What's new

Quit Being Ungrateful!

Whew!

Great thread, a few comments--

Often, essayist overdramatize to make a point and blend concepts to try to provide a big picture. Whoever wrote the article threw in everything but the kitchen sink trying to make the point that generally speaking we in the US are spoiled, not well informed, willing to take the lead of biased media sources, and are unrealistic in our expectations of the Executive Branch.

Also, the article is pointing out that there seems to be a feeding frenzy between the media and the public with growing momentum-- our current president is a complete boob, a backroom operator with evil connections to big business, and a liar who knowingly misrepresented the reasons for the Iraq War in order to get the public behind it, manipulating the public's rage and heartsickness on 9/11 in order to protect our oil interests.

The article's position is that if you buy into those views you are just a lemming-- things are not as bad as all that-- look at all the good things you have . . . simmer down now. The article implies that an alternative view point would be that things are not all that bad, the executive branch must be doing something right, and we are all just a big bunch of complainers blindly following vulture media's lead.

Though I agree that we should take a moment-- just a moment-- to think about how fortunate we are with all of the things that are "right" in America, there is no shame in a little public uneasiness and outrage, and nothing wrong with the media noticing that direction and going with it. Whether the media loves the president or hates her (!) there will always be folks who stay on the surface, just accept the media pablum and do not make up their own minds. Then there are the rest of us, more than you would think, who look at all media viewpoints with a degree of cynicism, take it all in and make up their own minds.

I do agree that the media is pretty strident right now in its attacks on Bush, but I don't agree that the US in general is a bunch of whiners. One reason the US is such a great place is because many people before us would not settle and think they were lucky enough as it was. Civil Rights, worker's rights, FDA regulations which protect us from being poisoned, all came about because folks did not focus on what they had but focused on what was wrong. This does not make them ungrateful or whiners, it makes them patriots.

History, not just US history, is full of people who would not settle. If we collectively think Bush is doing a poor job, we will get our chance in the near future to replace him. If we think the war is bad, we can vote for people who are against it, or go to Washington and hold a sign outside the Capitol building. And in the meantime, we are going to go to our coffee shops, and virtual coffee shops and talk to each other about all of this-- both superficially, when we have not had the time to really look at something, and critically, when we have had the time, looked at a few sources, picked our own opinion out from all of the noose. This is not whining, this is democracy.

If the media wants to focus on Bush's flaws and mistakes, they have every right to do so. If the media wants to ignore any number of positive things about his administration and take every opportunity to illustrate what a poor public speaker he is, and wants to imply that he is in corporate america's back pocket, so long as the stories are not a complete fabrication, they have every right to put their stories out there. Since it is a free mediia-- and getting freeer all the time with channels like Youtube, Blogs, etc.. We have ample opportunities to carry forward our suspicion of media bias and find an alternative channel for our information.

Keep complaining, keep trying to make things better, and every once in a while, for a sec, take a look at all that we have and be grateful.

Vin

Yeah I wouldn't lay money down on that letter being from Jay Leno. Either way American's complaining is a wonderful right we enjoy in this country. I don't want to live in a country whose president has a 100% job approval rating, nor do I want to live in one where we follow our elected leaders simply because we "don't have all the facts." I like living in a country where John Hippie can burn the flag or Joe Lunch bucket can call the President a moron. There are MANY examples where the government, despite their great repository of knowledge and ability, was wrong. Was President Kennedy right when he went along with the "Bay of Pigs?" Was the million man march and MLK questioning the racist policies of the south wrong? Was separate but equal really the right thing all along, and the NAACP was wrong for demanding integration? Governments are fallible no one is perfect. To give up your right to question the government, either rightly or wrongly, is to give up a freedom that you should possess. John Locke had the right idea so long ago, rights are something to be cherished above all things, because people will gladly take your rights from you, and once they are gone, you can never get them back. Freedom of speech isn't a bad thing; it promotes discourse and sometimes needed change.

J

Just Mike

I like it here. Just curious, why do you think it is that so many people from so many different countries want to leave their "homes" to live in the US? And of those Americans who decide they don't want to live here anymore...what is the country that all of those folks are flocking to?

My 4 grandparents were immigrants. Our first tv was black and white. I can remember how it was before we figured how to land on the moon. Now I'm retired and my family and I live well. I voted for Bush twice. A mistake, but guess what....this country will get over it...just like they got over Vietnam, and Nixon, and the (im)morality of the Clinton administration, and so on. The reason I know this country will get over it is that we always have in the past - because - there will be good people who will GET INVOLVED and make positive changes.

Sitting on the sidelines and whining is easy. If the US is that bad it shouldn't be too hard for the whiners out there to find a better country to adopt - Just Do It, as they say at Nike. Otherwise quit whining and get involved. Be one of the "doers" that will contribute to the future successes of the US.

And, oh yeah, please keep us posted as to which country you decide to run off to. That should be good for a laugh or two. Best regards...

Two different things--

--Publicly commenting on our leaders actions-- either to each other like this, in the op ed space in the local paper. I do not look at this as whining.

-- Taking the next step and offering to take an active role in governing-- either by helping someone monetarily, with your time, or by stepping into public service yourself.

Both are necessary. If you publicly state your disatisfaction, the public awareness is raised, and that person next to you who is on the fence might be persuaded.

Top Bottom