What's new

Questions about a D3 Executive Fatboy

I recently was gifted my fathers old razor. Its a beauty and I'm glad to have it.

The issue is that the dial only adjusts up to the "8" setting and then stops. It is not sticking, it just seems like it stops cold like it bumps against something.

I doubt I'd ever use the 9 setting but I like stuff to work well and I think this razor deserves better.

I've soaked the razor in warm water and Dawn and did a little work with a tooth brush and got a lot of scum out. A drop of lite oil in a few spots and everything works smooth except it only goes to 8.

Am I talking tune up?

I've looked at a few videos and I'm mechanically inclined but this razor repair is a new space for me.

"Dirty"

Attachments

• IMG_5303.jpeg
    IMG_5303.jpeg
    794.3 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_5304.jpeg
    IMG_5304.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 33
R

romsitsa

Hello, no worries it is only overclocked. The mechanism goes only from 1 to 9 as there is a stop, but if you press in the spring, the dial will turn over 9/below 1 until it reaches the end of the thread.
In you case the dial was turned over 9, so you go down to 1, press in the spring and go to 9, check the blade gap. If it is still too big, do a full turn down.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Yes, could be it's "overclocked" as that gap seems huge for the 1 setting. Easy fix.

Hello, no worries it is only overclocked. The mechanism goes only from 1 to 9 as there is a stop, but if you press in the spring, the dial will turn over 9/below 1 until it reaches the end of the thread.
In you case the dial was turned over 9, so you go down to 1, press in the spring and go to 9, check the blade gap. If it is still too big, do a full turn down.
Well now I did it. Your explanation made sense. I took a fingernail file and depressed the spring enough to get the dial to move. I couldn't get back to getting a clicking sound and found the spring had broke.
I'm sick.
Are these parts available. Should I send it to someone for repair?

Humbled but not out of the game yet.
Dirty

Does anyone here repair these? I heard of a Captain Murphy but he hasn't been active for a few years.

Razor emporium any good?

Dirty

R

romsitsa

Sorry to hear it. Cpt. Murphy is still available afaik, only the return time got longer.
There is a replacement spring offered by Razor emporium, but that is nickel colored.
Another option would be Slim or Super adjustable springs, but if I remember correctly these are shorter than the Fatboy clicker.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Oh no! 😭

I know that feeling, when there is something you truly love and it breaks, your heart just sinks. Where you are in luck, is the resources available online to get it sent in and fixed, as other's have instructed you to do. Getting it fixed, cleaned, lubed, or even a couple parts replaced, I think would be the best outcome for that razor.

I wish you good luck, and please keep us updated on how it all goes. You have our support! :)

Sent it off to Razor Emporium this morning.

When I get it back, I'll swing by and give an update.

I hate entrusting this heirloom to someone but I keep telling myself that in its current state it is a parts machine or a door stop.

Later,
Dirty

Well its back. I am happy with the repairs and the tuneup. I got a note late last week that repairs had begun and Saturday it was completed and shipped the same day. It must have caught the mail just right because it was in my mailbox mid day Monday (today).
I thought the ordering process was a little cumbersome. I recall having to enter my name and address maybe 3 times. I did not open an account so that may have hurt the process. Well worth the trouble.

I have yet to use this razor and I'm anxious to try it.

I swear when I opened the package, my facial hair jumped a little. Not sure it was fear or just the anticipation of working with such a lovely machine.IMG_5335.jpegIMG_5336.jpegIMG_5337.jpeg

Dirty.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I really hope that you like your new razor. I like the shine on it, and it looks to be adjustable to, which I also like. I've become an instant fan of adjustable razors. I never thought I would like them. But once you experience an adjustable, its a life changing experience. I hope that you update the forum on your findings, once you've had a chance to use it of course. :)

I recently was gifted my fathers old razor. Its a beauty and I'm glad to have it.

The issue is that the dial only adjusts up to the "8" setting and then stops. It is not sticking, it just seems like it stops cold like it bumps against something.

I doubt I'd ever use the 9 setting but I like stuff to work well and I think this razor deserves better.

I've soaked the razor in warm water and Dawn and did a little work with a tooth brush and got a lot of scum out. A drop of lite oil in a few spots and everything works smooth except it only goes to 8.

Am I talking tune up?

I've looked at a few videos and I'm mechanically inclined but this razor repair is a new space for me.

"Dirty"
Congratulations on being gifted your father's Executive. I, too, was gifted my father's Executive and it had the same problem. I sent it off to Razor Emporium for a fix up and I decided to get it replated at the same time. I think my father would have approved, as he always took care of his tools. Razor Emporium did a great job and now it is one of my prized possessions. Happy shaves.

Top Bottom