What's new

Should You Pay Off Your Mortgage Or Not ???

here is an interesting idea about this subject...

Laura Rowley Money & Happiness

The Cost of Peace of Mind

by Laura Rowley

Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007, 12:00AM
;Jim Schenke, a 40-year-old writer/publicist for Purdue University in Indiana, is a conscientious saver.

Married with a toddler, Schenke has set aside a full year's salary in an emergency fund, because he and his wife decided she would stay home after their daughter was born 18 months ago. That cut their $50,000 income significantly.

Where the Money Goes

Their cars and student loans are paid off, and they studiously avoid credit card debt. Schenke also makes an extra payment each year toward his fixed-rate, 30-year mortgage, which has an interest rate of 6 percent. But he doesn't contribute to his employer's 403(b) plan; Purdue sets aside $5,000 annually for his retirement.

"The only company I owe money to is my mortgage lender, and I'm going to be beholden to them for as short a time as I can be," says Schenke, who follows the debt-free philosophy of the late Larry Burkett, founder of Crown Financial Ministries.

But a new study suggests Schenke might be better off putting that extra cash into the university's retirement plan. Researchers found that at least 4 in 10 homeowners would build more wealth by putting additional mortgage payments into a tax-deferred retirement plan, such as a 401(k) or 403(b).

The Best Possible Future

An estimated 23 million households face the mortgage prepayment versus retirement savings dilemma, the researchers found. Switching the money to retirement savings would save U.S. households up to $1.5 billion a year, they estimate.

"We're not telling people they should save more -- the study is about making optimal use of savings," says Gene Amromin, financial economist with the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, who conducted the research with Jennifer Huang of the University of Texas McCombs School of Business and Clemens Sialm of the University of Michigan. "If you were to move a dollar from here to there without increasing risk, would you come out ahead?"

Using data from the Federal Reserve's Survey of Consumer Finances, the researchers examined individuals who had a fixed-rate mortgage with either a 15-year term or a 30-year term on which they made extra payments; were eligible to participate in a tax-deferred retirement account and weren't maxing out contributions; and took advantage of the mortgage interest deduction by itemizing tax returns.

"The tax code subsidizes both mortgage borrowing and 401(k)-type investing," says Amromin. Homeowners can deduct the interest paid on a mortgage, while workers who save in 401(k) plans reduce their taxable income by the amount they contribute, and the funds grow tax-free until they're withdrawn at retirement.

Do the Math

That makes it important to do the math before you make a savings decision. Consider a homeowner who takes out a 30-year fixed-rate mortgage at 6 percent, and is in the 25 percent tax bracket; he effectively pays 4.5 percent on the mortgage. "If you invest in Treasuries in your 401(k) plan that are earning 5 percent tax-free, that's a risk-free way of increasing your return," Amromin says.

Researchers examined household goals for prepaying a mortgage, and looked at what would happen if they invested the money in a retirement plan instead. For example, in the interest of making an apples-to-apples comparison, the researchers considered two investment scenarios:

Scenario A: The investor puts an extra amount toward his mortgage each year, paying off a 30-year fixed mortgage in 25 years.

Scenario B: The investor puts the extra cash in his 401(k) instead, investing it in Treasury bonds or mortgage-backed securities. After 25 years of paying the mortgage at a normal rate, the investor withdraws a lump sum from his 401(k) to pay off the house -- incurring income taxes (and a 10 percent penalty if the money is taken out before age 59-1/2).

Although mortgage rate, income tax brackets, and 401(k) contribution limits varied among households, in about 40 percent of the cases putting the money in a retirement fund beat paying the mortgage off early, the study found. "Basically, the investor met exactly the same goal of paying off the mortgage in 25 years by spending less money," Amromin says.

Conservative Estimates

How much less? Working backward, the researchers figured out the average difference on an annual basis: The investor who chose a retirement investment over a mortgage prepayment got to keep $400 a year in his pocket.

Amromin says the study probably underestimates the number of households that would benefit from switching a mortgage prepayment into a tax-deferred retirement account, because the researchers made a number of conservative assumptions:

• They assumed investors didn't get a 401(k) match from their employers. In reality, more than 90 percent of plans managed by Vanguard, one of the largest 401(k) administrators, offer a match.

