What's new

Rain boots

I would like to pick up a good pair of boots to wear in the rain/snow. Not intended for long commutes- just something to wear outdoors when it’s raining or snowing considerably.

I’ve been looking at either the 6 inch or 8 inch LL Bean Boot vs. a pair of Muck Boots of similar height.

I like the fact the Bean Boots are made in Maine.

Any of you folks have a strong opinion one way or the other?

Thanks in advance for any reply.

Joe

I purchased my 8" Bean Maine Hunting Shoes in 1985 and they're still going strong. I've sent them back to L.L Bean twice for recrafting and new rubber bottoms, but the leather is original. I can't recommend these highly enough. They get me through nasty weather, hunts, and all sorts of outdoor activities. The leather is treated with either SnoSeal or mink oil on a yearly basis. They started as a size 9 and the most recent replacement rubber soles from Bean are size 10. No issues attaching to the existing leather. In fact, they're probably due to go back for a 3rd recrafting/new rubber.

The Maine Hunting Shoe rubber and sole is more flexible than the "Bean Boot" and I would recommend that if you opt for a pair.

Cheers!
BeanBoots.jpg

Went with the 8 inch bean boot. On sale 25% off currently, so I got them for $100 shipped. The shortest boot height they had in the hunting boot was 10 inches and that’s too tall for my preferences. Looking forward to trying them.

Went with the 8 inch bean boot. On sale 25% off currently, so I got them for $100 shipped. The shortest boot height they had in the hunting boot was 10 inches and that’s too tall for my preferences. Looking forward to trying them.
I don't think you can go wrong with a Bean boot. I 've had a pair of 6 inch for over 10 years and they'll go another 10.

When it's time to send them back to Bean for new soles, you can request they put the hunting shoe sole on them. They'll happily do that for you.

For some reason, I can't edit my post above. None of the recrafting was part of the warranty policy that L.L.Bean has since revised. They offer that service for their customers on these boots, similar to the way Red Wing supports it's customers. I can't recall how much the last recrafting was, but I do recall it seemed quite reasonable.

Thanks Cam. I wasn’t sure if you knew of their recent policy change. I did figure your past boot repairs could have been addressed in either way, by warranty or as a paid repair.

Thanks Cam. I wasn’t sure if you knew of their recent policy change. I did figure your past boot repairs could have been addressed in either way, by warranty or as a paid repair.
They do great recrafting work. Coming up on 35 years old and going strong!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I believe there's a 45 minute window to get back and edit then the post is locked. I might be wrong on the time but it's not very long.
dave

I thought it was 15. But either way, after the initial "oops, I made a mistake in what I just posted" window, the general notion is that it becomes a permanent part of the B&B landscape.

No, you can't go back later and make Han Solo shoot second.

I don't think George Lucas is still a member here.

proxy.php

proxy.php

I have Muck boots and knockoff Bean boots that I have had over 30 years. I prefer the Muck boots for comfort. They are like wearing slippers. I also like that they can be kicked off and slipped on easily without no laces to mess with. I have had my current Mucks over 5 years and wear them a lot. They have held up great. After trip through the mud, I usually find a creek to wade in to wash them off.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Head down to the local Tractor Supply. Pick up a pair of men’s rain boots for about 20 bucks. Just their inexpensive brand. All rubber (or plastic?). Decent traction and comfort. Best rainy day investment I’ve made to be honest. And any other day really. Any time it rains I slip them on when I go outside. For kicking around the yard they are perfect.

If you need something for all day comfort I would probably suggest something else. But a few hours messing around they are great.

+1 on the muck boots. I sort of consider them "outdoor" slippers that can deal with mud, wet, snow and as an added bonus keep your feet warm even when standing around in the snow. The failure mode is they will begin to leak (I guess I should stop stepping on boards with nails sticking up). The leaking ones get used in the summer/dry times and the new pair is used in the wet.

Ruckin.

Most comfortable and easy to take on and off snow/rain boots I have come across are made by Keen. The ones pictured below are their Winterport II boots. They are waterproof and contain 200g KEEN.Warm insulation and run around $125. My pair handled the coldest winters the entire country has to offer, up in Saranac Lake/Lake Placid area and sports a broad sole surface to keep you upright, even on slippery ice.

proxy.php

I have a pair of Muck Boot Chore, and I couldn't be happier. They are for exactly what the OP described.
I keep them by the back door, and if it's raining/sloppy outside, I slide them on and go about my business.
I've been in water up to the cusp, and have never gotten wet. *When you accidentally step in water over the top, different story, but that's not the boot's fault.*
I wouldn't want to wear them as an everyday boot. They are a bit heavy and can get hot in summer.
I personally prefer lace up boots/shoes for extended wear because of the shape of my feet.
But for the job what Muck Boots are designed - being out in the muck for an hour or two - they are a champ.

I had a pair of Muck Boots for years...I absolutely loved them.

I have recently bought and been using similar boots made by Gator Waders. I run my boots hard all year round by hunting and training dogs. High quality boots that are comfortable and highly recommended.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had a pair of Muck Boots for years...I absolutely loved them.

I have recently bought and been using similar boots made by Gator Waders. I run my boots hard all year round by hunting and training dogs. High quality boots that are comfortable and highly recommended.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I went with the bean boots and have been enjoying them for the past couple of weeks-almost as much as that win against Kentucky yesterday! GBO!

Top Bottom