What's new

Razor Down!!

image.jpg

My first razor just bit the big one. :(

My guess is it was likely dropped at some point and weakened the structure. Lent it out to a newb for a test run and it caved under the pressure.

Bad news, razor down! Good news, RAD engaged!

Anyone else have their EJ twist off in this manner?

I supposed the same. He is a bit of an ape. :)

He felt very bad, but it's no biggie. Stuff happens.

At least I have a good reason to hit the market.

Sorry to hear that you lost a razor.

Have you considered a vintage razor? There are many that have lasted over 100 years.

You can get it replated if you like, and it will be a "new" razor.

The old snap-a-roo! Sorry for your loss there, the threads are a weak point on most of these newer razors. Perfect excuse to go shopping though!

In case you're considering to get a new DE89 head:
However, Mühle recently changed the thread on the top cap to brass. The thread on mine was already heavily damaged and after e-mailing Mühle I got a replacement head (8 years after the initial purchase!). The top cap of this new head weighs roughly 3g more than the old one and has an engraved '4' on its underside. I don't know about the Edwin Jagger heads - if they actually share the same production line they should have brass threads as well by now.

Never lost a razor in that manner but I have lost 2 Maggard V1 heads due to the threads stripping out from Zamak rot.

Sorry to hear that you lost a razor.

Have you considered a vintage razor? There are many that have lasted over 100 years.

You can get it replated if you like, and it will be a "new" razor.

I am on the prowl for something vintage. Need to get more familiar with what is out there and proper price points. Luckily, we have an awesome community and resources here. It reminds me of getting into briars... so many choices/options. Takes a while to get up to speed.

To all, thank you for the condolences. I'll likely look into getting this one replaced. It was my sons fav to spend shave time with me. (No blade of course :))

I am on the prowl for something vintage. Need to get more familiar with what is out there and proper price points. Luckily, we have an awesome community and resources here. It reminds me of getting into briars... so many choices/options. Takes a while to get up to speed.

To all, thank you for the condolences. I'll likely look into getting this one replaced. It was my sons fav to spend shave time with me. (No blade of course :))

There's a million great options for vintage razors out there to choose from. One of my favorites is the flare tip superspeed. Inexpensive for a good condition example, and imo, a nice shaver.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Most heads are replaceable and you more than likely had some good use from it.:eek:

Last edited:
Vintage razors? Gillette techs are nice.:) Very mild and smooth.:) A big YES to a Super Speed. Or course, the Slim adjustable gives you all three Super Speeds, so to speak.:)

Top Bottom