What's new

Questionable & poor quality razors on Ebay

I bought seven razors from this EBAY Seller. Virtually all were described as having NO NICKS, etc and yet, many of the edges do have nicks and some pitting as well. Now, I expect that ALL can be restored nicely, but that was not what was described. I did not leave negative feedback as this can be a difficult experience. I have only one negative item in my history and it was from a seller I paid and who did not deliver an item as described. He then gave me a negative feedback because I gave him one!

Well, caveat emptor. I just want you guys to be aware this guy has over characterized the quality of what he sells.

His moniker is : llscottiescott

Here is one described as "Excellent" and near mint and yet it has pitting, several nicks on the edge and the scales are oxidized.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=018&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=280108333273&rd=1&rd=1

This seller is all over ebay right now. It's not smart, just dishonest.

Did you happen to run into this person bidding on junk razors? I was really surprised when I saw he/she/it was reselling them.

I regret that you got ripped off and didn't give negative feedback. This seller has 100% positive on over 600 sales. Of course, it was you in that situation and not me. Only time will tell what I'll do if faced with the same situation.

FWIW, any seller who waits to leave feedback until the buyer does is not worthy of your business. It's extortion and business as usual for some.

G

guardian1

i placed a bid on one of those zeepk razor sets (2 razors, strop, brush, soap,etc) anyways, from the description, it seemed to me that this stuff, at least the razors, were made in germany. knowing that the germans have their engineering wired pretty tight, and not knowing what the heck i was doing, i placed the bid and won. i paid for it yesterday and am waiting for it to arrive. mmy brother who is an engineer said that anything made of steel from pakistan is crap and that i shouldn't bother shaving with them, but to use them to practise honing instead. my brother is just getting started straight shaving, so i was wondering if you guys thought this was sound advice, or maybe it would be ok to shave with them. and if not, does anyone know of a good "starter" straight razor i could buy for around $40? thanks!

i placed a bid on one of those zeepk razor sets (2 razors, strop, brush, soap,etc) anyways, from the description, it seemed to me that this stuff, at least the razors, were made in germany. knowing that the germans have their engineering wired pretty tight, and not knowing what the heck i was doing, i placed the bid and won. i paid for it yesterday and am waiting for it to arrive. mmy brother who is an engineer said that anything made of steel from pakistan is crap and that i shouldn't bother shaving with them, but to use them to practise honing instead. my brother is just getting started straight shaving, so i was wondering if you guys thought this was sound advice, or maybe it would be ok to shave with them. and if not, does anyone know of a good "starter" straight razor i could buy for around $40? thanks!

You might be able to shave with them, but I won't be the one to recommend it. Zeepk strops and razors are garbage. Shaving with one is like competing in the tour de france on a unicycle: you can do it, but it will suck and people will laugh at you.
As for a $40 straight, there's one on the B/S/T forum right now for $35. You'd be hard pressed to find anything shave ready for that price anywhere else.

As for a $40 straight, there's one on the B/S/T forum right now for $35. You'd be hard pressed to find anything shave ready for that price anywhere else.
Except the Straight Razor Place B/S/T forums, they pop up there all the time (I realise I've been mentioning SRP a lot over here lately, by no means am I trying to take people away from B&B, it's a fantastic place, but SRP just is the place to be for straight-specific stuff, in my opinion).

I bought seven razors from this EBAY Seller. Virtually all were described as having NO NICKS, etc and yet, many of the edges do have nicks and some pitting as well. Now, I expect that ALL can be restored nicely, but that was not what was described. I did not leave negative feedback as this can be a difficult experience. I have only one negative item in my history and it was from a seller I paid and who did not deliver an item as described. He then gave me a negative feedback because I gave him one!

Well, caveat emptor. I just want you guys to be aware this guy has over characterized the quality of what he sells.

His moniker is : llscottiescott

Here is one described as "Excellent" and near mint and yet it has pitting, several nicks on the edge and the scales are oxidized.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=018&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=280108333273&rd=1&rd=1

Terrible, I hate those dishonest sellers. And even worse, eBay isn't doing anything about it. I too have refrained from giving negative feedback for fear of reprisals. Even when the eBay rules were blatantly disregarded and the seller was evading eBay charges, eBay didn't do anything with my report.

