What's new

Question, just got a 3 piece model.

The one piece twist I took the blade out after the shave, rinsed it and the razor and let them dry. With the three piece I almost cut myself this morning. Do most of you take it apart each time to rinse, or do you rinse with the razor intact?

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I use a three piece often as I do not favour TTO razors. After the shave I disassemble the razor, rinse each part, towel dry, then leave to fully air dry; I do the same with the blade. Once fully dry I return the razor to my rotation in its case, and the blade to my Gillette ashtray ready for the next use. I have not yet cut myself, but care is needed.

The one piece twist I took the blade out after the shave, rinsed it and the razor and let them dry. With the three piece I almost cut myself this morning. Do most of you take it apart each time to rinse, or do you rinse with the razor intact?
Curious. Why would you almost cut yourself ?

When done shaving, hold the sides and turn it half way, not completely so that the handle is not off top cap and the side posts hold the blade from moving. Sufficient space to flush out lather and stubble under a slow tap water flow. Rinse it dry.

Tighten it up, "Don't go king Kong on it" as Geofatboy says.

When it's time to change the blade (usually 3 to 5) or put it away to pick up another razor, disassemble it fully, bin the blade and clean it up nice and dry and put it away.

I loosen the razor after us to rinse it, then disassemble it, pat everything dry and then reassemble it loosely to air-dry while it hangs in the stand. Actually cleaning the razor is done whenever I think it needs to be cleaned, which isn't very often really.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I take mine apart after each shave and rinse well, dry with a towel and put it back together. I do not tighten it up until I take it out of the stand to use so that it also air dries over a 24 hour period.

I rinse my razor well after each shave, but only disassemble and clean it when I change blades.

To avoid cutting yourself during disassembly, place the razor on your counter with the cap down. Put your fingers on each side of the handle and press down to hold the head in place while you unscrew the head. Since the blade and your fingers are on opposite sides of the baseplate, there's no danger of cutting yourself.

I am in the camp that loosens rinses and let air dry. I am at 6800 feet above sea level in a dry climate. Everything dries quick. Might do it differently in a moist place. Disassembly is only when the blade gets changed. I keep a few razors with blades in and random rotate on the whim.

I disassemble and wipe my blade after every shave due to hard water issues. The build of scum on the razor and blade needs to be cleaned of regularly to keep it under control. Scum on the blade bevels and edge will shorten the life of the blade so a gentle wipe of the bevels allows those coatings of PTFE to do their job.

I'm a bit more complicated than some; I loosen the head, rinse...blow...then place in its holder to dry. I don't completely disassemble between shaves.

When loosening, tightening, or disassembling, I'll use our hanging hand towel as a safety wrap/holder for the hand holding the head assembly. It's right by the sink, very convenient, and I don't worry about cutting myself. When tightening, I start hand tightening a bit (so that the towel won't get trapped between pieces), then use the hand towel.

When changing the blade, I'll completely disassemble the razor, use a knuckle brush to clean the various parts, use the hanging hand towel to dry everything, put in a new blade, loosely assemble the razor, then place it in its holder.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I have a large razor rotation and I remove my DE & SE blades after each shave and rinse blade and tap dry and placed in between to magnetic modified business cards for when it's time for next use and have been doing that for 4 years. Have never been seriously cut(knock on wood) but I'm cautious all the time with a razor blade.
My Schick injectors I leave the blade in the razor mostly and have had no issues. With injectors hot water rinse with a few puffs of air to blow any moisture out of small crevices and into the razor rack.

I realize this may be a bit OCD, but i loosen the razor, dip in a small tub of alcohol. Take it apart and dry all the parts off, set the blade aside, reassemble the razor loosely and hang it on the stand.

Top Bottom