What's new

RazoRock Handle Mod

I like my Gamechangers but have always felt the handles were too heavy. I've used the handle from a fat handle Tech which is nice but not as long or grippy, a handle from a New that didn't feel right and looked wrong, so I came up with a solution. All you need is a brother who is a machinist and some patience waiting from him to get around to it.
SOTD w Handle.jpg

SOTD with one of the handles.
Handle.jpg

handle2.jpg

The hollowed out Barberpole and HD each weight 1 ounce and the UFO 1.75. That puts the total razor weight at 2 ounces with the lighter handles and 2.75 with the UFO.
I really like them, YMMV.

I like my Gamechangers but have always felt the handles were too heavy. I've used the handle from a fat handle Tech which is nice but not as long or grippy, a handle from a New that didn't feel right and looked wrong, so I came up with a solution. All you need is a brother who is a machinist and some patience waiting from him to get around to it.
View attachment 1676868
SOTD with one of the handles.
View attachment 1676869
View attachment 1676870
The hollowed out Barberpole and HD each weight 1 ounce and the UFO 1.75. That puts the total razor weight at 2 ounces with the lighter handles and 2.75 with the UFO.
I really like them, YMMV.

Cool idea, and Machines can door anyone with BUCKS.

Nice. I've considered doing the same myself. I've found the RazoRock "Thin-Bar" handle, while 316L stainless, is smaller in length and diameter and generally less weight. I've been using it with a Lupo .95 SB head for the last few weeks and I really like it.

I've got a new handle coming in tomorrow which should prove interesting.

b/r

ON_1

Man after my own heart. :cool:

Planning on trying it with the RR Full Knurl handle later in the year when I get a couple of other small jobs done at my local machine shop. Still have not decided how much weight to take off, but probably about half, with an almost full length hole, just shy of the head end of the knurling.

How long are the holes in yours?

Man after my own heart. :cool:

Planning on trying it with the RR Full Knurl handle later in the year when I get a couple of other small jobs done at my local machine shop. Still have not decided how much weight to take off, but probably about half, with an almost full length hole, just shy of the head end of the knurling.

How long are the holes in yours?
The HD and Barber pole are 13/32" X 2.75" the UFO is 7/64" X 2.5".

Inspired by comments on the Razorock "BORG" thread, I began looking at handles (Brotherhood of Razorock Gamechanger (BORG) - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/brotherhood-of-razorock-gamechanger-borg.595633/page-14#post-12330332).

With the Gamechanger being my second DE razor since returning from the dark side (cart razors), I was curious how adding some mass to my Henson AL 13+ would affect the feel. The short answer is that it changes it dramatically.

I picked up two Maggard s-s handles and a Razorock Titanium Halo. In the above thread, @spacemonkey42 suggested adding o-rings to the Halo handle, which I too, found to improve grip significantly (thanks!)

I cobbled together a quick 'n dirty stand from a cutoff piece of butcher block, boring holes with a 16mm Forstner bit. The reason I mention this, is because my first choice in o-rings was too thick for the original 15mm holes as well as the enlarged, 16mm holes.
I opted for thinner o-rings rather than larger holes. The thinner o-rings are fine from a grip perspective, and the handle fits in the holes which I didn't want to enlarge further.

The big surprise (and more experimentation is in order) is that while I tend to like longer, thinner handles, the Henson felt nicely controllable with the short (82mm), stubby HD handle which I received my Gamechanger with. I normally like longer handles as I use the length to find a pivot point about which to tune the pressure of the razor against my face.

I'm still going back and forth with these combinations, and no doubt my preferences will change over time. For now, I'll use the Ti Halo handle on the Gamechanger.

I was working from a bundle of unlabeled o-rings, but I'd guess that I used either 012 or 013 size o-rings from the following chart: O-Ring Size Chart : The O-Ring Store LLC, We make getting O-Rings easy! - https://www.theoringstore.com/store/index.php?main_page=page_2

In the metric world (from the above thread):
If you want o-rings, I found the 9mm OD, 6mm ID, 1.5mm width ones to work well with the Halo and some other handles. Cheers!

I confess to the number of rings I installed being a bit overkill. I got carried away ;-)

This first photo shows the Gamechanger with the original HD handle I received it with, along with the Henson and its handle mounted:

Razor_Handles-01.jpg

What I'm currently playing with (Ti Halo on the RR & Maggard MR7 on the Henson). I'm going back and forth between the Razorock HD and the MR7 on the Henson:

Razor_Handles-02.jpg

And ... because I hate parts rolling off my countertop :eek2:

Razor_Handles-03.jpg

... Thom

I too have fallen victim of the handle rabbit hole... I ordered the Baber Pole that I've had my eye on for some time now, but in doing so I also stumbled on the Vintage thick-bar handle from IB and picked it up too. I had contemplated the Thin-bar handle that @Old Navy_1 mentioned, but I do like the thickness of the Super Knurl so I figured that I would stay with the same diameter of handle, just one that's stubby.

I too have fallen victim of the handle rabbit hole... I ordered the Baber Pole that I've had my eye on for some time now, but in doing so I also stumbled on the Vintage thick-bar handle from IB and picked it up too. I had contemplated the Thin-bar handle that @Old Navy_1 mentioned, but I do like the thickness of the Super Knurl so I figured that I would stay with the same diameter of handle, just one that's stubby.
I seem to be figuring out thicker handles. I find the length thing to be fascinating.

My earlier thoughts were that with a longer handle, you can tune the balance point - choking up as necessary. I seem to get a different feel with different length handle lengths however, with the big surprise being that the 82mm RR handle on the Alu Henson seems ideal. I used that combination for the first time a short while ago.

In contrast, the longer handles (two s-s and one titanium) work better for me on the Gamechanger.

... Thom

Top Bottom