is worth what you are paying, but from strictly a writing standpoint i have found that parkers are tops. i own a mont blanc 149 18k, parker 51 and 95, esterbrook 1555, shaeffer vacumatic, and shaeffer pfm...i like the parkers (paired with quink) the best.
also, you say you write a lot, as do i, and i find that fountains don't work well on triplicate type paper and have to use a rollerball for my triplicate work, fyi.

Hmm all good responses,

I think I will have to invest in a decent ball-point for work since we do use alot of triplicate and duplicate papers, and later on purchase a nice fountain pen for writing at home/other reports. I am a little unimpressed that I've gone through Parker Jotters that quick though, has anyone else had bad experiences with them or have I possibly just ended up with duds?

For FP I just got a TWSBI Diamond 530 and it seems to be great pen. I would recommend it and they are relatively inexpensive but well built. It was designed with input from members of "The Fountain Pen Network".

Tom

Did it come off ebay? I've been trying to acquire on of those, I really like the look of demo pens. What nib did you get with it?

Just got a Monteverde Invicta Stealth w/ fine nib and polar blue "bulletproof" Noodler's ink for Father's Day. Love it! There's something to be said about the mechanical nature of a fountain pen and refilling it from a jar o' ink instead of popping in cartridge after cartridge. Go find a $40 Cross fountain at Staples or Office Depot and try it out. I bet you'll never go back to a ballpoint or rollerball ever again!

Did it come off ebay? I've been trying to acquire on of those, I really like the look of demo pens. What nib did you get with it?

No, I actually got it from a member here on the B/S/T. I have the clear and love it. I will probably get another from their e-bay store.

Tom

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I'll be watching this thread. I recently bought an el cheap fountain pen, and fell in love with it. And just bought a few more to play around with. But my work pens are Zebra 701s, I work in a jail setting and need a pen that lasts and can take being thrown around and slammed into walls and such!

Lee Harvey! I want to party with you! :thumbup1:

No, I actually got it from a member here on the B/S/T. I have the clear and love it. I will probably get another from their e-bay store.

Tom

I think the only place you can order new ones is from the ebay store, but I could be wrong. I have a fine nib I purchased from ebay, and an extra fine I got from a member here. I love them both! But I do not have much to compare them to. In addition, I have a Lamy Safari Fine that I like a lot, 2 Noodler's Flex nibs and a Pilot 78g Fine that was the first cheap fountain pen I bought. I have a Lamy Studio Fine nib Stainless Steel that should be coming in the mail tomorrow... Can't wait!

Check this video out. Pretty durable pen, and a great everyday writer that won't break the bank http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqWSZ_E8R5g

Top Bottom