What's new

Razorock Teck II vs vintage Gillette Tech

Just curious how the Razorock Teck II compares to the vintage techs it’s based on (afaik?). Bought one because I wanted a cheap razor to put in my travel kit.

If you already bought it, then use it and don't put a lot of thought into how it compares to a Tech. Probably better to use a cheaper razor for travel. If it's lost or forgotten, you're not out a lot of money, and it's easily replaced.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Lots of info in the "Tech Clone Wars" thread:
Thread 'The Tech Clone Wars' The Tech Clone Wars - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/the-tech-clone-wars.574729/

How do you like the RR TEK II? That's really what matters. ;)

In my opinion, the RR TEK II is a decent inexpensive razor. Uses somewhat similar geometry to later Techs and provides a workmanlike shave. Good as a travel razor because it is inexpensive and does an okay job.

Do I prefer it to my Techs? No, but it is one of the razors I keep in my travel bag (along with a Frankenrazor that I put together) for those occasions when I still travel.

Just my opinion. :)

Just curious how the Razorock Teck II compares to the vintage techs it’s based on (afaik?). Bought one because I wanted a cheap razor to put in my travel kit.

Looks to be a Baili head. I have one of those. It's a modern tech clone but I think it is a little more forgiving in terms of angle. The one I have seems to do well with a bunch of blades while my Tech definitely prefers something sharper.

It shaves well. Just as the Tech can shave well. It feels different on my face (chunkier guard), provides no audible feedback, but I cannot argue with the results.

In general, I prefer the Tech. For travel, I'd pack the Baili and not lose any sleep.

That razor is quite different from a Gillette Tech. You can get a good shave with it, but it's a different design. My preference is for the early Gillette Techs with triangular slots and the fat handle aka pre-war Techs.

I have the Baili version of the Razorock DE1 (which to my understanding has the same head as the Teck II with a different handle) and I also have a pre-war Gillette Tech. I prefer the Gillette Tech. I don't dislike the DE1. I just get a better shave with the Gillette Tech, and it feels more comfortable on my face. Also, while it's touted as a Tech clone, to me it feels quite a bit different. Not worse, not bad, just different. But YMMV.

That being said, the Baili/Razorock razor gets quite a bit of love so go into it with an open mind. You may love it!

As for a travel razor, when you can pick up a vintage Gillette Tech for less than $20 (think I paid $15 for my last one), why not buy multiple Gillette Techs (if you like them better) and have a backup in case you do lose one when traveling? You're talking about $5-10 (Baili/Razorock) vs. $15-20 (vintage Gillette Tech).

Top Bottom