What's new

Razor ID

Since starting back with a double edge, I had been thinking and remembered an old straight razor a friend had given me back in the early 1970's when we were stationed in Turkey.

The handles or scales appear to be blackplastic, with the name Tiger on one side with a tiger character just above the word.

The end away from the hinge is filled with a white or ivory colored plastic, as are the stop pin for closing the blade. The pins stand proud of the scales, and feel kind of rough to the hand.

The blade is stamped 31 Tiger on one side and Lauterjung & Co, Soligen, Germany on the other side.

I presume by being Soligen it is pretty good steel

Can anyone help identify what I have?

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Pictures are always best to identify an item. It's a German blade so I would send it out to be honed and try it.

Pictures are always best to identify an item. It's a German blade so I would send it out to be honed and try it.

Camera's on the blink now so no pictures.

The blade is very clean, a couple of spots that look like stain that I cannot feel. Thats probably a miracle considering it has been in my toolbox nearly 40 years. I hit it a couple of strokes on a "strop" I had made for woodworking chisles and carving tools, a piece of leather that has been rubbed with fine polishing compound, and glued to a wooden backer for stiffness. The razor easily shaved hairs off the back of my hand, dry.

Where would be a good place to send it out for honeing, possible restoration and any ideas as to value?

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Camera's on the blink now so no pictures.

The blade is very clean, a couple of spots that look like stain that I cannot feel. Thats probably a miracle considering it has been in my toolbox nearly 40 years. I hit it a couple of strokes on a "strop" I had made for woodworking chisles and carving tools, a piece of leather that has been rubbed with fine polishing compound, and glued to a wooden backer for stiffness. The razor easily shaved hairs off the back of my hand, dry.

Where would be a good place to send it out for honeing, possible restoration and any ideas as to value?

Try someone in this list: http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/Honemeister

I would recommend someone close to you geographically to reduce mail time...

Thanks for the list, I'll contact one and see about getting it honed. Any recommendations on a strop.

I took it out tonight, put it on my anvil and with a little light tapping rounded over the rivits smoothing things out quite a bit there, and in the process tightened the blade in the scales so it does not flop about.

I then took some very fine polishing compound on a paper towel and polished the scales removing probably over 50 years of scratches, restoring it to a smooth shine.

It now looks almost new and when I recover from Christmas will see about sending it out for honeing and getting a strop

Top Bottom