What's new

RAZOROCK GC 0.68-P

@Hopalong ...well, okay then.

That's what makes shaving such an individual sport. Everybody's face and skin are different and every razor/blade/soap combination work differently.

I just got lucky the RR GC 68-P and the GC 84-P seem to work perfectly for me. Obviously, it didn't work for you.

As we like to say around here, JMHO, YMMV.

b/r

ON_1
If you like me have a relatively light beard (and mine is all gray now so I don't think it's getting much heavier) and shave most days you may find that about three-quarters of the posters here have very different razor preferences than you, and about one quarter will be similar.

@Hopalong ..."and, that's what makes a horse race."

My white beard is like a wire brush. I make babies cry when they bump into it. Smiles. To add to the fun, my skin is sensitive. The worst of both worlds.

I hope your search for 'the one' is fruitful.

b/r

ON_1

At first the blade placement had me scratching my head a little but I quickly figured it out.
It only takes the first blade load to figure it out.

Alignment Pins on the "Baseplate" is different. I think it's at least as good as the 'traditional' location, on the "Top Cap" for functionality.

Having the "Alignment Pins" on the "Baseplate", as is the case with the "Game Changer" series, is, IMO, an overall design improvement. The blade fits tighter ( CNC tolerances) and the blade's relationship (Gap/Exposure) to the edge of the "Top Cap" and "Safety Bar" is more consistent. And, it provides a solid lock-up. At least that's my opinion. JMHO, YMMV.

b/r

ON_1

20230217_125923.jpg
20230217_130355.jpg
20230217_130448.jpg
20230217_130648.jpg

It's just that easy to load a Blade into the RazoRock Game Changer razors with "Alignment Pins" on the "Baseplate".

b/r

ON_1

I've had a .68-P for months now but only have a few shaves with it. Early on I purchased too many razors at once (I know you know how that is) and have been in vintage gillette land for some time now, letting the GC sit unused on the shelf.

After some discussion with @gpjoe and reading @Old Navy_1's adventures, I'm going to follow in @Rosseforp's footsteps and go with the .68-P for the FFFMM next month. That's a long time and I'm worried I'm going to pick a less than optimally matched blade and get stuck with it for the month.

I know the Astra SP is well loved and is a favorite of mine, I feel like that's a safe choice. I'm also a big fan of the Gillette Platinum's. I have some Perma-Sharps but I haven't tried them yet. I also have some sharper blades like Nacets, 7 o'clock blacks, Bic Chromes and Feathers but I wasn't sure those were the right choice with the GC 68-P.

Any suggestions?

I've had a .68-P for months now but only have a few shaves with it. Early on I purchased too many razors at once (I know you know how that is) and have been in vintage gillette land for some time now, letting the GC sit unused on the shelf.

After some discussion with @gpjoe and reading @Old Navy_1's adventures, I'm going to follow in @Rosseforp's footsteps and go with the .68-P for the FFFMM next month. That's a long time and I'm worried I'm going to pick a less than optimally matched blade and get stuck with it for the month.

I know the Astra SP is well loved and is a favorite of mine, I feel like that's a safe choice. I'm also a big fan of the Gillette Platinum's. I have some Perma-Sharps but I haven't tried them yet. I also have some sharper blades like Nacets, 7 o'clock blacks, Bic Chromes and Feathers but I wasn't sure those were the right choice with the GC 68-P.

Any suggestions?

I have an assortment of blades, but my "go-to" blade is the Astra SP.

Any time I get a new-to-me razor, I pair it with my most reliable and best-known blade and soap. I do that to eliminate any other variables when testing the new razor.

To me, my safe bet in a blade is always the SP. it is a capable mid-tier blade that I know works very well for me. If you know it works well for you, I think that would be a solid choice.

I have an assortment of blades, but my "go-to" blade is the Astra SP.

Any time I get a new-to-me razor, I pair it with my most reliable and best-known blade and soap. I do that to eliminate any other variables when testing the new razor.

