What's new

RazoRock Lupo Club - The Pack

Lupo 95 OC + 7oc black (2).
The previous shave was with the 95 SB with same blade. I used to like the 95SB more, but something has changed, now I appreciate (need) the extra efficiency of the OC. either my whiskers got tougher or I became a blade junky, or both
1715857447832.png

The 95 closed comb, no doubt. I'm still trying to figure out if I can handle it as a daily driver. I'm mastering the different soaps with milder razors first to remove those from the equation.
Haven't tried the .95 yet. I have the .72OC, .58SB, and Aluminum. The .72OC is excellent and already gives me about as close a shave I think I can handle so I don't think I really need the .95, but who knows, I'm sure I'll be tempted whenever they're back in stock. The .58SB is an easy option for my quick autopilot shaves but doesn't give me nearly as close as shave as the .72OC. I wasn't expecting to when I bought it but I absolutely love the Lupo Aluminum; it's probably my favorite change of pace razor, it seems to have good range to be mild to aggressive depending on the amount of pressure you use.

Hello fine gentlemen, first post, as a owner of a Lupo Aluminium and Lupo 95 SB, may I request to join your fine club🤝🎻

Had both razors for about 10 months, here’s some thoughts:

Lupo Aluminium. Optimal blades: Feather, Supershave X Platinum. My favorite razor out of the likes of the Rocca, Ambassador, Techs, when paired with a Feather. With this combination it shaves superclean, super efficient and with acceptable smoothness. I found other great blades, Nacets, GSBs, Wilkinsons, to be somewhat tugging in the Al. Awaiting the Karve Overlander, lets see if it can dethrone the Lupo.

Lupo 95 SB. Optimal blades: Permasharps. The 95 is way smoother than the Aluminium, but I find the latter to be more effective with the above mentioned blade combinations. Maybe I need more time with this razor.
Using the razorock vintage thin handle, rather than the hd handle which I find unbalanced compared to the rather flat Lupo head. Love the blade-clamping on this thing, u’ll definitely know the blade is locked down thight.

I tend to do two passes: 1 wtg, 1xtg, only atg in the mustache area.

Let me know what you think
Did you ever end up comparing the Karve Overlander to the Lupo Aluminum?

Haven't tried the .95 yet. I have the .72OC, .58SB, and Aluminum. The .72OC is excellent and already gives me about as close a shave I think I can handle so I don't think I really need the .95, but who knows, I'm sure I'll be tempted whenever they're back in stock. The .58SB is an easy option for my quick autopilot shaves but doesn't give me nearly as close as shave as the .72OC. I wasn't expecting to when I bought it but I absolutely love the Lupo Aluminum; it's probably my favorite change of pace razor, it seems to have good range to be mild to aggressive depending on the amount of pressure you use.
Welp, I held out as long as I could… .95SB plate is on its way; my self-control just isn’t what it used to be. Was quite tempted to try the .72SB as well but it seemed redundant already having .72OC.

Did you ever end up comparing the Karve Overlander to the Lupo Aluminum?
Lupo Al is more efficient, not by much, but with a nice dose of blade feel. Overlander is much smoother, but doesn’t offer the degree of freedom in shaving angles like Lupo like riding the cap. Both razors leaves very little chance of cuts or irritation.

I think the Lupo excels in handling, you can with low effort get a minimum DFS shave every time -can be used with two fingers, it’s idiotproof. Also I love how streamlined the design is, the flat baseplate with low gap, and how it’s easily assembled, plus the flat head is superb for reaching trouble spots, inside the ears and such.

The problem I have with Overlander is the consistency of the WTG pass, has about 15 shaves with it and it almost always leaves random stubble untouched, the problem lies in the narrow effective working angle. ATG/XTG is a different story, areas Lupo doesn’t really shine.

Also I think the Overlander works with a wider range of blades, the Lupo didn’t really shine until it was loaded with either a Feather or a Super shave X blade.

IMO a lot of (non enthusiast) shavers would be happy with the Aluminium Lupo, it offers very consistent, safe, quick and easy close shaves. Consistency and simplicity is the Lupo main selling points.

People who struggle with sensitive skin and need to shave daily would probably have the perfect razor in the Overlander.

But there’s a guy that smokes them both......

proxy.php

or does he? 🙃

Lupo Al is more efficient, not by much, but with a nice dose of blade feel. Overlander is much smoother, but doesn’t offer the degree of freedom in shaving angles like Lupo like riding the cap. Both razors leaves very little chance of cuts or irritation.

I think the Lupo excels in handling, you can with low effort get a minimum DFS shave every time -can be used with two fingers, it’s idiotproof. Also I love how streamlined the design is, the flat baseplate with low gap, and how it’s easily assembled, plus the flat head is superb for reaching trouble spots, inside the ears and such.

The problem I have with Overlander is the consistency of the WTG pass, has about 15 shaves with it and it almost always leaves random stubble untouched, the problem lies in the narrow effective working angle. ATG/XTG is a different story, areas Lupo doesn’t really shine.

Also I think the Overlander works with a wider range of blades, the Lupo didn’t really shine until it was loaded with either a Feather or a Super shave X blade.

