What's new

re: The 1912 pass around

Comment from Dave got me thinking, but thought I'd create a separate thread.....

So out of everyone who's used this razor so far on the tour, has anyone not bought a 1912 afterwards? I think Johnnie, Daniel, and Adam have all bought a 1912. GEM should hire me in their marketing department (if they had one)

So....
Limited sample size but lets extend anyway :)

Everyone who tries the 1912 seems to love it*. A good percentage start to use SE a lot afterwards. It seems to be easier to get a burn-free BBS with an SE than a DE and we all agree that the blades last longer too.

So why did DE shaving come to dominate the SE?

*bluebishop is the exception that proves the rule :001_tongu

It started when Gillette began supplying the US military with razors in WW1, the soldiers came out of the service with a razor they were familiar with so they stuck with them. Also, Gillette had the money to spend on advertisements that the smaller American Safety Razor couldn't come close to competing against. Now, I'm not saying that's a bad thing because Gillette was in the business of selling as many razors and blades as possible and they were (are) pretty darn good at it.

I love the 1912 and the OCMM, but greatly prefer the G-Bar as my SE of choice. Now if I could just find the darn thing.

It started when Gillette began supplying the US military with razors in WW1, the soldiers came out of the service with a razor they were familiar with so they stuck with them. Also, Gillette had the money to spend on advertisements that the smaller American Safety Razor couldn't come close to competing against. Now, I'm not saying that's a bad thing because Gillette was in the business of selling as many razors and blades as possible and they were (are) pretty darn good at it.

As always, you make a lot of sense :)

Its interesting to think about. I really wish there were a modern company that would make a SE razor. just for variety, you know. not that there is anything wrong with our vintage razors, just would be nice to see the SE get some more love.

I looked at the Cobra Classic a few days ago when i saw someone mention it, but i have no experience with Injector razors so i guess i dont really think of them when i think of SE razors...

It's not really comparable (at least to me) to a vintage Schick. It will rid you of whiskers rather quickly and looks good doing it. You can get quite a few shaves more with the Feather or Kai Mild blades than you can with an injector blade.

Personally what I would like to see is a modern SE that would take either traditional SE blades or DE blades. Although the Cobra Classic is a very nice razor, I personally think that is a very small niche market razor that only a handful of people are interested in.

I would like to see a modern razor that has a head similar to a 1912, but attaches more like a 1924, with the ability to swap handles and use DE blades, that would be about perfect.

Hmmm. Well, I am sure at some point I will end up trying both a vintage injector and a cobra, what with the way my interests are progressing.

Top Bottom