What's new

Razor Speed, Stroke Length, and Stroke Redundancy: A Discussion

I read a thread on shaving speed a while back that I've been thinking about ever since (can't find it ATM to credit the poster). That post mentioned having watched GeoFatBoy clips on Youtube, and that it seemed he shaved very quickly. That surprised me, because it seemed to me he was moving pretty slow and making redundant strokes. That got me to thinking about three of the shaving variables that we seldom discuss here: razor speed and stroke length, and redundant strokes.

While looking through GeoFatBoy's extensive back catalog of shaving tutorials/reviews, I found a very interesting one where he discussed razor speed and stroke length. I thought it was quite well done, and it aligns with my own experience (except redundant strokes). Everybody shaves differently though, and I'm keen to hear other peoples perspective. Is a fast moving blade a more efficient cutter? Do longer shave strokes make more sense? Is it wise to shave the same spot 2-3 times in the same direction? Here is the short 3 minute video that show clearly what we're talking about:

Last edited:

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I am on the fast end of the spectrum. I think that shaving strokes are like chip shots and short putts in golf. If they are tentative, the likelihood they will be errant increases appreciably. A slow and methodical stroke is hard to keep moving in the right direction, especially if it is ATG. I can go with either short or long strokes, but tend to use short and somewhat repetitive strokes. I figure each one is mowing something.

I've found that my favorite razors allow me to make quick strokes as well as multiple strokes over the same area without excess irritation. My least favorite razors are the opposite; I'm always waiting for that unexpected nick or cut that I can't explain why it happened.

There are only a couple razors that fall into the first category, including a titanium Timeless and the Blackland Sabre and Vector. There are many razors that fall into the second category and I've moved on from them. Ymmv.

Shaving too slowly does increase tugging for me and I have found a "sweet spot" with regard to speed: I call it decisive, as opposed to fast, personally.

Going over the same area more than a couple times is something I try to avoid. If I'm using the correct angle, and shaving decisively, two strokes is typically sufficient. Three would be okay, I suppose, if less than ideal, but I wouldn't do any more than that without re-lathering the area first.

Fast short strokes for me. Do whatever works, I say. I likely do 20 passes during my 3 pass shave.

Maybe that’s why I only get 2 shaves out of a blade and my face is always softer than a baby’s butt.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
My cousin Michael Fahy was an Irish politician whose nickname was "The Stroke." (In Ireland a "stroke" is an underhanded manouevre.)

strokegalwaywest1987.jpg

Three interesting questions!

For what it is worth here is my take:

1. Razor speed. For me this depends largely on the razor weight. I try to ‘let the razor’ do the work’ and use ‘no pressure.’ So a heavier razor moves faster than a lighter razor.

2. Stroke length. I prefer longer strokes, where I can (especially on my cheeks and neck). Once I set the appropriate angle, I try to maintain that throughout the longest stroke possible. On my lips and chin, the optimal angle changes, so my strokes are shorter.

3. Stroke redundancy. My experience is that I minimize irritation by limiting stroke redundancy, especially with the sharper blades I prefer. So I use minimal overlap with each stroke. I plan to routinely use three passes with a goal of ‘beard reduction’ with each pass.

Works for me (usually)!! :a29: :a29: :a29:

1. Razor speed. For me this depends largely on the razor weight. I try to ‘let the razor’ do the work’ and use ‘no pressure.’ So a heavier razor moves faster than a lighter razor.

This is really interesting. I hadn't really though about this but it definitely makes sense.

I like long strokes on the flat areas of my cheeks and neck and on my trouble areas around chin and nose i will use short gentle strokes and use 2-3 overlapping strokes since I always seem to mess up the angle and either avoid cutting or cut too much. I don't move too fast at first because I enjoy the scratch of the razor.

Top Bottom