What's new

Re-discovering all of my beard removal devices

I've been poking at classic wet shaving for a few years now, and in 2008, I purchased my first replacement for my Gillette multi-blade cartridges. I ended up with a trusty, and at the time, well regarded straight razor - the Wapienica 5/8 quarter hollow straight razor. It was delivered to my home in November, 2008 and I was pretty excited to get started. I had a few other things come in as well, like a tub of TOBS avocado, a brush and a strop.

It. Was. A. Disaster. No hospital visit and no permanent scars, but wow, my pride took a serious hit. My face was raw, sore and irritated. Disappointed, the razor ended up in a drawer and I didn't touch it again until tonight, 13 years and 7 months later. A little while ago, I decided I wanted another go at straight razor shaving, with a few successful shavette shaves under my belt. I found my old Wapienica, and discovered a problem. It felt too heavy and unbalanced, and I think that's because of the very heavy steel scales. I also found an in-country FB group filled with like-minded wet shavers, and through them, made contact with someone who kindly helped me out with sharpening, stropping AND new custom made scales. :eek2:

The result of tonight's shave? I had myself an awesome shave with no nicks, cuts or irritation. I took my time and went WTG and two passes XTG. I still don't dare going ATG for now, but I'm not in a hurry. I've ended up with a perfectly good SAS and happy skin, so I consider that a win. I no longer have the TOBS sandalwood I started out with, so tonight shave was with Zingari Man Merchant (brown-tinged lather is weird...) and a Yaqi Cola synthetic brush.

This is also the start of a personal mini-project, as hinted about in the subject. I actually still have every single razor, knife, etc. I've purchased since I started back in 2008, and I'm going to use them all in order of when I got them. Before that, I only used Gillette carts, so I won't be revisiting those. Next up is a razor I purchased in early 2009, to replace the Wapienica. That didn't go entirely as planned either, but more on that when I update this thread with my next shave. :straight:

PXL_20220611_164721049.jpg

Last edited:
Today I shaved with the second razor I bought, a very nice looking Gillette Slim adjustable from 1962. I bought it back in February 2009, not too long after I got my straight razor. I tried it soon after, and made a mess of my face, because of course I did. I put the razor down and went back to carts for 3-4 months, then decided to have another go. Same bloody result. Discouraged, I packed the Slim away, along with the Wapienica, and went back to carts... And I stayed with carts for over 5 years, until I got another DE razor. More about that one next time.

Tonight's shave was fantastic, even though I had 10 days worth of stubble! Very smooth WTG (setting 5), XTG and cleanup pass (setting 3). And.. No nicks, cuts or weepers. Happy days, and a truly wonderful little razor. ;)

PXL_20220620_152518353~2.jpg

Soap: Arko
Brush: Wee Scot
Razor: Merkur 34C with a Nacet blade
AS: Hega Original and a dash of Snake Bite

On to my third razor, purchased back in May, 2016. I used this one for a long time and it's the razor that finally made it click for me, and took me on an adventure down the rabbit hole. A fantastic shave today. Happy midsummer! ;)

PXL_20220624_141319461~2.jpg

Soap: Stirling Iced Pineapple
Brush: Yaqi Cola
Razor: Rockwell 6S, Gillette Nacet blade
AS: Stirling Iced Pineapple

Yet again, it's been a while since my last shave. This time, it's a shave using the Rockwell 6S which I got back in July 2016, almost exactly 6 years ago. Which means I did only use my Merkur 34C for about 3 months before getting a new razor, which wasn't a very long time at all really. ;) .. I did however stick with the 6S for just over a year. More about that, next shave.

First pass WTG on plate #5, a very smooth pass in spite of 9 days of stubble. Then plate #2 for my XTG and ATG pass. I ended up with pretty much BBS which is unheard of for me. The Stirling Iced Pineapple was nice, but not amazing. A medium chill in the heat we're having at the moment.

I hope everyone had a very nice weekend!

PXL_20220703_154404029~2.jpg

Soap: MdC Agrumes
Brush: Yaqi Cola
Razor: Merkur 37C slant, Gillette Nacet blade
AS: Myrsol Lemon

Next up is the Merkur 37C. I got this back in August 2017, after using the Rockwell 6s for just over a year. I was curious about slants, and ended up with the 37C. I had myself a nice shave and removing 11 days of growth was smooth and easy. In my opinion, it's not the most efficient razor and I find it quite mild. A WTG, XTG and ATG pass went very easily and I ended up with a DFS for sure. It's a nice little razor, but not my favorite. :)

PXL_20220714_170809970.jpg

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Soap: Arko
Brush: Wee Scot
Razor: Merkur 34C with a Nacet blade
AS: Hega Original and a dash of Snake Bite

On to my third razor, purchased back in May, 2016. I used this one for a long time and it's the razor that finally made it click for me, and took me on an adventure down the rabbit hole. A fantastic shave today. Happy midsummer! ;)

View attachment 1477509
That Arko Stick container is lovely! And the Cola brush is stunning! LoL, while I'm at it I may as well compliment the "Wee Scot" my friend.

Top Bottom