What's new

Question about Moka Pots

I am ordering a 1-cup Bialetti Moka Pot today and I am also wanting to get some Italian coffee to go along with it (maybe).

I noticed that the 1-cup model produces 2 oz. of Espresso/Coffee/Liquid. How many ounces of ground coffee goes in the filter basket to produce this? I was thinking about getting a 8.8 oz. can of Illy to go along with it and didn't know how long that will last.

I have some breakfast blend from Whole Foods for my french press. Could I grind it down smaller to use in the Moka Pot instead of purchasing the Illy?

I am not interested in drinking straight espresso and will more than likely make Latte's and Americano.

I live in a somewhat rural area and until I make it to the city, my only outlet for beans is Wal-mart or Hy-Vee.

Thanks

You can grind any bean for a moka pot. You should grind it the same as for drip, but on the fine side of drip. I have the 3 cup thing which takes (I guess) about 22 grams of coffee. I doubt your 1 cup takes 7-8 grams, which would be about right, but it probably takes more--for the pot, so to speak.

i have th 6 cup model, and i grind the same beans that i would put in my french press for it, just a bit finer. There is no need for a special bean because any quality bean will make a good tasting strong shot in a moka pot.

You ought not worry about the weight of coffee, just fill the deposit and tamper it weell. In Spain, this is the most common way to prepare coffee, because it is so similar to espresso, so I am quite familiar with it.

The moka pot arrived as well as a can of Illy coffee and a $.99 IKEA milk frother.

I am now making coffee that tastes just like it came from some fancy bistro.

Thanks!

Top Bottom