What's new

Quick question RE: Gillette NEW's

I have two Gillette NEW razor's and both originally were gold tone. One long comb and one short comb. I had both apart at the same time and?!?!?!?!?!?

Which one gets the longer handle? The cap's don't fit the other comb or I would be in real trouble. (Note to self, take one razor apart at a time especially if they are so similiar.)

It's not a question that I am going to lose more than 15 minutes of sleep on, but I would appreciate it if someone more knowledgeable would shine some light on this.:w00t:

Thank you in advance!

DougieB

I'm a big fan of the New and this may not help much but News were offered with many different handles.

I own some short combs with long handles and long combs with short handles and vice versa.

Below are some of the handles I have seen with US made New/New Deluxe three piece razors.

From left:

Ball End, Thin Bar Handle (Long), Shoulderless Bar Handle (Long), Thin Bar Handle, Bar Handle, Tuckaway style.

proxy.php

Some that are not shown are the short Norfolk bar handle, Red Black Bar, and the various British handles.

Last edited:
I made that same mistake. And the two handles (common bar) appear identical. You might be able to tell by measuring the diameter of the indentation on the bottom plate. My SC NEW is about 1.5mm narrower than the LC NEW. The handles likewise vary by that same amount. It's just enough so that the LC NEW handle doesn't sit straight on the SC head.

This is good to know, as I often polish several at one time. Be just my luck to get them all mixed up and not know it till I cut myself with a poorly centered blade!
Johnnie

If you're talking about the stubby little Norfolk-style bar handle -- the one kind that Chris's photo didn't show :tongue_sm -- then it should probably go with the short comb. I've only ever seen the sets that used that handle with a short-comb head.

proxy.php

Top Bottom