What's new

Question about soaking a trans with a label

Got this little 5"x2" translucent today. It has a little of the hard Arkansas label left on the back. I'd like to soak it in simple green to clean it up but I am concerned that since the label is soaked in oil too that it might totally disintegrate what's left of it. Anyone else done this? Thoughts?

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408127388.253279.jpg
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408127397.223170.jpg$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408127408.875421.jpg

As someone who just did this with a beautiful lily white I can say with certainty do not do it. There will be nothing left.
You're welcome.

Just lap the side you're going to use. If you REALLY want to soak it, just submerge the top side, leave the labeled side well above the SG. I did this with a washita, would up with a perfect line separating white from red washita where the SG level was. If you need a perfect stone, I'd cut the label off with a razor, then soak the stone, gently wash the label, dry it and reattach.

Clear fingernail polish across the entire bottom and half way up the sides. I do this to my JNat and Coticule and it makes drying faster and does not let water soak where not needed. The Clear Nail Polish should not hurt the label, but you might test a small spot before going all the way.

Clear fingernail polish across the entire bottom and half way up the sides. I do this to my JNat and Coticule and it makes drying faster and does not let water soak where not needed. The Clear Nail Polish should not hurt the label, but you might test a small spot before going all the way.
I'd worry the oil may interfere with that though, and still come away (taking the polish with it) in the SG.

That would just seal the oil in. I'll probably just lap it and scrap the oil off the back and be done with it.

Good point. You might be able to clean up most of the oil with Isopropol alcohol which will hep with the drying. Just don't get on label.

That's a sweet little stone Matt. Have you used it yet?

Nope haven't used it yet. It has a nice dish to it. Probably going to try it as is.

I did scrape all the oil off the outside of it and wiped it down. Still had the original pencil marks on the end when I scraped the gunk off.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408234848.597008.jpg
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408234863.079051.jpg
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408234928.923817.jpg

Top Bottom