• They presumed the investor would put the money into a low-risk investment -- Treasury bonds or highly rated mortgage-backed securities. Someone investing in equities would likely do better: Between 1926 and 2003, stocks returned an average of 10.5 percent a year on investment, while government bonds averaged 5.45 percent, according to Ibbotson Associates.

• They assumed individuals had a constant income tax rate over time. But retirees often slip in a lower tax bracket, making 401(k) contributions during peak earning years even more valuable. According to Federal Reserve data, 41 percent of households are in the top tax bracket before retirement, while only 18 percent are after retirement.

• The researchers excluded state tax obligations, which would also make the tax-advantaged features of the 401(k) more worthwhile during peak earning years. Currently, 43 states impose an income tax.

A Matter of Choice

For many homeowners, including Schenke, it's more of a psychological decision than a financial one. "If I own my house, I've got my stake," he says.

"Housing is the single biggest part of your costs, and if that's taken care of, I feel like I can get by on a modest income. Every dollar I put into a retirement account, I feel like it's gone for at least 20 years."

But if someone loses their job, no lender will offer a home equity loan, whereas money in a 401(k) could be withdrawn (albeit with a 10 percent penalty for someone younger than 59-1/2 as well as taxes). Meanwhile, the ability to sell a home in an emergency depends on market conditions.

An Outdated Approach

Why do so many people choose to put extra money into a mortgage when other options would likely increase their wealth? "This is really remnant of Depression mentality that has persisted from generation to generation," says Amromin. At the time, most mortgages had one- to five-year terms, with a lump sum payment due at the end.

"Any shock to income meant you couldn't afford your payment -- mortgages were much more susceptible to economic uncertainty," says Amromin, and roughly one-quarter of Americans were unemployed during the Great Depression. "It's fine to pay down your mortgage if it gives you peace of mind, but you should recognize what that peace of mind costs."

For more on the study, and a simple way to calculate the mortgage prepayment versus retirement savings choice, visit my blog.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Until I read everything that has ever been posted, why not? How nice it is to have peers whose opinions you trust to direct you to interesting material.

What the article fails to mention is that once your 401K is maxed out, paying off your mortgage is a very good idea.

Well, here is my approach:

I paid off my mortgage several years ago. Before that, I already put large amounts into my 401-K (I contribute as close to the maximum allowed by law as I can). Ever since paying off the mortgage, I try to put an additional $1600, the amount of my former house payment, into regular savings (a money market account), every month. And that is on top of what I had been putting into regular savings, before that.

I am frugal, but not excessively so. But I try not to throw away large amounts of money on stupid stuff. E.g., I refuse to pay $40-100 per month on cable or satellite TV service, but I happily spend $10 per month on XM radio. We don't have a pool or gym memberships or SUV's. We drive fairly economical cars (one gets 27-30 mpg, the other gets 31-35).

We do spend a ton on our two sons. Private school, vacations, even the occasional trip abroad. I guess they are what we spend our savings for. So, we have to save. So, I prefer not having a house payment.

Tim

I'm moving in to my first home this month. Our mortgage broker told us that it was better to put any money not needed for disposable income into the mortgage. We agree, but we're still going to deposit the maximum amount to our 401Ks that our companies will match. It's free money, why not take it?

ouch

Agreed- you'd be turning down free money if you refused their matching grant, and you should continue to add your own until you hit the maximum.

I love the guys who think that the interest you pay for a mortgage is a "tax break". :blink:

Is there really a need to repost everything that comes up on Yahoo or wherever?

Austin, thank you for the word of encouragement.

To answer you...not everything...I was asked by Joel on the second of Badger and Blades existance to keep the Bshop an active non-shaving forum. Both Joel and Nick usual like what I do.

When the home life or work load gets too heavy and I can not come up with original material I have to rely on other sources.

This particular article was of intersts to me, because I was taught "old school" about the BIG tax break. After I started doing my own taxes, I found out about the farce the tax break actually was.

