What's new

Questions from a Newbie

Ok guys, I'm getting ready to start doing a restoration, this type of thing is right up my alley! I do have a couple questions though:

I'm assuming that setting the loft is a function of how deeply the knot is set into the handle. If that's the case, what do people typically use as a filler if they want to set the loft higher? In other words, if the hole is too deep, is there a quick-set putty or something to fill it in a little, or does everyone have their own way of doing it?

Do most people use simple 2-part epoxy to set the knot? Is there something better?

Thanks for the help!

-Tom

There are a variety of different things used. I personally use the corks from empty wine bottles. Others have used silicone, epoxy, pennies, washers, those kinds of things.

The epoxy that I use is the Devcon 5 minute.

Ok guys, I'm getting ready to start doing a restoration, this type of thing is right up my alley! I do have a couple questions though:

I'm assuming that setting the loft is a function of how deeply the knot is set into the handle. If that's the case, what do people typically use as a filler if they want to set the loft higher? In other words, if the hole is too deep, is there a quick-set putty or something to fill it in a little, or does everyone have their own way of doing it?

Do most people use simple 2-part epoxy to set the knot? Is there something better?

Thanks for the help!

-Tom

I use Silicone sealant/adhesive if I need to fill the handle.

I would put the knot in the handle with no glue/silicone, and measure to determine what you want, where you want to set it.

Squeeze a little silicone in, tap it on the table or your hand to settle it, add more, repeat as necessary...REMEMBER, you can always add more, so don't get too silicone happy.

Then press the knot into the handle (make sure you have enough silicone to touch the base of the knot, but not so much it overflows). Using silicone allows you to move the knot up and down, and straighten it because it will take a few hours to set up.

I've done a few this way, and I've never had an issue.

I've also used Gorilla glue, and two part epoxy, but one part adhesives are less messy and easier to control.

I use synthetic corks to fill a handle if needed. They're lightweight, no water absorption and you can shape it to whatever you need. Epoxy it in and if you're ready at that time set the knot as well. I use a 2 part marine epoxy, brush is usable after 12 hours. Set in the early evening and use it in the AM.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I like a heavier handle, so I used 2 nuts, with shims cut from a wine cork to get the height right. Pouring epoxy in will displace the cork so everything is tacked together with superglue to keep things from moving around when I do my pour. There is also a significant amount of heat released from the curing of a large amount of epoxy, so keep an eye on it if you have a really thin delicate plastic type handle. Finally large amounts of curing epoxy seemed to expand a bit, so I pour the first layer to the height I want, and then after it cures I set the knot. My first one had fair amount of overflow when I did the whole thing at once.

I should add that I like to have a lot of epoxy in the handle to strengthen, so I use a fair bit. If you fill most of the cavity with cork, heat and expansion should be minimal, if not nonexistent.

Last edited:
Top Bottom