What's new

RazoRock Soap, Tallow v Vegan

I have just finished a puck of Stirling (first one!) and can now buy more soap. I like Oud scents and have tried Tom Ford's Tuscan Oud, which I very much like. I know RazoRock's Tuscan Oud, is based off the Tom Ford, but I am wondering whether the tallow soaps out perform the vegan. Should I get the Stallion (tallow) or Tuscan Oud (vegan)? First razorock and very excited! Won't buy both, as much as I would like it.

Thanks folks.

I've used several RazoRock/IB soaps and though I wouldn't classify anything with stearic acid in it as 'vegan', I will say that the non-tallow soaps actually OUT-perform the tallow soaps in my collection of RR soaps. Specifically, I have tried Amici, Lime, Acquatico, Sandalwood and Eleganza. Amici explodes with slick creamy lather. Also, for what it's worth, one of my favorite soaps, La Toja, is veggie based and it creates INSANE lather. I think the whole 'tallow vs non-tallow' sentiment is moot but it seems that on average, tallow soaps are preferred. Go figure.

I prefer tallow in my soaps. That being said, I do have both soaps that you mention. I'd go with the Oud just because of its scent.

I've used several RazoRock/IB soaps and though I wouldn't classify anything with stearic acid in it as 'vegan', I will say that the non-tallow soaps actually OUT-perform the tallow soaps in my collection of RR soaps. Specifically, I have tried Amici, Lime, Acquatico, Sandalwood and Eleganza. Amici explodes with slick creamy lather. Also, for what it's worth, one of my favorite soaps, La Toja, is veggie based and it creates INSANE lather. I think the whole 'tallow vs non-tallow' sentiment is moot but it seems that on average, tallow soaps are preferred. Go figure.
I am quite convinced that non-tallow soaps got a bad rap when the big soap manufacturers rushed to reformulate a few years back(quite a few years now), and for the most part botched it badly. Currently produced non-tallow soaps that are great are still having to prove that they are great as a result of this. Just my view.

I have about ten different Razorock/Italian Barber soaps. I am satisfied with each one, but like the ones with tallow in the recipe more. I feel they give me a slightly creamier lather and superior post-shave face feel.

I can't really testify about RR Tallow soaps, but I can tell you the Tuscan Oud is one of my favorites and it performs very well.

I am quite convinced that non-tallow soaps got a bad rap when the big soap manufacturers rushed to reformulate a few years back(quite a few years now), and for the most part botched it badly. Currently produced non-tallow soaps that are great are still having to prove that they are great as a result of this. Just my view.

I think you might be right about that.

The old RR tallow formula from the Morrocan Secret scent has the best performance of any RR formula IMO.

If you are looking for great scent, I would Second the opinions on Tuscan Oud. Just a clean masculine cologne scent. SMDF is another one with a nice scent and decent performance.

I have used both the tallow and non-tallow versions of Razorock Son of Zeus. For my two cents, there is not much difference between them. I would give a very slight performance edge to the tallow and an equal, slight fragrance edge to the non-tallow. Both are excellent soaps.

Top Bottom