What's new

R41 new version ?

I'm still watching this thread hoping to see some feedback from people trying the new R41 who also own the previous 2011 "untamed" version.

After the postman came today, I now have one of each - I got the new one in rosegold, which I like a lot.

Unfortunately the timing is poor, as I'm in the early stages of my latest blade test and I don't want to interrupt it - much as I would have liked to try the new R41 today. But as soon as that test is complete, I'll be trying the new R41 - and I'll report my findings on this thread.

I have loaded the new one up so I can compare them, and the reduced blade exposure is very noticeable. And as well as being wider, the new cap appears to be a little higher too. My first thought is that the new one probably won't work over the same range of blade angles as the old one, and I might not be able to get the same shallow angle that I like - but we'll see.

And I've just noticed that the new head is longer, so you don't get the same blade protrusion from each end of it.

Last edited:
From my previous post in this thread - I sold my 2011 for an R41 Grande some time ago and noticed the difference in weight and size of the Grande top cap and base plate when compared to the 2011 model. However, I did not realize the blade exposure difference and thought that they shaved exactly the same...

After reading this thread, my curiosity was peaked, so I picked up another 2011 R41 from the BST for comparison. The blade exposure difference is very noticeable as expected and the weight and dimension comparison was the same between the Grande and the 2011 just as before (I can post measurements and weights if anyone is interested).

On to the shave! I always use a Voskhod blade with the R41 as it provides the best performance for me. On Friday, I loaded up the new-to-me 2011 with a fresh Voskhod and enjoyed a morning shave on one day's growth. To my surprise, the 2011 R41 was "more aggressive" feeling and after the shave, I had the weepers to prove it. Was the shave better than the new model? Um - no. The shave was equally as close as the new model, but the irritation level was much higher. I decided to go again with the 2011 this AM on two days growth (which is my normal shave for the R41) and the same Voskhod blade. The shave today was much less irritating and was as close as any DE I've used.

So here is my conclusion/opinion on this new top cap & base plate when compared with the 2011 offering: the new 2012 changes are a big win! The shave is absolutely every bit as close when compared with the 2011, but the irritation level is much less with the new design. If you are happy with the 2011 shave, I can't say that the new design is worth offering up additional cash for yet another Muhle, unless you are just curious as I was. However, if you're in the market for an R41, I would definitely seek out the new design which most vendors are probably carrying now anyway. Hope my opinions help.

I'm still watching this thread hoping to see some feedback from people trying the new R41 who also own the previous 2011 "untamed" version. I have and enjoy the untamed R41 very much. If I want something a little milder I can use my Cadet, Fatip, 11C or even a Gillette New. I use all except the 11C and New on a Weber Bulldog handle. Other than for RAD sakes I'm trying to determine if it's something that's really going to fill a void in my choice of razor for any given day. I really like all the aforementioned razors. Is there a gap the new tamed R41 version is going to fill?

I'd like to hear some comparisons.

... So here is my conclusion/opinion on this new top cap & base plate when compared with the 2011 offering: the new 2012 changes are a big win! The shave is absolutely every bit as close when compared with the 2011, but the irritation level is much less with the new design. ...

Thanks. This tends to confirm my view that I don't need the new R41, cuz that's what I have my Fatips for. :a11:

From my previous post in this thread - I sold my 2011 for an R41 Grande some time ago and noticed the difference in weight and size of the Grande top cap and base plate when compared to the 2011 model. However, I did not realize the blade exposure difference and thought that they shaved exactly the same...

After reading this thread, my curiosity was peaked, so I picked up another 2011 R41 from the BST for comparison. The blade exposure difference is very noticeable as expected and the weight and dimension comparison was the same between the Grande and the 2011 just as before (I can post measurements and weights if anyone is interested).

On to the shave! I always use a Voskhod blade with the R41 as it provides the best performance for me. On Friday, I loaded up the new-to-me 2011 with a fresh Voskhod and enjoyed a morning shave on one day's growth. To my surprise, the 2011 R41 was "more aggressive" feeling and after the shave, I had the weepers to prove it. Was the shave better than the new model? Um - no. The shave was equally as close as the new model, but the irritation level was much higher. I decided to go again with the 2011 this AM on two days growth (which is my normal shave for the R41) and the same Voskhod blade. The shave today was much less irritating and was as close as any DE I've used.

So here is my conclusion/opinion on this new top cap & base plate when compared with the 2011 offering: the new 2012 changes are a big win! The shave is absolutely every bit as close when compared with the 2011, but the irritation level is much less with the new design. If you are happy with the 2011 shave, I can't say that the new design is worth offering up additional cash for yet another Muhle, unless you are just curious as I was. However, if you're in the market for an R41, I would definitely seek out the new design which most vendors are probably carrying now anyway. Hope my opinions help.

Thanks! Nice write up. I used my 2011 R41 this am with an Astra. That's my version of the R41 "tamed". Different blades and angles allows the untamed version to be used a lot of different ways.

Great, thanks for the review.

This is what I was hoping for really. Rather than a brand new R41, it sounds like the 2013 R41 is a slightly more refined version of the 2011 model. I doubt I will sell my 2011 R41, but it sounds like there is enough reason to get the 2013 R41 too. I enjoy shaving with the 2011 model, but always feel like with just a little taming it could become my go to razor rather than being a razor I like using on occasion.

I've been shaving with the "new" R41 for a little while now, with both high performance blades and "forgiving" blades. I find no significant difference between the 2011 & 2013 R41's. YMMV of course.

I have heard the heads are identical. The question is, is this correct?
The base plates of the 2011 and 2013 (refined) models appear to differ. The top cap is wider, ans the base plate seems so, too. I do not have definitive measurements on the base plat yet. No changes were made in the threading.

So, how does the 2013 compare to the 2011?
The extra width of the top cap reduces blade exposure, reducting the 2011's ability to "bite" and draw blood. No other changes were made to the head geometry. Therefore, the refined model is very near as aggressive, but has better manners. :thumbup1:

Last edited:
i must be blind but does anyone have the new version in the usa yet? i may have missed it i guess but i have not seen anyone state 2013 locally. opinions of the grande model in the 2013 version vs non-grande?

how well is the rose gold done on this model it very nice looking but i have a few rose gold items including a watch and after some time the plating tends to fade in some areas?

Last edited:
The base plates of the 2011 and 2013 (refined) models are identical

Comparing mine, the 2013 base plate is actually a bit longer (as is the cap), leaving less of the blade ends protruding - but other than that, the geometry is the same.

I must admit, I was quite scared to try to 2011 R41. But after reading all the comments about the new 2013 R41, I just pulled the trigger on one. Can't wait to try out it out. I'm hoping it'll arrive by the end of the week.

Comparing mine, the 2013 base plate is actually a bit longer (as is the cap), leaving less of the blade ends protruding - but other than that, the geometry is the same.
Hmm, you may very well be right. I have not yet received my refined R41 from Muhle, but here is the full size shot by Christian Vela:

$p5210479aa_zps91e1c98c.jpg

It does appear to have a wider baseplate, too.

Top Bottom