To me, my safe bet in a blade is always the SP. it is a capable mid-tier blade that I know works very well for me. If you know it works well for you, I think that would be a solid choice.

Thank you! Excellent, now I'm feeling better about an Astra choice for the event :)

Any suggestions?
I have used Nacet, Bic cp, Treet Platinum, and Rapira Swedish supersteel in my GC .68p without issue.

@Calyshaver ...Hmmm? They made my old ship into razor blades a long time ago. LOL!

If, I had to give one to 'the cause', sadly, it would probably be the GC 68-P and I'd keep the GC 84-P. But, it would be close.

Thankfully, I don't have to make that decision. I can switch-off every other week, to my hearts content. Smiles.

Both razors are equally comfortable and close shaving. As I've said before, the 'GC 84-P' is just a trifle bit more "Efficient".

If, I hadn't purchased the the two "Game Changers", I think I might have given the "Lupo .72 a whirl. As it is, I think the "Lupo" is kind of redundant.

I might (unlikely) try the "Lupo .95", but emotionally, the blade gap would make me very hesitant and apprehensive, giving me a terrible first couple of shave.

There it is.

b/r

ON_1
I'm curious to know if this is still your opinion?

Also, let's say you had zero razors right now, would you buy them both again, or try something different?

@SimpleClean ...yes. That's still my opinion.

If, I had no razors? IDK? But, that's exactly where I found myself a few short weeks ago.

I've looked at other stainless razors in the past and decided I wouldn't afford them. Then, I discovered RazoRock and found they make a premium CNC stainless razor at an affordable price.

With my 20/20 rear view goggles on, I don't think I'd arrive at a different decision. I looked at the other RazoRock offerings, looked at InterWeb reviews and chose the RR GC 68-P and got excellent results. Then, after numerous thread contributors suggested I try the RR GC 84-P. I did. A little scary at first, but it turned out I got an even better, more "Efficient" shave with the 84-P.

Additional information I didn't have when I started, made me look at the RR "Lupo .72", and subsequently, the RR "Lupo .95".

While the "Lupo .95" is an interesting thought, I don't think I'll be buying one. Afterall, if you're getting an exceptional shave, now, how much better will another razor shave? It's the very same way I feel about very expensive s.s. razors. Will a $700 razor shave me any better then my GC84-P? And, if 'yes', is the answer, how much better? Once again, we bump into, "Diminishing Returns".

Don't misinterpret what I'm saying. If, you want a beautifully machined, highly polished razor made from "Unobtanium" at $700 (pick a number), and you can afford it, buy the darn thing. I've got a long history of doing just that. Of course, it wasn't razors. Smiles.

IDK if I answered you question? I certainly burned up some 1s and 0s.

b/r

ON_1

@SimpleClean ...yes. That's still my opinion.

If, I had no razors? IDK? But, that's exactly where I found myself a few short weeks ago.

I've looked at other stainless razors in the past and decided I wouldn't afford them. Then, I discovered RazoRock and found they make a premium CNC stainless razor at an affordable price.

With my 20/20 rear view goggles on, I don't think I'd arrive at a different decision. I looked at the other RazoRock offerings, looked at InterWeb reviews and chose the RR GC 68-P and got excellent results. Then, after numerous thread contributors suggested I try the RR GC 84-P. I did. A little scary at first, but it turned out I got an even better, more "Efficient" shave with the 84-P.

Additional information I didn't have when I started, made me look at the RR "Lupo .72", and subsequently, the RR "Lupo .95".

While the "Lupo .95" is an interesting thought, I don't think I'll be buying one. Afterall, if you're getting an exceptional shave, now, how much better will another razor shave? It's the very same way I feel about very expensive s.s. razors. Will a $700 razor shave me any better then my GC84-P? And, if 'yes', is the answer, how much better? Once again, we bump into, "Diminishing Returns".

