What's new

Question for those who shave in the morning

Hi everyone. I started shaving with a DE razor about 2 years ago and I've always been an evening shaver for some reason. Typically I wash my face with a face wash/soap, lather up and do my thing and then I take a shower. It works just fine, but lately I've been thinking about shaving first thing in the morning. However, I'm a bit concerned that washing my face with a face wash twice a day might be a bit too much for my skin. I guess I won't know until I try, but how do you guys do it? Do you wash your face with a face wash or soap in the morning before you shave and then at night again when you shower?

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
However, I'm a bit concerned that washing my face with a face wash twice a day might be a bit too much for my skin. I guess I won't know until I try
You should be able to wash your face multiple times throughout the day. Maybe you have a stronger soap than my mild bar soap.
Twice a day seems like a minimum to me. My old skin likes to be gently washed.

I shave after hydrating my beard in the shower in the mornings.

I shave in the morning and just splash my face with water. I might shower at different times in the day depending on my routine and activity level. No shower before shaving for me. I use a face soap at night before bed.
That's what I'm thinking I will do. I'll just shave and use a moisturizer in the morning.

Thanks

You should be able to wash your face multiple times throughout the day. Maybe you have a stronger soap than my mild bar soap.
Twice a day seems like a minimum to me. My old skin likes to be gently washed.

I shave after hydrating my beard in the shower in the mornings.
I tried washing my face with a face wash twice a day in the past, but I think my skin reacted badly to it for some reason. I think my face wash might have been too strong? Who knows. I might give it a shot in the future again when I start shaving in the morning.

Thanks

Just get soap specifically made for your face. I'm currently using Oil of Olay. It's in a pump bottle, very gentle. Doesn't suds much at all. I've previously used Neutrogena, and it's pretty much the same. And, BTW these are both from Kroger and not expensive. I think you could easily wash your face 2 or 3 times a day and not worry about it.

Of course, I also use original formula Oil of Olay, and I use AOS aftershave balm. None of that alcohol-based aftershave stuff for me.

Wake up.
Espresso.
Picture for forum.
Soak brush in the bowl.
Wash my face with soap.
Shave.
Aftershave.
Shower.
Second after shave or balm.
Dress.
Cologne.
Breakfast.
Espresso.
Go.

As far as washing my face with soap, I do it anytime I feel like doing it. I do not see the problem.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I'm a morning shaver because it just feels correct to shave in the mornings. If I don't get right in there after breakfast and get it done, I'll find all kinds of reasons not to do it. Then I basically quit obsessing over it until the next morning when I can rectify my oversight.

Prep is usually drinking my coffee. :) "Lather up and go" seems to work for me. I also find lukewarm shaving more congenial than hot or cold. One causes me skin irritation, the other causes me psychological irritation. I am well aware that's me, not anybody else.

O.H.

My morning shave routine:
Wake up, get my shaving kit ready to go, put my brush in a mug of hot water, take my shower then shave. The whole routine takes about 35 minutes because I do several stretching exercises while I’m in the shower. I don’t have a face wash routine. What with the shower, my shaving soap and some shaving balm to finish everything off, I think I’m good to go.

I just go to my local drive through face wash. I have a monthly coupon. Yes, I am older now so it is a no touch.
My face is ceramic coated so I don't opt for the wax. I do admit on exit, the face blower messes up my hair. But at 66 I am grateful I still have hair...
BFX
If you are not having fun, you are doing it all wrong...
A clean face is a happy place..
But have you shaved today..
I razor is a terrible thing to waste..
Stop me, please...

I switched to morning shaves this past week and it's been great. I really like it. I just splash my face with some water, lather up, do a one pass shave, moisturize and that's it. It looks and it feels great. The only downside is that come evening I want to shave again :sad:

Thank you everyone!

I honestly think it's "a legend" to shave exclusively in the morning
You simply have to try... do you feel better in the evening? Good
Do you feel better in the morning? Very good
It all depends on your feelings
For reasons of necessity, I often shave in the evening, but it doesn't matter to me

Top Bottom