What's new

Realistic Prepping (non-political)

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Not always true. Many companies test their products regularly and initiate recalls on their own. The Dept of Agriculture and/or FDA will get involved after the fact but they're not the ones who solely initiate recalls in the food industry. They do oversee the recalls however. Yes, there are some bad actors in the food industry but on the whole, most take food safety pretty seriously.

As far as the shutdown, I really don't know enough about it...
They do it semi-voluntarily to prevent getting fined if they don’t. While government is far from perfect, I place no trust in agricultural corporations (independent farmers are a dying breed) whose only concern is profit. And as more and more of them merge, there is less competition and risk of losing customers.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
They do it semi-voluntarily to prevent getting fined if they don’t. While government is far from perfect, I place no trust in agricultural corporations (independent farmers are a dying breed) whose only concern is profit. And as more and more of them merge, there is less competition and risk of losing customers.

I agree that consolidation in the food industry is a huge problem. Prep accordingly...

According to the rules of the Barber Shop, we are supposed to discuss shaving or perhaps hair cutting once in a while.

This week, the place I get my hair cut increased their prices by 50%. Does anyone know how to cut their own hair? What tools will I need? How would I cut the back? It doesn't need to be perfect.

I can use the money I save to buy more food for prepping.

According to the rules of the Barber Shop, we are supposed to discuss shaving or perhaps hair cutting once in a while.

This week, the place I get my hair cut increased their prices by 50%. Does anyone know how to cut their own hair? What tools will I need? How would I cut the back? It doesn't need to be perfect.

I've been cutting my own hair for a few years now. Granted, I'm military, so it's a military cut. Fade with the left and right ear guards, then square up the rest with either a #1 or 1/2. Cut the top whatever length you want.

Just let it grow, mine was last cut in August of 2016, and at that my hair's been longer.
dave

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!

My wife knows someone who charges me $10 to cut my hair. I’m simple- 4 on top, 3 on sides, raise the sideburns and clean up the back. I give her $15- she does a good job.

My wife knows someone who charges me $10 to cut my hair. I’m simple- 4 on top, 3 on sides, raise the sideburns and clean up the back. I give her $15- she does a good job.

Heard once at a barber shop:

Customer: "Ten dollars? Looks like you could give me a discount; I don't have much hair."
Barber: "That's a finder's fee."

I believe the Venezuelan power grid is more reliable than ours. We've already had 2 blackouts this season which really blows during winter. It's been like this since we moved here in the 90s and my continued griping about it has solved nothing. After the first few years of not even being able to boil water when this happened I changed up what we had on hand and became what I now realize is a prepper.

If need be within 10 minutes we've got most of our daily utility back for reading, cooking, and heat. Given more time and the generator is ready to go so I can cycle the fridge so the food doesn't go bad. The one thing that made the biggest improvement was buying a $15 propane camp stove off craigslist. I've cooked full meals on it, not to mention get coffee brewed and have enough gas bunkered to run it for months. Same for alternate light & heat sources.

Same for food too; plenty of rice, beans, pasta, and canned goods. Also waffle mix as I have a waffle-maker I can use on the camp stove. This is called having your priorities straight. Many times I've made great meals & coffee while we watch the snow come down and curse the power company. Kind of romantic actually. But the bottom line is if JIT food delivery is disrupted or the Norks let off an EMP over Omaha we'd be fine for several months. By that time I will have co-opted my neighbors into draft animal duties as they are clueless. Their idea of prepping is going to a hotel while I'm living the high life at 55 degrees.

Idiots...

I believe the Venezuelan power grid is more reliable than ours. We've already had 2 blackouts this season which really blows during winter. It's been like this since we moved here in the 90s and my continued griping about it has solved nothing. After the first few years of not even being able to boil water when this happened I changed up what we had on hand and became what I now realize is a prepper.

