What's new

R41 new version ?

I was going through mantic59's tweets and one of his tweet says there is a new R41 version that is less aggressive than current version. Any idea if it is available in US market?

Last edited:
i have never heard of that unless he was referring to the older R41 open-comb razors that were nothing like this new R41 2011 version.
The older ones were the 2009 and 2010 versions which were/are very similar to the Merkur 1904 razors.
Good luck if there is a new version.

i have never heard of that unless he was referring to the older R41 open-comb razors that were nothing like this new R41 2011 version.

Celestino, I think you might be right. The tweet is vague and it appears he may have inadvertently confused the two. That I know of the only thing new with the R41 2011 is a new variation with a rose-gold handle.

It is true. The R41 was modified (or tamed) silently by Mühle in July or August last year.

We have the pre-2011 R41, using an open comb made by Merkur, that head is pretty much like a Gillette Old Type. That's not the topic here.

In June 2011 Mühle released the R41 we are talking about. That one used a cap 18.8 mm wide. Last summer they silently tamed the beast a bit, Mühle's current production caps are 20.2 mm wide. Well, 1.4 mm wider cap does not sound to be important, but the wider cap does not allow the blade to flatter that much. Resulting in direct shaves, but much smoother than the first release.

To find out which one you have is to measure the width of the cap. In case you don't have a caliper at hand but an 89-series DE, you can compare it with that head: Is your R41's head smaller than that of the R89 you have the untamed beast. Is the R41's cap wider you have the new girlie version.

Last edited:
It is true. The R41 was modified (or tamed) silently by Mühle in July or August last year.

We have the pre-2011 R41, using an open comb made by Merkur, that head is pretty much like a Gillette Old Type. That's not the topic here.

In June 2011 Mühle released the R41 we are talking about. That one used a cap 18.8 mm wide. Last summer they silently tamed the beast a bit, Mühle's current production caps are 20.2 mm wide. Well, 1.4 mm wider cap does not sound to be important, but the wider cap does not allow the blade to flatter that much. Resulting in direct shaves, but much smoother than the first release.

To find out which one you have is to measure the width of the cap. In case you don't have a caliper at hand but an 89-series DE, you can compare it with that head: Is your R41's head smaller than that of the R89 you have the untamed beast. Is the R41's cap wider you have the new girlie version.

That would explain why I don't find my new R41 the BEAST everyone is warning about:)

That one used a cap 18.8 mm wide. Last summer they silently tamed the beast a bit, Mühle's current production caps are 20.2 mm wide. Well, 1.4 mm wider cap does not sound to be important, but the wider cap does not allow the blade to flatter that much. Resulting in direct shaves, but much smoother than the first release.

Elbe, that's quite interesting news. I had similar thoughts myself about a wider cap when I got the original version. Glad to be incorrect since I now have a great excuse to run out and buy the new girlie version in rose-gold.

:a14:

This makes me want to try the R41 again. I had the chattering one, where the blade would skip and chatter across my face (at least until the blood provided some lubrication). If the cap is indeed wider, it might not only lessen the skipping and chattering, but it might also increase the curvature of the blade and thereby lessen the razor's aggressiveness...

This makes me want to try the R41 again. I had the chattering one, where the blade would skip and chatter across my face (at least until the blood provided some lubrication). If the cap is indeed wider, it might not only lessen the skipping and chattering, but it might also increase the curvature of the blade and thereby lessen the razor's aggressiveness...

I agree, the 2009 R41 with a Merkur head was great, but just a little too mild.

The 2011 R41 with the massive blade gap and lots of blade exposure was an impressive razor, but too aggressive.

The 2013 R41 with a wider cap and milder blade angle sounds just right:thumbup:

$e-bk-easy-readers-04goldilocks-pic3-anim.gif

Is it too early to declare the June 2011 R41 as the superior model now that it is no longer available?

Does anyone have both editions of this razor? Perhaps a photo comparo with calipers would be in order...

It is going to be interesting to see how Mühle dealt with re-engineering the cap, since I imagine they might have had to make it slightly thicker as well. A thicker cap might limit the extraordinary range (blade angle) that the original 2011 R41 possesses.

I know it's very minor change but is there any way to visually compare tamed and untamed version ?

Hi everyone, I have got R41, 2013. Unfortunately I don´t have 2011 R41 so I cannot tell the differences. Here are some photos and comparison with R89 cap.

Attachments

• $SSCN3696.JPG
    $SSCN3696.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 1,536
  • $SSCN3697.JPG
    $SSCN3697.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 1,527
  • $SSCN3698.JPG
    $SSCN3698.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 1,528
  • $SSCN3699.JPG
    $SSCN3699.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 1,527
I wonder if I should give the R41 another try. I wonder if it might now work for me...

Tobias Fünke: “No, it never does. I mean, these people somehow delude themselves into thinking it might, but... But, it might work for us!”

Is the EJ de89lbl the same head as the R89? I just measured my R41 cap against my EJ89 cap and the R41 is slightly smaller.

Top Bottom