Don't misinterpret what I'm saying. If, you want a beautifully machined, highly polished razor made from "Unobtanium" at $700 (pick a number), and you can afford it, buy the darn thing. I've got a long history of doing just that. Of course, it wasn't razors. Smiles.

IDK if I answered you question? I certainly burned up some 1s and 0s.

b/r

ON_1

Thank you!

Would you say the 0.68 and 0.84 are comparably comfortable but the 0.84 offers a more efficient shave, and that's why you prefer it? Or is the 0.68 much more comfortable but you're willing to sacrifice some comfort for efficiency?

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Perfectly worded. I find both razors give me a "Close, Comfortable Shave". The GC 84-P is a bit more "Efficient". If, I'm using the term correctly?

I'm very satisfied with my choices.

b/r

ON_1
If this helps, I have a GC68-P, GC84-P, GC84OC, Lupo 72, and Lupo 95. If I had to choose just one to keep, I choose the GC84-P every time.
I also have a few of those $$$$ razors too. They make me giggle when I use them they shave sooo nice.:thumbup1:
~doug~

Really interesting - it seems most prefer the 0.84 to the 0.68, at least recently (see below).

I'm wondering - does anyone out there actually prefer the 0.68 to the 0.84 after trying both? If so, I would guess because they think it's just as efficient while being more comfortable?

@Calyshaver ...Hmmm? They made my old ship into razor blades a long time ago. LOL!

If, I had to give one to 'the cause', sadly, it would probably be the GC 68-P and I'd keep the GC 84-P. But, it would be close.

Thankfully, I don't have to make that decision. I can switch-off every other week, to my hearts content. Smiles.

Both razors are equally comfortable and close shaving. As I've said before, the 'GC 84-P' is just a trifle bit more "Efficient".

If, I hadn't purchased the the two "Game Changers", I think I might have given the "Lupo .72 a whirl. As it is, I think the "Lupo" is kind of redundant.

I might (unlikely) try the "Lupo .95", but emotionally, the blade gap would make me very hesitant and apprehensive, giving me a terrible first couple of shave.

There it is.

b/r

ON_1

Yeah agree on the GC over the BBS
the one thing I did not like on the GC is the reverse blade tabs and sure you have read that ? Its not a huge deal you get used to it quite quickly but its a bit finicky to me but did not let it sway me

if you get a GC I would say get the extra plate :) cheap enough really and just play with them for a few months

yeah the GC 84 IMHO is the same comfort as the 68 you get a bit of blade feel I do not think that is related to comfort either as it can be smooth like the GC or the Wolfmans
but nothing like the lupo as example for me that actually was not as comfy so even the Lupo 72 was not comfy :)

its for sure more blade feel than the Timeless 68 with the SB
the efficiency of the Timeless 68 for me was better than the GC 84 though :) and the face feel of the Timeless Ti was nicer for me the old YMMV of course

About the GC .68 vs the .84
I think you end up in the same end spot (as in after you shave how your face feels) BUT to many passes of the .68 can lead to that irritation and the last pass ATG for me the efficiency of the 68 got in the way of my 59yr old red/grey whiskers that the other razors would do better and just would not cut enough of them without a lot of extra work
Not saying my Timeless does not take some extra clean up it does but being so comfy its fine balance for me

Out of all my razors my final 3 were the Wolfman .95 the GC 84 and my timeless !
All were that good and just comes down to little things IMHO that says a lot about the GC standing up to those and I would have been happy with each one on its own for its own unique feel but do love the looks of the Timeless Like the plates you can easily get and LOVE the Titanium and was going for that how smooth of shave can I get with NO blade feel :) as I know I can come back and get any of the other razors again if I decide I want that and know what each offers ! Again why I do think its worthy trying any and all razors you are curious about :)

If this helps, I have a GC68-P, GC84-P, GC84OC, Lupo 72, and Lupo 95. If I had to choose just one to keep, I choose the GC84-P every time.
I also have a few of those $$$$ razors too. They make me giggle when I use them they shave sooo nice.:thumbup1:
~doug~

Top Bottom