What's new

Questionable & poor quality razors on Ebay

Shipping is never off putting to me unless it's clearly gouging ($45 shipping and handling). I mean, if it's $5 with free worldwide shipping... you can do the math on that.

But Mr. Parko does free shipping on his Gold Dollar razors. Grand total $20. It's a fine shaving razor and costs in bulk like $1.25. Add on customs and initial shipping, shipping to the customer. It adds up with a profit for the seller.

Now, you'd still have to have it honed and MAYBE the shoulders reground. Tack on another $20-$30. But that could be true of any razor you buy off eBay.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
Received a razor today via eBay and immediately returning it as "not as described". What was stated as an UNUSED 7/8 Clauss was actually a 6/8 Clauss with the tell tale signs of heat to the blade causing a rainbow effect which often is associated with loss of temper. Rather than lose MY temper I emailed seller and shipped it back for a full refund. I may have bought my last eBay razor.... I'm more often likely to purchase from trusted members via the BST or in the wild where I can examine the item closely.

There is so much that can be wrong or can go wrong with straight razors that I don't even buy from "the Bay" anymore and I don't buy from members on the B/S/T unless they have a few posts. I feel it improves accountability.

I am composing a database of members I have interacted with and razors I have bought on the B/S/T. I may publicize the best sellers. I won't mention poor sellers/shippers in the hopes that they learn the error of their ways.

I am amazed at any member who does not pack boxes as I am sure they would expect. Straight razors are delicate - you can't just throw one in a Flat-rate box with no packing material and expect it to be good! This isn't opinion, this is physics.

I am also amazed at how many people will sell razors as "shave-ready" when they couldn't even give a painful SAS. I won't work with those people again. It's too bad - there are a lot of return sellers to the B/S/T that would have had a return customer if they had better customer service skills.

I work in customer service and have been commended for my good customer service skills by "problem clients" so I know what good customer service looks like. The French have a saying "Le client est Roi" - rough English translation "The customer is King". I am always looking for a good value, but it is hard for me to resist good customer service. I'll pay a little more for excellent customer service. A look at "The Golden Rule" may be helpful too. How would you prefer to be treated?

Ending on a positive, there really are a LOT of great sellers on B&B. I have never gotten a razor that was terribly off. Almost all use Delivery Confirmation and are truthful in their descriptions. If someone describes their razor as a "resto" I do not expect to be shaving with it this week. I have "friended" some of the better B&B sellers and I will almost assuredly buy from them again.

If this is too much of a rant would a Mod please tell me or expurgate it?

Peace and good values,

Top Bottom