What's new

Reborn DE Shaver

My first post on this forum was to relate how I came back to DE shaving after 28 years, thanks to that commercial featuring Rick of Pawn Stars. Even though I did not buy that razor, the commercial encouraged me to find on-line far more old-style shaving stuff than I'd seen in stores for decades. Since buying and using a Razo-Rock TTO in March I've accumulated 14 other DE and SE razors, mostly older razors made decades ago. Shaving with a Lord L-6, Parker 91R, Gem G-bar, several Techs and Super-Speeds (it was a super-speed that I lost 28 years ago that led to shaving with an Atra cartridge razor afterward) and an American Aristocrat showed me great differences in DE (and SE) razors that I never did appreciate when I was younger. In the first many decades of my shaving as an adult, I used one razor, one tool at a time. I did not even try a whole bunch of blades back then. I should have known after years collecting guns and knives and other tools that once I took notice, there would be more than one “old-style” razor coming in the mail ( and from the local yard sales).

My most recent additions were two RedTip Flaired Super-Speed. The two are slightly different in blade gap, by about .002”. May not sound like much but my favorite razor to use now is the one shooter-grade Red Tip pictured, the one with the largest blade gap. It has lost nearly all of its Red. Only small traces remain in the flutes of the tip. I spotted it by the distinctive wide bands cut in the knurling of the handle. Once I had it in my actual hands, I could see the small bits of red and could also measure the larger diameter of the handle. It also weighs more than a super-speed. At the time I was not sure about the “+ +”symbols on the head plate on either side of the handle. It was not sold as a Red Tip ( on an on-line auction) and I am happy that I thought I could now tell the difference, even with a lot of soap scum and not-too-good photos.

It has been a happy venture so far and razors are a heck-uv-alot cheaper than guns. I'm glad to be done with ever increasing in price blade cartridges, I think.

Dan

Nice post. I am 55 and grew up only using carts. Saw the Rick Harrison ad and started investigating DE shaving. 4 months later, I could not be more pleased. Great shaves and turned a daily chore into an experience

It has been a happy venture so far and razors are a heck-uv-alot cheaper than guns.

As hobbies go, collecting shaving gear is not very expensive especially when compared to firearms, horses, hunting, fishing, flyfishing, woodworking or golf. And, yes, I have done, and still do, all of those. However, I may have to live to be 150 and not buy any more shave gear before I start "saving money" with DE shaving, but that is no longer the objective for me.

Happy to have you here! Very nice Red Tip. Where are your other acquisitions? We love pictures.

Top Bottom