Except the Straight Razor Place B/S/T forums, they pop up there all the time (I realise I've been mentioning SRP a lot over here lately, by no means am I trying to take people away from B&B, it's a fantastic place, but SRP just is the place to be for straight-specific stuff, in my opinion).

What I meant was on forums in general (Here, SMF, SRP etc.) You won't find anything shave ready for that price from a store.

Just happened upon this post now, It might be an idea to sticky a thread like this so people see it before they get ripped off. I bought a Zeepk "razor" and before the thing arrived I looked at this forum and discovered this fine "made in Germany" product was infact, crap and even said "made in pakistan on the cover). This was confirmed on opening the package... the head fell out of the brush, the soap smelled so putrid and sickly I nearly threw up (think urinal cake smell, only worse), the strop was cheap looking and undoubtedly crap and the razor's edge seemed to be ground with an industrial tool rather than honed. What I'm wondering is how people like this are still in business if they advertise false information and sell a product that is way below anything that can be considered useful or practical, never mind decent quality! Cowboys and thieves.

I, too, discovered Badger and Blade only after I bought Zeepk's "starter set". The head fell off my brush after the 2nd use. The strop seems like its some sort of cheap plastic and the hangar is made from a bent nail.

The "new" blades came already worn and with blemishes on the cheap scales. As it was my first straight shave, I had no baseline to judge the Zeepk's sharpness and thought the pain and irritation was due to my inexperience. I have since relegated these blades to opening mail and those impossible-to-open clear plastic blister packages all modern electronics seem to be wrapped in.

Hey from a newbie to this forum. In my experience buying antique razors is best done for their aesthetics & not their useability. If you want a razor for shaving I would go to www.knifecenter.com/knifecenter (not a paid advert:eek: ). E-bay tends to have too many sharks selling crap :cursing:

ive got one good str8 at a flea market and i got one at an antique store that i believe could be returned to shaving condition without *to* much effort.

Unfortunately, I didn't find this site until after making a purchase from Zeepk. You get what you pay for and what I got was crap. The razors will be useful to practice honing or scraping pricetags off but not for shaving. The strop is horrible, it has flat spots and one of the pieces is vinyl, not leather or linen/canvas. Also, the soap smells like saddle soap. All in all, a terrible purchase.

Unfortunately, I didn't find this site until after making a purchase from Zeepk. You get what you pay for and what I got was crap. The razors will be useful to practice honing or scraping pricetags off but not for shaving. The strop is horrible, it has flat spots and one of the pieces is vinyl, not leather or linen/canvas. Also, the soap smells like saddle soap. All in all, a terrible purchase.

I use mine to open those impossible to get into plastic blister packs that everything is packaged in these days.

well guys as you see im really new here, but i have to been looking for a cheap but good str8. i have seen a few mentions of the double arrow on this site. no really bad things about it. i have done alot of surfing on srp and found that the double for the price as had fairly ok reviews. they say the scale are complete crap but the blade on it is pretty good. it hones up really well and also get pretty sharp. so that pretty much has put me on a quest to figure how to make scales and make a good cheap razor. from what i also understand that there are 2 of the razors called the double arrow. one with a black handle and another with a white handle. the one with the white handle from stamps222 is the one that is pretty nice from what i read. well minus the scales. so take this with a grain of salt and for 13 bucks delivered i figure worse comes to worse i have a nice letter opener and something to practice with. just my 2 cents

jason

I'm a n00b, and I just bought three e-shady specials.
1: W.H. Morley & Sons: Clover Brand Germany (has a nice fourleaf clover and other dec etching on the shank, no nicks, doesn't look like it's been used much, just old)
2: Geo Wostenholm & Son, Sheffield England: IXL (had a nick, but it was shown and described in the eBay listing, also included the original box, I already used some 600 grit to take care of the nick; before and after the nick are the bottom two images)
3: Hobbson Cutlery Co (this one hasn't shown up yet, but looks like it may have some nice wooden scales on the listing)
I picked up all three of these for under 30 including shipping. Looking into using some of the diamond lapping films (instead of shelling out big $$), to put an edge on each one of these and get a feel for them.
View attachment 33204

I just wanted to check with others:

I'm watching an auction right now where the seller is offering free shipping worldwide, and that kind of threw up a red flag for me.

Does that seem fishy to anyone else? Or has this sort of thing been done before?

I guess technically you don't have to reply here, you can just PM me, but it might help others who are in the same boat.

Thanks in advance,

--miamijuggler

Top Bottom