What's new

Realistic Prepping (non-political)

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I've drank water straight from the river (as has my wife because I told her it was fine). This was on a fitness training run in Lexington. We my have lucked out because the waterfall but now we know better
Don't attempt that in the big river north of you (Ohio River)

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Up in the White Mountains near Bethlehem, New Hampshire is a place the locals go to fill their 5 gallon water jugs and my daughter would run that area and fill her water bottles for school.
She said that the water is periodically tested and is okay. Comes straight out of the mountain and somebody attached a few feet of PVC pipe to make filling bottles and jugs a snap.
I drank the water and it’s really good. Better than our unfiltered well water at the ranch!!

Up in the White Mountains near Bethlehem, New Hampshire is a place the locals go to fill their 5 gallon water jugs and my daughter would run that area and fill her water bottles for school.
She said that the water is periodically tested and is okay. Comes straight out of the mountain and somebody attached a few feet of PVC pipe to make filling bottles and jugs a snap.
I drank the water and it’s really good. Better than our unfiltered well water at the ranch!!
Vermont? Yeah I don't doubt that for a second. Pure as rain probably.

I started getting my feet into prepping a few years ago. I was of the mindset "oh i'll never have to use this, but just in case I do, its nice to have" up until the whole nuclear missile incoming scare of Hawaii. I was stationed there at the time, and even though I had more than enough supplies to last for a month, it still caught me off guard. It didn't really hit me until I had already yanked my wife and son out of their beds and dragged them into the laundry room (most inner room of the house) that I was unprepared mentally. Vowing to never let that happen again, I paid closer attention to what I had on hand, and more importantly, how to use it. You can have all the preps in the world, but they won't do you any good if you don't know how to use them.

Way off topic but do you really think so?
Just my opinion, LinkedIn is an excellent tool for a number of purposes. For the sales types, in particular the ones who cold call, its indispensable in making connections and finding who to talk with. For anyone hiring its a very good way to quickly check how honest/accurate their resume is. People seem to be fine with BS'ing on a resume or online application but are more reluctant to do so on LinkedIn where everyone can see it. The flip side of that for people looking to be hired also valuable especially if you're looking to attract recruiters/headhunters. I have a few friends in that pimp'ish field and if they don't have a candidate in their stable they mine LinkedIn.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Just my opinion, LinkedIn is an excellent tool for a number of purposes. For the sales types, in particular the ones who cold call, its indispensable in making connections and finding who to talk with. For anyone hiring its a very good way to quickly check how honest/accurate their resume is. People seem to be fine with BS'ing on a resume or online application but are more reluctant to do so on LinkedIn where everyone can see it. The flip side of that for people looking to be hired also valuable especially if you're looking to attract recruiters/headhunters. I have a few friends in that pimp'ish field and if they don't have a candidate in their stable they mine LinkedIn.
I have an account but I never use it. It does seem like a really good idea though. Thanks for the info

Your bug out "bag" is going to be a minivan with what you want to pack
The van will hold lots of necessities to be sure!! Inside the van is a bug out bag which would have the same necessities....but obviously fewer items. Inside THAT bag would be a zippered pouch with the bare essentials including a small sling shot (if I have to ditch the van AND the bag).

The recent government shutdown has shown many people will be tossed out of their home after one missed paycheck, or at least, they will have that perception. Why should people need food pantries so soon?

The most likely scenario for prepping is sudden job loss. Another likely scenario is illness. If two people in a household are working, it's at least twice as likely to happen. I suspect it makes it more likely just because statistics are funny, and I don't know the math.

I didn't know until a couple of days ago that there was a government shutdown. I don't watch the news, read the paper, or even listen to the radio these days. It didn't(and doesn't) affect me in the least. For all I care, they can stay shut down. :D

Gary's right, it's job loss or illness. After that, it's probably whatever nature event is most common in your area.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I didn't know until a couple of days ago that there was a government shutdown. I don't watch the news, read the paper, or even listen to the radio these days. It didn't(and doesn't) affect me in the least. For all I care, they can stay shut down. :D

Gary's right, it's job loss or illness. After that, it's probably whatever nature event is most common in your area.
The shut down included department that inspect our food, and things like that. When recalls of food happen it is because cases are tracked by the government, not because of the benevolence of corporations.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
The shut down included department that inspect our food, and things like that. When recalls of food happen it is because cases are tracked by the government, not because of the benevolence of corporations.

Not always true. Many companies test their products regularly and initiate recalls on their own. The Dept of Agriculture and/or FDA will get involved after the fact but they're not the ones who solely initiate recalls in the food industry. They do oversee the recalls however. Yes, there are some bad actors in the food industry but on the whole, most take food safety pretty seriously.

As far as the shutdown, I really don't know enough about it...

Last edited:

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Not always true. Many companies test their products regularly and initiate recalls on their own. The Dept of Agriculture and/or FDA will get involved after the fact but they're not the ones who solely initiate recalls in the food industry. They do oversee the recalls however. Yes, there are some bad actors in the food industry but on the whole, most take food safety pretty seriously.

As far as the shutdown, I really don't know enough about it...

Edit: Antidiarrheal is a great prep!

Top Bottom