What's new

Moka Pot Technique

How embarrassing. I've been drinking moka pot espresso for decades.:cuppa: I always put cold water in the base, turned the pot on high until the coffee pot filled and sputtered. Today, this video showed up on my YouTube page. And based on this video, I've been doing it wrong.:cursing:
I am interested to hear your thoughts.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
James Hoffman is freaking awesome! He's an expert on all things coffee, and is a connoisseur. He knows how to make coffee by all brewing methods, and he owns his own coffee roasting company, where he himself, sells coffee to local coffee shops.

If you want to get a real coffee education, you can most certainly get one from Mr. Hoffman. He also has multiple books that you can read, so if you are a book reader, that will surely be enjoyable reads for you.

Truth is, we all learn that we have been making our coffee the wrong way. But, we learn the error of our ways, and we make sure to do better next time. Regardless of whatever brewer that one uses, you can always learn to do it better.

I have learned that Moka pots are too finicky for my tastes, and I won't even bother learning to use them, so more power to ya. I am very content with my auto drip brewer. And make no mistake, I actually own, and have used, multiple coffee percolators, which are similar to Moka pots.

If one gets lucky, one can make a real delicious pot of coffee using a percolator. But when one of those auto electric percolators fail, your done, simple as that. I much prefer high end auto drip brewers. None of that cheap 30 dollar garbage though.

I am talking about brewers that let you set the boiling point for altitude, adjust brewing temperature, as well as pre-soak AKA bloom times. Brewers like that are awesome, and I love my Behmore Brazen Plus 3.0 brewer.

Continue learning how to do better with your Moka Pot grasshopper, you are learning from your sensai Mr. Hoffman.

Legion

Staff member
I use a moka pot every morning, and I cant say I can be bothered with all that extra effort. I might try boiling the water first tomorrow, just to see if I can tell.

Normally it's cold water in the bottom, when I hear the sputter start, get off my butt and take it off the heat.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
My technique is I grind the beans just before use, use a medium grind, level the grounds but do not tamp them, boil the water before adding to the lower chamber, and use a low and slow burner heat. I read this method on the web and it has certainly improved my coffee - works for me every time.

1686734360626.png

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
My technique is I grind the beans just before use, use a medium grind, level the grounds but do not tamp them, boil the water before adding to the lower chamber, and use a low and slow burner heat. I read this method on the web and it has certainly improved my coffee - works for me every time.

View attachment 1670646

Oh my gosh, I am mesmerized in the beauty of what looks like molten gold brewing in there. 😍 Thanks for sharing this with us!

Quite some faffing around.

I did try the hot water part before but it makes handling the pot tricky. I freshly grind, don't tamp, put it on low heat and stop before it gargles and sputters. I can't transfer the crema to the cup and it might be not super clear but it's also not overly bitter as I use less water (darker roasts just as he explained).

All in all I'm sure he gets better coffee out of his pot than me but I'm not willing to put so much effort into my morning cup.

linty1

My wallet cries.
I haven't broken out the moka pot every since we moved and the stove has changed from electric to gas... but I'm tempted to this weekend, gas stove does behave diff and while experimenting is nice, it can also be frustrating. I'll keep it in mind. Do you drink your moka coffee just as is? I remember once I forgot that it is stronger stuff, had a mug of it like I normally would... about 30 mins later I could feel my heart beat in my head.

I haven't broken out the moka pot every since we moved and the stove has changed from electric to gas... but I'm tempted to this weekend, gas stove does behave diff and while experimenting is nice, it can also be frustrating. I'll keep it in mind. Do you drink your moka coffee just as is? I remember once I forgot that it is stronger stuff, had a mug of it like I normally would... about 30 mins later I could feel my heart beat in my head.
Gas is much easier for the Moka it was was basically invented for that kind of stove so no worries there. I do put a bit of milk into my cup but that won't change the overall coffein intake so it's more about how strong your regular brew is. Also Robusta beans have way more coffein than Arabica so starting with a 100% Arabica might be a solution with the risk that you have higher acidity levels to cope with.

View attachment 1670646
I followed this process exactly this morning and I found the coffee to be less bitter and more smooth...definitely worth the effort of hot water instead of cold and letting it do it's thing slowly. I'm converted!

Ad Astra

The Instigator
:c2: What matters is the "espumita" ...

Cuban Aunt Method: Fill moka pot with cold tap water. Spoon grounds in until level; maybe tamp, maybe not.

On stove, burner on high.

Wait, wait wait. First tiny bit of coffee that bubbles up MUST be poured over the two spoonfuls of sugar in your little tin espresso pot. Mix into a brown paste. Vigorously! Everyone in the house should hear that spoon whipping around the pot.

Pour the rest of the coffee in over that delicious sugary brown paste. A fine cream or espumita forms ... pour to lucky family members and friends.

If you miss that first tiny bit of bubbling coffee - no cream or espumita. Just ordinary sweet espresso.

AA

Have to admit I really wanted to like moka pot coffee.

Tried a bunch of different brands of coffees.

But after a lifetime of percolator/drip coffee, moka pot coffee is like a heart attack in a cup. It’s just too strong for this weakling :sad:

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I always liked the Cubano cafe au lait or cafe con latte: a scoop of Bustelo or La Llave untamped in the Bialetti. Microwave an equal amount of milk and froth it with an Aerolatte. Mix the two and read the paper, a lovely morning cup.

:c2: What matters is the "espumita" ...

Cuban Aunt Method: Fill moka pot with cold tap water. Spoon grounds in until level; maybe tamp, maybe not.

On stove, burner on high.

Wait, wait wait. First tiny bit of coffee that bubbles up MUST be poured over the two spoonfuls of sugar in your little tin espresso pot. Mix into a brown paste. Vigorously! Everyone in the house should hear that spoon whipping around the pot.

Pour the rest of the coffee in over that delicious sugary brown paste. A fine cream or espumita forms ... pour to lucky family members and friends.

If you miss that first tiny bit of bubbling coffee - no cream or espumita. Just ordinary sweet espresso.

AA
This is the only reason I have a Moka pot. But after multiple attempts and burnt coffee even using Hoffmanns technique, I am unable to replicate that rich, creamy shot of goodness.
I would have liked to experienced little Havana but the cafe cubano around the Orlando area were amazing.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
This is the only reason I have a Moka pot. But after multiple attempts and burnt coffee even using Hoffmanns technique, I am unable to replicate that rich, creamy shot of goodness.
I would have liked to experienced little Havana but the cafe cubano around the Orlando area were amazing.
The ratio of sugar to first-bit-of-coffee is tricky. The sugar paste is key, as is the whipping part. Keep trying, it's worth it!

AA

I use James' method and it works well for me. Although, 99% of the time I use my Clever Dripper also with his method since the Moka Pot takes a while to heat on my gas stove even with the diffuser plate. I'll have to pop it back on after I get a bag of an espresso blend from Trade.

The Moka Pot arrived in my house via my partner after visiting Italy and her AirBnB host brewing with one. She went to the Bialetti store and brought back a 2-up pot. We later picked up a 6-pot, but seldom use it.

I use 9 cup mokka pot most mornings. James' suggest in his book 100g/1 litre ratio for mokka. My mokka pot get ~475g water. If I try suggestion it will be ~47g It dont fit. I use 18-20g coffee and cold water, works for me. (water hardness are other theme)

Top Bottom