What's new

Ready to go straight!

I'm still pretty new to DE shaving, but I feel like I'm getting a good grasp of it, and I'm really enthusiastic about this forum, shaving, and learning more...

So... I'm getting to the point where I can almost no longer resist trying straight razor shaving.

And so it begins :lol:

I personally wouldn't spend too much on your first strop. If you're anything like me, you'll wreck it in fairly short order. My second strop was nicer, but I waited until I had decent technique to upgrade.

I will add my voice in support of a straight from Larry at whippeddog. I've purchased two razors from him, and not only were the razors fantastic, he is a gem to work with, and provides a ton of great info.

My razor acquisition is already underway... more on that when it's a done deal.

I just need a strop. I'm looking for a Tony Miller strop... I have an ad up in the WTB.

I read through this whole thread before I responded. Like many of the other fellows I would agree that getting a vintage blade to start with will be easier on the pocketbook. As you know you'll need to get a strop (preferable with leather and linen). You don't have to buy a new strop or even a Tony Miller strop; although I have heard they are great. I have a vintage strop that I got off ebay for $30 shipped. It even came with a linen strop as well. The reason why some people suggest you get used equipment first is because you don't really know if you'll enjoy using a straight. Most gents here will tell you it takes 2-3 months to develop the technique to use one properly. However, once you get your first BBS shave you'll probably be hooked. I remember the first time I got my perfect shave I could hardly stop smiling while I was shaving and this caused problems because I was afraid of cutting myself! It took about 20 tries before I was able to hone and strop my razor up properly to get that bbs shave. You'll probably say to yourself, "now I can see what all the hype is about." However it's not going to happen overnight. You'll probably nick yourself a few times around the chin, cheek, maybe even your ears. For me personally I cut myself on the finger more than my face when I use straights because I restore and polish them. Part of the learning curve will require you to learn to strop daily. We all had to learn how to use straights as beginners at some point. Unfortunately mistakes always happen as we are learning and at some point you will most likely nick your strop as well. For this reason I don't recommend a new strop. Invest in a cheaper used strop first - you can always use this as a pasted strop later or sell it. Getting a used razor also makes sense because if you accidentally drop the blade and it chips it won't hurt so much emotionally. Also if you decide straights aren't for you then you can always sell it on the bst and recoup some of your original purchase cost. Good luck on this new adventure. By the way once you are hooked you'll surely be buying more than one straight.

The reason why some people suggest you get used equipment first is because you don't really know if you'll enjoy using a straight.

Thanks for the comments. I am actually already in the process of procuring a straight razor. I did a lot of reading, got a lot of great advice and mixed it with a heavy dose of impulse buying.

When I started out DE shaving I got a lot of beginner stuff, and then ended up wanting to upgrade everything soon after... so this time I wanted to find something that I could hold onto, regardless of my success or failure with straight shaving (although I'm confident that I will do fine).

Anyway... here's what I came up with (so now I just need a strop):

Thats a sweet filly! just be careful with it, I found the razor quite awkward at first, its easy to drop if you lose attention. It would be a shame to have a "learning experience" with that razor!

Good luck and enjoy that razor! As for the strop, as others have said, you can get a Tony Miller but if I were you I'd put it away and use a cheapo one for the first while, its inevitable that you'll nick the edges a lot while learning, wouldn't want to do that to a TM.

Hi DryBonz,

I don't believe I've commented on this thread yet. Congratulations on taking up a new hobby and for embracing traditional shaving and men's grooming. If your adventures into straight shaving are anything like mine, you will do wonderfully. Best to be excited when learning how to straight shave, not terrified. If you look forward to it, I think you'll do better and enjoy it more. If you're scared, you'll get distracted and make mistakes.

Embrace it!

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Who even sells Filarmonica blades?

I know that Bruno had some at VintageScent a while ago but I'm pretty sure he's sold out now. There are a few on ebay sometimes...

I see you and I started straight shaving about the same time, and we both sent FR Framebacks to Ernie for resto. I now have twice as many straights as DEs.:thumbup: Congrats on your newest acquisition.
Mike

Thanks Mike... yours looked really good too. Quite a transformation.

There were a bunch of guys that started about the same time as you and I. Zephyr and Gull are two that come to mind... I can't remember who else. I guess we are the class of 4th quarter 2010.

Thanks Mike... yours looked really good too. Quite a transformation.

There were a bunch of guys that started about the same time as you and I. Zephyr and Gull are two that come to mind... I can't remember who else. I guess we are the class of 4th quarter 2010.

Great to hear about your progress!

Ya got good taste, bonez

It would be easy to suddenly find yourself w/ one or two dozen blades in trying to find your preferences. I keep advocating that members in the same area consider letting the noobs try their gear - at least pieces that are representative of a steel (sheffield vs others), grinds (wedge, 1/4 Hol., full) etc. I've extended that offer to noobs in my area - no takers yet. It would keep us from going broke buying and selling 'til we find our sweet spots.

'Grats Bonez. That's a highly demanded blade right now. If you don't immediately like it - hang on to it. Keep it coated w/ oil and try it again in a few months. Your skill levels will rise & your ability to use the more flexible hollow will rise with it.

Top Bottom