What's new

Question, just got a 3 piece model.

I shave 7 days a week. I just rinse my three piece, daily. On Saturday, toss blade, clean razor, dry, put away. Sunday is next razor with new blade day. Once my hands were a little slippery, before carpel tunnel surgery. That made it hard to know how much grip I had. The razor head slipped around, did not bite me. Since then, put razor head in washcloth.

I disassemble my 3-piece after shaving, pat the blade semi-dry with a towel, then use my blow dryer on it for a few seconds to minimize oxidation. I set all the parts including the blade on a Aira Soap Saver to dry. I like using the Aira because air circulates around it. The key is to PAY ATTENTION while disassembling and assembling a 3-piece razor. Otherwise, it's easy to zone out and get cut.

I swap razors nearly every shave, so I remove the blade and dry the razor (whether TTO or 3-piece) and rinse the blade and set it aside to dry. It sounds crazy, but when I take the blade out of the razor, I clean the blade first and then put one of the ends of the blade between my two front lips while cleaning the razor to keep track and control of it. I‘be never cut myself and I don’t have to try and pick it up from a flat surface which I’ve had issues with before—besides it helps me focus and stay on task.

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
I actually suffer from OCD so when it comes to razors I'm hectic. All my razors have zamak heads apart from my Fatip piccolo. After every shave I take my razors apart I run the blade under hot water then pat it dry and return it to its wrapper. Then take the razor apart and wash it in clean water with a babies tooth brush which is very soft. Then a pat the different parts of the razor with towel and then wipe evert part down with a very soft cloth to remove any water or soap scum I may have missed. I dont tighten my razors to keep pressure of the centre posts and return it to its stand. Hopefully some of my routine will make my zamak heads last a bit longer I don't have any TTO razors just 2 and 3 pieces

I loosen the head and then rinse with the blade still inside, then leave it to try like that.

There's an old Gillette advert that gives a demonstration about it

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Over these many years I've only had two "good" cuts, and both were provided by bare razor blades, so I don't handle them until I must - when changing blades.

I only disassemble when it's time to change the blade, or if I am using a carbon steel blade (to prevent rust). Otherwise, I just rinse and hang in the stand after each shave.

After each use I loosen and rinse in hot water. Then I take it apart, completely dry it and reassemble. In drying the blade, I place it on a towel and blot it dry, never wipe. By wiping you can compromise the cutting edges and any coatings, & increase the chances of cutting yourself. And like huck1680, I like to take care of my tools. Be attentive, keep your fingers away from the cutting edges, and you'll be OK.

I hold on to the sides of the head and unscrew the handle maybe one turn? just enough to loosen the top cap. then just rinse it out and tighten it up again. It'll dry just fine fully assembled. Quick and easy.
This. I use one razor for the life of the blade. I loosen the handle a bit and rinse after each shave, then shake, re-tighten and let it air dry. Any further fiddling is just asking for trouble. When the blade is depleted, it's on to the next razor.

Top Bottom