What's new

Razor Sharpness

Hey guys! I've been shaving for ~15 years with a parker shavette. It is all I have ever used to shave with. I wanted a straight razor but financially couldn't swing it, especially when the shavette is so much cheaper. Well last year I turned 30 and wanted to finally try a real straight razor, so I bought an Ertan Süer from Razor Emporium. They were well reviewed and the price was something I could handle. I got it in, ordered a strop from them, and per the instructions tried to shave right out of the box before stropping. It didn't NOT work, but it was nowhere near as close as I was used to even after the traditional three passes. So I stropped it and tried again, with the same result. I have spent the last year looking up better techniques for shaving, for stropping, for skin prep, and still cannot get a smooth shave. My question is this: is it possible it wasn't sharp enough to begin with, or am I probably doing something wrong? I've seen over the years how helpful people are on this forum, so I figured I'd reach out.

This wouldn't be the first instance I have heard of when a "shave ready" razor from Razor Emporium is likely not shave ready.

I am sure the straight razor experts will be along to offer their views, but at this point (1 year from purchase, possible damage to the edge from improper stropping) it likely makes sense to just send it to a reputable honer and start again.

This wouldn't be the first instance I have heard of when a "shave ready" razor from Razor Emporium is likely not shave ready.

I am sure the straight razor experts will be along to offer their views, but at this point (1 year from purchase, possible damage to the edge from improper stropping) it likely makes sense to just send it to a reputable honer and start again.
That's what I'm worried about. I don't THINK I've messed it up, if fairly meticulous and mechanically inclined, so I know I haven't drug the wrong way or at a steep angle or anything. But I'm also new so I totally could have. With it being bad from the start, I'm thinking it didn't come shave ready.

+1! Yes indeed!!

Yeah, RE have a terrible record of delivering crappy edges. There are a number of experienced honers here who will set you up with a reference edge.

Where abouts are you?

Welcome aboard! :badger:

Yeah, RE have a terrible record of delivering crappy edges. There are a number of experienced honers here who will set you up with a reference edge.

Where abouts are you?

Welcome aboard

Where abouts are you?

Welcome aboard! :badger:
Thanks! I'm in North Georgia.

Someone on this list should be close enough :)

Thank you for the list! Everyone on it is far away, I was hoping to have someone a bit closer 😔

I'm no straight shaver but have always been interested in them and read quite a bit to learn. I have much more experience with shavettes than true straights so take what I have to say with a grain of salt.

I often see the comment that shavettes (of either the DE or SE type) are sharper than any traditional straight razor that was honed even by the best. Because shavettes are so much sharper they shave differently and require a different technique that doesn't necessarily translate to a true straight.

This is no defense of RE. They are not well respected here for good reason. It's just to say that no one can really say whether your problem is the result of a bad blade on your traditional straight, or the difference that anyone would experience between a shavette and a traditional straight.

My recommendation would be to head over to the straight razor forum and ask more there. They can direct you to either a business or member who can provide you with a great edge without worry or concern.

This list of honemeisters will be useful: Honemeister - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/wiki/Honemeister

Here's a link to the honing forum which will better be able to determine whether Razor Emporium does a good job. Hones/Honing - http://badgerandblade.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=80

Finally, a link to the general straight razor forum. General Straight Razor Talk - http://badgerandblade.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=32

Wish you the best of luck in your shave journey.

I often see the comment that shavettes (of either the DE or SE type) are sharper than any traditional straight razor that was honed even by the best
It is easy to hone a straight razor and exceed the sharpness of a Feather DE blade, for example. Getting a very comfortable edge at the expense of sharpness is also very easy to achieve. Finding a good balance of sharp enough but still comfortable is where the challenge is. It is definitely achievable but it can be difficult in the beginning. With more experience in honing, it becomes easier and more predictable.

There's a point in every straight razor shaver's journey where they think "is it me or is it the edge?". When that happens the answer is "usually both". It was when I was asking that.

Lots of numbers bandied about for how long it takes to learn to use a straight razor - I found the pessimistic-sounding "100 goes" was actually pretty reliable. For me - everyone's different. And that 100 shaves comes around a lot sooner than it sounds like it will.

Meanwhile, comparison is the trick. If you can get your razor (or another reference razor) honed by someone who knows their stuff, that will be a good way to know. I tended to compare the edge to a shavette, but there's an appreciable difference in feeling. There are also tricks for checking the edge before the shave - the hanging hair test, or arm hair cutting seem to be favourites, though I have a spot on the corner of my head (my head has both hair and corners) where if I can hear it "ping" without a tug, it's about right.

I'm guessing you've watched a lot of videos on stropping - that's where you actually get the razor ready to shave, assuming there's a decent edge on it. I've never taken to the term "shave ready" - it seems to be used more as a marketing line by people who've heard it's supposed to be a good thing, and not so much by anyone whose opinion I'd trust on honing.

I could waffle on for a bit longer, but all I'd be doing is condensing the good stuff on the straight razor threads (and probably throwing in some subjective opinions). That's the place for the best advice.

Let us know how it goes.

Hey guys! I've been shaving for ~15 years with a parker shavette. It is all I have ever used to shave with. I wanted a straight razor but financially couldn't swing it, especially when the shavette is so much cheaper. Well last year I turned 30 and wanted to finally try a real straight razor, so I bought an Ertan Süer from Razor Emporium. They were well reviewed and the price was something I could handle. I got it in, ordered a strop from them, and per the instructions tried to shave right out of the box before stropping. It didn't NOT work, but it was nowhere near as close as I was used to even after the traditional three passes. So I stropped it and tried again, with the same result. I have spent the last year looking up better techniques for shaving, for stropping, for skin prep, and still cannot get a smooth shave. My question is this: is it possible it wasn't sharp enough to begin with, or am I probably doing something wrong? I've seen over the years how helpful people are on this forum, so I figured I'd reach out.

Welcome to the frustration of shaving with a straight razor.

There is a distinct possibility that your razor was not delivered shave-ready. I would send it to a known honemeister, here or elsewhere, to be certain that the razor is truly shaving sharp. You can get recommendations in the Straight Razor forums here at B&B.

The other point I would make is that (even then) there will still be a considerable learning curve with your SR, and I would not expect a shave anywhere near as good as you are getting with your shavette after 15 years of experience.

In my limited experience with a SR, I cannot get anywhere close to the shaves that I get with my AC or DE half-blade shavettes...so there is a level of commitment required to be successful with a straight razor.

Top Bottom