IMO a lot of (non enthusiast) shavers would be happy with the Aluminium Lupo, it offers very consistent, safe, quick and easy close shaves. Consistency and simplicity is the Lupo main selling points.

People who struggle with sensitive skin and need to shave daily would probably have the perfect razor in the Overlander.

But there’s a guy that smokes them both......

proxy.php

or does he? 🙃
Thanks for the comparison! That’s about what I was guessing the differences would be.

Already having the GC .84SB and Lupo .72OC (I caved and now have the Lupo .72SB and .95SB in route as well 🫣), I wasn’t relying on the Lupo Aluminum for perfect shaves but instead got it just to have as a fun change of pace. The Lupo Aluminum ended up exceeding my expectations to the point that it had me second guessing whether I needed to look into other aluminum razors.

The Karve Overlander and Bison as well as the Henson keep popping up here on B&B as recommended aluminum options, but so far I’ve been able to convince myself that I don’t need another one.

Lupo 95 SB, Feather (1). I couldn't let go the SB that easily, so I put a Feather in it to see what happens, magic. The sharpness of the feather made it work again, it effortlessly knocked it down while being very smooth.
I found that the Lupo (GC also) has unlocked the Feather blade. Before either, I could only get 3-4 shaves from a Feather. When used in either, that number goes up to 25 minimum. I have pushed it to 36 and probably could have gone further, but could tell the blade wasn't removing the stubble as it had previously so changed it out. I should be stockpiling Feathers...

marty

This came in the mail today. Lupo .58. Pretty mild and a little more angle dependant than the .72, but so far, it absolutely exceeds my expectation. It also fits in nicely with my other razors, and the Speik that I picked up with it is perfect! My #1 criteria is slickness, but the scent is very nice to boot. I now need to get the Halo shortened on my pal's lathe like I did for my .72, then it'll be perfect.

#chuuuuffed

IMG_5222.jpeg

That blade gap is insane. How did it feel compared to 95 or 72?
I haven't tried either of those. The only other plate I own is the 58. I have other razors with less blade gap, the Aylsworth Drakkant Ti and Kopprankant plus are .99 blade gap. The Kopparkant original plate is .73. In comparison, the Drakkant Ti is smoother, maybe because of the titanium. The Kopparkant is not as smooth, lacking the scallops of the Drakkant Ti and less efficient with the .73 plate. I found that the Lupo 127 was very comfortable to shave with, but it's only on first use today with five days of growth. The only other variable is the Razorock hollow hd handle. I will need to try it again tomorrow with one day stubble to see if it's still as enjoyable.

The Lupo 58 is a good daily driver, but it doesn't mow down my problem areas. I have wiry whiskers with areas that really do benefit from either higher blade gap or more positive blade exposure like the Blackbird. The best way I can explain why this 127 baseplate may work for me (keep in mind I received the plate today) is my gradual increase in blade gaps, better technique over the months and the joy of this hobby.

The blade gap looks insane at first, but as long as the blade clamping is there and the technique is on point, there's no fear with the shave. I tried it shallow/steep and it just worked. I used a Gilette Silver Blue with the shave. I will try it with the Perma-Sharp, Kai, Gilette Nacet, and others as I get more familiar with the plate. But for the first shave, I rated it higher than the R41 and the Tatara Masamune OC.

I have been waiting for this plate for a while now and who knows, it could be a placebo effect! I did get a bbs shave today with it with the five days of growth and will do a daily shave with it tomorrow.

Jay21

Collecting wife bonus parts
Fantastic shave this morning:

Pre-shave: Neutrogena Hydro Boost
Brush: RR 400 matte Plissoft
Cream: Gillette Foamy
Razor: RR Lupo 95
Blade: Double-wrapped Gillette Silver Blue (3)
Number of passes: 2, XTG
Touchups or buffs: yes
Aftershave: Old Spice and Nivea Sensitive balm
Sting: No
Result: DFS (stubble ATG on neck)

Another Zen shave this morning courtesy of my favorite razor and the assist from canned goo. I even did some touchup work on my neck, which I haven't been doing with soaps lately because I was always on the edge of irritation after only two passes. My neck has the toughest hair in the most directions (while also lying flat against the skin) and the most sensitive skin that is prone to burn and irritation. Today's shave was without a single incident. Lovely shave and great way to start the day.

Reporting back on the Lupo 127. Even with a daily shave, I found it comfortable. The gap is a mirage, you see it, but it really isn't there! It was as easy to shave with as any of my other razors. I first shaved with it yesterday around 3pm when UPS dropped it off and I felt noticeable stubble around 7am this morning. The shave does last and I'm glad Italian Barber finally got the plates in stock. I may buy a 72 and 95 plate later on just to compare. But for now, I love the smooth efficiency of the Lupo 127.

20240523_154640.jpg

I'll report back in a week, my .95SB is set to arrive on Saturday and .72SB this upcoming week. I already have and really really like the .72OC; it feels just a tad too spicy for my taste but I'm curious to see how the other straight bar plates I have coming compare. If the .95SB is comfortable enough maybe I'd consider looking into the 1.27SB, but I doubt it'll be a good fit for me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom