What's new

Question about Witch Hazel

I've been wet shaving for about a year and a half now, and since near the start I've been using Witch Hazel as part of my shave routine.

I had a question occur to me quite a while back that I never got around to asking until now, namely, am I fine using a generic pharmacy bought witch hazel, or is there a name brand witch hazel I should be using?

The shaving site that I buy from doesn't seem to sell witch hazel, but after reading the wikipedia page talking about hydrosols I figured it was worth asking.
The one I use now is labelled "Distilled Witch Hazel USP" with ingredients listed as Hamamelis Virginiana Linne, Alcohol and purified water.

The second question about witch hazel which just occurred to me is about light decomposition. The witch hazel I've seen is sold in an amber colored bottle, if I store it in a (smaller) clear bottle, am I risking it becoming less effective due to light exposure? I haven't read anything either way, I'm just making an assumption based on the bottle.

Thanks for the help :)

Michael

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Welcome to the finest wet shaving community in the World, Michael! Yes, you are perfectly fine using a generic Witch Hazel as part of your post shave routine. I use Thayers Witch Hazel simply because it has many nice scents that I like, performance is equal. Regarding your second question, from what I know, all liquids stored in brown/dark coloured bottles should be kept away from direct sunlight. The dark glass is used to give a better protection against sunlight.

I also use Witch Hazel and normally keep it in the cupboard under the sink so it is not exposed to light.

I have Dickinsons as well as Thayers. The Dickinsons I can get at my local supermarket, but the Thayers (scented as Mario says) I had to order in and I found the best pricing and freight from iherb.com.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
There was a huge thread on this a while back, but witch hazel is witch hazel...like Tylenol vs Walmart generics...all
the same.

Welcome to B&B!

All the witch hazel I"ve ever seen has been in a clear or translucent white container. I don't think there is a need to worry about decomposition. THe cheap stuuf works great, it's all I use.

I get it for $1.67/pint at Target. Great stuff. Don't confuse it with the 91% isopropyl alcohol in the same size and shape bottle, or you will weep in pain.

Bottles are usually coloured in order to prevent sunlight damaging the contents - brown and green bottles reduce UV light. With witch hazel though I don't really think you have to worry about it

Thank you everyone for the swift and informative replies, it's nice to know I haven't been using inferior product this whole time.

iherb.com looks like a worthwhile site, thank you for the recommendation OldGreyGuy, from the look of it I might be giving them a fair bit of my money in the near future ;)

The brands I've used all generic have been in clear glass bottles. I do however also use WH gel which while more expensive seems more concentrated and appares to be almost light blue. The brand here in the UK that I use is "Witch" and it does the job very well. Better than any balm.

I recently switched from generic witch hazel to an after shave that boasted of witch hazel being a primary ingredient on the pack. I'm sure there are several AS brands that have it but I haven't come across one till now. Its called Gatsby, from Japan, comes in a 140ml plastic bottle with Engrish on the packaging. Its very cheap but its so good that I bought 5 more packs. It has a satisfying sting, and although a liquid, feels more like a cream-ish lotion when rubbed in the hands and applied. Face feels awesome afterwards and moisturized as well. The smell kinda grew on me after a while but its not that bad, and the fragrance dissipates fast so I apply my regular English Blazer, Dunhill, Hattric..brut etc. AS 10 mins after.

Last edited:
Welcome to the finest wet shaving community in the World, Michael! Yes, you are perfectly fine using a generic Witch Hazel as part of your post shave routine. I use Thayers Witch Hazel simply because it has many nice scents that I like, performance is equal. Regarding your second question, from what I know, all liquids stored in brown/dark coloured bottles should be kept away from direct sunlight. The dark glass is used to give a better protection against sunlight.

What Marco says.

I use the Dickinson's because I like the dispenser cap, but otherwise there's no difference.

Not sure if it is light-sensitive; i go through a bottle of Dickinson's in about 2 or 3 months, so I doubt if that's an issue, but the Dickinson's and the generics I buy are in clear (at least non-tinted) bottles.

Last edited:
I use whatever is on sale, and I've never had a problem. WH is WH, so save your money unless you want some scent in yours.

Also try using some on any rough spots after you've completed your shave passes. It really sets up that stubble. :thumbup1:

I found the 2 major differences are witch hazel with alcohol added or plain and wiitch hazel with or without scent added. The stuff without alcohol and scent you can get in most health food stores. Its major benefit is it doesn't sting. The alcohol free stuff I use comes in a clear bottle and sure helped with razor burn when I first started.

Top Bottom