If need be within 10 minutes we've got most of our daily utility back for reading, cooking, and heat. Given more time and the generator is ready to go so I can cycle the fridge so the food doesn't go bad. The one thing that made the biggest improvement was buying a $15 propane camp stove off craigslist. I've cooked full meals on it, not to mention get coffee brewed and have enough gas bunkered to run it for months. Same for alternate light & heat sources.

Same for food too; plenty of rice, beans, pasta, and canned goods. Also waffle mix as I have a waffle-maker I can use on the camp stove. This is called having your priorities straight. Many times I've made great meals & coffee while we watch the snow come down and curse the power company. Kind of romantic actually. But the bottom line is if JIT food delivery is disrupted or the Norks let off an EMP over Omaha we'd be fine for several months. By that time I will have co-opted my neighbors into draft animal duties as they are clueless. Their idea of prepping is going to a hotel while I'm living the high life at 55 degrees.

Idiots...
Now we’re talking! Squirrels and waffles!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
The most likely scenario for prepping is sudden job loss. Another likely scenario is illness. If two people in a household are working, it's at least twice as likely to happen. I suspect it makes it more likely just because statistics are funny, and I don't know the math.

Prep for job loss and illness as follows:
  1. pay off your debt
  2. save money
  3. medical insurance

Prep for job loss and illness as follows:
  1. pay off your debt
  2. save money
  3. medical insurance

In the United States, medical insurance often disappears when a person loses their job due to illness. If you have money, the doctors will find a way to take it. It's easier not to make much money in the first place and go on Medicaid. Don't get married, and if you are married, get a legal separation, so you don't have to pay your spouse's medical bills.

No worries. When the "system" falls apart and millions are trying to microwave their last can of soup, sans electricity, or are busy trying to kill squirrels with a slingshot, or camping in hobo jungles by the tracks, why, just trade your vintage Slim on BST for a couple cans of spam. :)

As someone who grew up on a farm, the only difference between "agricultural corporations" and "independent farmers" is one of scale. There's a practical reason for that, best illustrated by the following:

My grandfather farmed with the industry standard: a mule and a plow. My father moved from a mule and plow to the new industry standard: a tractor and two-row cultivator frame. Now, you can't profitably farm with such a set up. The issue is a combination of the cost of farming, and prices that farmers can get for what they grow/raise. Those I know still in the business are practically "agricultural corporations," though you wouldn't recognize their names.

The only farmers not interested in profit are hobbyists. Even there, I can tell you of one who was very dissatisfied with their investment in goats (feel free to call it a baa-aaa-aad idea). All farming is business, and if you can't turn a profit, you have to find something else to do.

BTW, the shift in scale began maybe over a century ago. During the Great Depression, the standard was the mule and plow, and farmers were beginning to be squeezed. There was a push for collectives, the idea being that it would increase yield and efficiency. Some US experiments in that direction didn't pan out, and the drop in equipment costs and increased yields made that a mote point.

Idiots...

Not many ice storms in Venezuela.

BTW, have talked with utility guys from South America, and their life can get...interesting.

As someone who grew up on a farm, the only difference between "agricultural corporations" and "independent farmers" is one of scale. There's a practical reason for that, best illustrated by the following:

My grandfather farmed with the industry standard: a mule and a plow. My father moved from a mule and plow to the new industry standard: a tractor and two-row cultivator frame. Now, you can't profitably farm with such a set up. The issue is a combination of the cost of farming, and prices that farmers can get for what they grow/raise. Those I know still in the business are practically "agricultural corporations," though you wouldn't recognize their names.

The only farmers not interested in profit are hobbyists. Even there, I can tell you of one who was very dissatisfied with their investment in goats (feel free to call it a baa-aaa-aad idea). All farming is business, and if you can't turn a profit, you have to find something else to do.

BTW, the shift in scale began maybe over a century ago. During the Great Depression, the standard was the mule and plow, and farmers were beginning to be squeezed. There was a push for collectives, the idea being that it would increase yield and efficiency. Some US experiments in that direction didn't pan out, and the drop in equipment costs and increased yields made that a mote point.

Farmers buy retail, sell wholesale. Tough way to make a living.

Top Bottom