So this artcile made sense to me, especially the matching funds and maxing out...very good points...

This is how I learn. BB has so much collected talent that when the comments come in, they are usually on the spot.

I just posted a thread for anyone to post topic ideas that we could talk about, please feel free to list any ideas that you may have....

Or I might have to go back to this...

full

whatever works....

best regards,

mark the shoeshine boy

Last edited by a moderator:
Until I read everything that has ever been posted, why not? How nice it is to have peers whose opinions you trust to direct you to interesting material.

What the article fails to mention is that once your 401K is maxed out, paying off your mortgage is a very good idea.

Also if you are in AMT the write off for the interest is less of a factor.

Jim - can you explain what that means?:confused1

AMT is Alternative Minimum Tax, It was designed to close loopholes in the tax law for the wealthy many many years ago.What with inflation many of us working stiffs meet the income trigger of the AMT. Consequently even though you have interest and other deductions they get wiped out to varying degrees by the AMT. Bottom line is you pay more. So paying off your mortgage can be a good thing. Spending less than you make is an even better idea.:thumbup1:

BTW- I am not a tax professional nor do I portray one on TV, Although I do pay a lot of taxes. :mad:

If I may, a note and an opinion from the Canadian side of things.

First, up on this side of the border, we are lead to believe that you guys in the USofA "...would have to be stupid to pay off your mortgage early...." because of all the tax breaks you get. This thread has edumacated me a little and now I see the other side of the story, and it kinda makes sense to me.

Now, up here in C-eh N-eh D-eh, we have a retirement and tax benefit program called an RRSP (Registered Retirement Savings Plan) that is basically and roughly along the same lines as your 401K. I'm not even going to try to make a full comparison because I don't know everything about our RRSP, and I know a hell of a lot less about your 401K.

The company I work for has a pension savings incentive where they will match 50% of my contributions (but I can't touch their money) up to a max of $4000. So, to get that $4000 contributed into my savings, that means I have to contribute $8000, which is well above my current RRSP contribution limit. After general living expenses and a vacation or 2, this will come first, and then after some RAD, TAD, PAD, CAD, etc, the mortgage is next. I do not have the drive to pay off my mortgage early in spite of the interest we pay.

I feel there's a very fine line on the balance scales between living for today and being comfortable in retirement. I don't believe the old adage "He who dies with the most toys wins", I believe "He who plays nicely in early & middle years and is set for a comfy retirement" is the true winner!!!!

Fortunately, The Bride is a Personal Financial Planner with a major Canadian Bank, so she's up to snuff with all rules, regs and changes in investment laws. One less thing I have to worry about!!!:biggrin:

Austin, thank you for the word of encouragement.

To answer you...not everything...I was asked by Joel on the second of Badger and Blades existance to keep the Bshop an active non-shaving forum. Both Joel and Nick usual like what I do.

When the home life or work load gets too heavy and I can not come up with original material I have to rely on other sources.

This particular article was of intersts to me, because I was taught "old school" about the BIG tax break. After I started doing my own taxes, I found out about the farce the tax break actually was.

So this artcile made sense to me, especially the matching funds and maxing out...very good points...

This is how I learn. BB has so much collected talent that when the comments come in, they are usually on the spot.

I just posted a thread for anyone to post topic ideas that we could talk about, please feel free to list any ideas that you may have....

Or I might have to go back to this...

full

whatever works....

best regards,

mark the shoeshine boy

Only a newb to this forum, but I don't mind a mix of the two...

Last edited by a moderator:

ouch

If I may, a note and an opinion from the Canadian side of things.

First, up on this side of the border, we are lead to believe that you guys in the USofA "...would have to be stupid to pay off your mortgage early...." because of all the tax breaks you get. This thread has edumacated me a little and now I see the other side of the story, and it kinda makes sense to me.

I have a friend who thinks I'm a dolt for paying off my mortgage. Every year he brags, "See? I got thousands of dollars back as refund!"

He somehow fails to grasp the point that he had to lay out all of that money in advance, only to get back a small portion of it.:a14:

Top Bottom